Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: Ł7.99
  • 4 hours: Ł17.99
  • Full flight: up to Ł23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - Ł1.99 or Ł2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - Ł4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
Ł4.99 (MAN / NCL)
Ł6.99 (ARN / HAM)
Ł7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
Ł8.99 (AGP)
Ł9.99 (LED / SOF)
Ł11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Schind
There are more. G-STBL has it fitted (mentioned on Twitter on Feb 25th that it was fitted 'a few weeks ago').
CIVW, CIVY and a couple of the BYG's have had major maintenance recently which you'd assume would include wifi fitting.

The problem is that BA don't announce which planes have it until you're on board so you're relying on tweets, messages on here or hoping someone at BA Enginerring comes along with a list of aircraft that have it.
Sure there are probably a few that might be under the FT radar but I'm not optimistic that "90% of fleet" will have wifi within the next 8 months.

Anyone know where the wiki is?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Schind
The problem is that BA don't announce which planes have it until you're on board so you're relying on tweets
I spotted on Saturday that a few flights were showing that WiFi was available on the main airport departure boards. Don't think it was showing in the lounge, though. So a little bit more warning, but not much!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex BD*S)
Originally Posted by Calum
Sure there are probably a few that might be under the FT radar but I'm not optimistic that "90% of fleet" will have wifi within the next 8 months.

Anyone know where the wiki is?
Does anyone know if there is a rollout plan, i.e. X aircraft to be fitted of Y type in Z month?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Did the 777 ex-LGW G-VIIX that came back from Singapore refurb get WiFi fitted? This would make sense but maybe not if it’s not done in SIN...
At least some, if not all the 772s are having wifi fitted at Shannon. VIIS is there now getting it done. I've also been told the 788s will be fitted there in due course.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Naz1
Quite a lot of the short haul aircraft have actually been fitted, 2 Wi-Fi receivers on the bottom of the aircraft. The delay will be due to CAA radio licensing or the Wi-Fi ground towers that are set to be used.
So far 71 shorthaul aircraft have had WiFI installed. BA is currently awaiting approval from the CAA to activate the system.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Scotflyer80
BA is currently awaiting approval from the CAA to activate the system.
Is there a source for this? If planes already fly with the antenna mounted, then I would have expected that the aerodynamic, interference and whatever else testing would have already been carried out, activated or not?

Considering that the European Aviation Network was only "completed" on February, 5th (Inmarsat, Deutsche Telekom complete European Aviation Network - SpaceNews.com) I am personally not holding my breath for a quick entry into commercial operation, even if there was imminent CAA approval if that is indeed outstanding - "Inmarsat and Deutsche Telekom said EAN service is scheduled to start during the first half of this year, a delay from previous schedules that anticipated a service start during the second half of last year."

Which is probably part of the reason why there is such a big gap between BA's announcement and reality...
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:17 pm

WiFi is delicious
Unfortunately there was no wifi on the A380
Ziz likes this.

Last edited by olouie; Apr 6, 2018 at 10:34 am
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Boeing 747-400

G-CIVX

G-CIVS

G-CIVR

G-BYGC

G-IVV

G-IVY

G-IVW

Boeing 777-300

G-STBE
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Quark999
Is there a source for this? If planes already fly with the antenna mounted, then I would have expected that the aerodynamic, interference and whatever else testing would have already been carried out, activated or not?

Considering that the European Aviation Network was only "completed" on February, 5th (Inmarsat, Deutsche Telekom complete European Aviation Network - SpaceNews.com) I am personally not holding my breath for a quick entry into commercial operation, even if there was imminent CAA approval if that is indeed outstanding - "Inmarsat and Deutsche Telekom said EAN service is scheduled to start during the first half of this year, a delay from previous schedules that anticipated a service start during the second half of last year."

Which is probably part of the reason why there is such a big gap between BA's announcement and reality...
https://www.mobileeurope.co.uk/press...belgian-ruling

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...ourt-decision/

​​I don’t believe the system can be used by BA until the cases are settled.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by Scotflyer80; Apr 5, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:44 am

Those are competition challenges to the original process for the allocation of the frequencies though - for the UK that's dealt with by Ofcom, not the CAA. It looks like Viasat is challenging in every single European country with every single regulator - UK and France's approval still stands, but the Belgian one now seems to be in limbo. Admittedly I didn't know about this latest Belgian decision, but that still doesn't sound to me as if BA is actually waiting for CAA approval to switch anything on. It sounds more like the entire EAN project is being delayed, both by the slow rollout of the ground stations (now complete as of February 5th), and secondly by the competition challenges for the frequency allocations launched by Viasat, even though Inmarsat/Deutsche Telekom are adamant that those challenges are not leading to delays.

I suppose there would be an option of using only the satellite links over the affected regions but I don't know whether that's technically feasible and certainly would lead to further delays.

While regulators Ofcom and ARCEP have approved the use of the CGCs in the UK and France respectively, regulators including Ireland’s ComReg are still investigating.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Scotflyer80

So far 71 shorthaul aircraft have had WiFI installed. BA is currently awaiting approval from the CAA to activate the system.
I would also very much like to know where this information came from, and possible the breakdown of aircraft type if you have it? Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
what about long hall? I submit that on shorthaul by its very nature it's far less important to have connectivity then long haul...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by aceman
what about long hall? I submit that on shorthaul by its very nature it's far less important to have connectivity then long haul...
I think this thread is covering both long-haul as well as short-haul and as such is sometimes a bit confusing as they are really two completely separate systems and rollouts.

So I think in summary:
- Long-Haul - System live and rollout underway with Gogo 2KU. As the system is new there are certain reliability issues with the physical antennas at least on Delta (https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...bility-issues/). Also limited to certain aircraft types as the supplemental type certificates for the installation of the antennas has not been obtained yet for some - and I think in some cases the antenna design hasn't even been finalised. According to https://www.gogoair.com/learning-cen...?download=true at the moment there is no STC for A380s and 787s yet, so you won't see long-haul Wifi on those for a while, although I don't know how old that document is.
- Short-Haul - Using European Aviation Network (Inmarsat / Deutsche Telekom) with IAG as the launch customer and not active yet. System ground station rollout complete, satellite backhaul active and frequency allocation obtained from all European regulators, but competition challenges from Viasat over allocation process. Also, system was declared "completed" only two months ago, behind schedule. According to ScotFlyer80, antennas have been installed on 71 aircraft and they are flying with them - but we don't quite know the source for that information.

So once the EAN is active and definitely not impeded by Viasat's competition challenge or indeed some other technical issue (we don't know what the system being "complete" really means, especially with BA being the first commerical customer) there *could* be one big-bang shorthaul switch-on, if there are indeed that many antennas already flying. Those antenna installations must have been going on for a long time "under the radar" (pardon the pun), and at a much higher rate than the long-haul installations. Given that there are TWO antennas involved (one for the S-Band satellite and one for the 4G LTE technology) that's somewhat surprising, but then there are far more planes to get through, and perhaps the installation isn't as involved as for Gogo's antennas.

Last edited by Quark999; Apr 6, 2018 at 10:19 am Reason: IAG as a whole is the launch customer
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:18 am

This link is interesting about the specifics of the antenna locations for the EAN:
https://www.inmarsataviation.com/con...ionNetwork.pdf

It's actually three antennas, one on top and two at the bottom of the aircraft - they are apparently "low drag" and look far less complex than Gogo's 2KU antennas which operate in much higher frequency spectrum, so while there seems to be a lot of them they are probably indeed much quicker to install, which is the whole point for single-aisle shorthaul fleets.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think I read yesterday that all shorthaul Airbuses are now fitted.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.