Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by yankees368
Is there any chance we can also track narrowbody Wi-Fi installs? The Euro Wi-Fi system has been installed on a couple of A321s for testing and I think it'd be great to track that as well.
Let's certainly have the details here, I think this thread covers all BA aircraft. I don't recall anyone getting shorthaul to work yet.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Is there any chance we can also track narrowbody Wi-Fi installs? The Euro Wi-Fi system has been installed on a couple of A321s for testing and I think it'd be great to track that as well.
Do we know which ones? The Lufthansa WiFi antenna is comparably huge, not seen anything similar on BA.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The BA narrowbodied aircraft antenna are on the belly of the aircraft.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:18 pm

We're not 100% sure, but it seems a few A321s have received the equipment already. The antennas are very, very small and are on the belly of the aircraft. See here for details: https://paxex.aero/2018/02/inmarsat-...m_campaign=654
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
We're not 100% sure, but it seems a few A321s have received the equipment already. The antennas are very, very small and are on the belly of the aircraft. See here for details: https://paxex.aero/2018/02/inmarsat-...m_campaign=654
Thanks for that link and the photo of the antenna. Someone needs to check G-MEDM, an A321 workhorse, by the sounds of it. It went to NCL and MXP today.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just flew on 77W G-STBE. Shortly after take-off the crew announced that wi-fi was available on this flight. I tried to register an account in order to access the service via my iPad, and got stuck on the section where you are supposed to select two security questions from a drop-down menu. The drop-down menu simply didn’t appear, in any of my browsers (Safari, Chrome or Firefox). I mentioned the problem to the crew and they said several other passengers had attempted to use the service using a variety of devices (including laptops) and all had encountered the same problem as me, and therefore no-one had managed to connect. So a poor experience for all concerned and no revenue for BA.

Last edited by Starship73; Feb 11, 2018 at 1:54 am Reason: Tried to add screen-grabs via iPad but failed!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex BD*S)
Flew on G-CIVR on Friday. Once the account was set up, I was able to get online, paying for a pass per device. That said, as I put my laptop to sleep over lunch, it asked me to pay again after lunch, which wasn't great. Filed a claim with support, so we'll see.

On an unrelated note, are there any plans to equip the A380s with WiFi?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
The flight i had back from GRU the other day had wifi installed so Thought Ill try out the free 60 minutes on offer, still needed me to sign up. All fine until it asked me to choose memorable questions foe account recovery and then gave no options in drop down menu. Dead end and unable to sign up. I'm reasonably IT literate and tried on phone, on laptop using different browsers, no luck. Am I missing something? can you sign up in advance before you even get on the plane?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by florian
Flew on G-CIVR on Friday. Once the account was set up, I was able to get online, paying for a pass per device. That said, as I put my laptop to sleep over lunch, it asked me to pay again after lunch, which wasn't great. Filed a claim with support, so we'll see.

On an unrelated note, are there any plans to equip the A380s with WiFi?
Hi,

I believe the plan is for 90% of the long haul fleet to be equipped with wifi by 2019 per;

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board

I would assume that some of the aircaft schedlued for retirment in the next few years would not get wifi and therefore the A380s would get wifi but no idea on the timescale.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Infocustv
can you sign up in advance before you even get on the plane?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. https://shop.ba.com should work - not sure if it has a register link on it, but I can certainly access my normal account on it while not on BA Wifi.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:10 am

I was able to successfully Register via the above link, and got past the 2 security questions and their drop-downs. It wouldn't let me pre-register a card however.
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Flew home on G-CIVS on Sunday night, the wifi was mostly well behaved, but went through spells of unreliability, which looked a mix of loss of satellite uplink and the onboard gateway restarting.

When it was working the latency and speeds seemed generally fine for everything but highly interactive stuff.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Currently being on BA67 to PHL and the aircraft is equipped with WiFi; the streaming option is working quite well, however, the main portal/interface is somewhat weird. Couldn't load it on the iPhone or on the iPad, was able to login there but no pricing options were being displayed. No option to choose? Was only able to get it done by using the laptop, there I experienced no issues at all. But shouldn't it also work on the phone and tablets?
Edit: when deleting the cache, the iPhone finally works too!

Last edited by Frequent_Flyer1; Feb 15, 2018 at 10:47 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Currently being on BA67 to PHL and the aircraft is equipped with WiFi; the streaming option is working quite well, however, the main portal/interface is somewhat weird. Couldn't load it on the iPhone or on the iPad, was able to login there but no pricing options were being displayed. No option to choose? Was only able to get it done by using the laptop, there I experienced no issues at all. But shouldn't it also work on the phone and tablets?
Edit: when deleting the cache, the iPhone finally works too!
If the portal doesn’t appear automatically in future, try typing shop.ba.com into your browser when connected to the network. This should open the page where you can purchase packages.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:35 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
I flew yesterday on G-ZBJI, a 787 delivered last autumn. I noticed two encrypted wifi networks throughout the flight - BABG-ZBJI and GP54913990. One of the cabin crew seemed particularly into technology. He told me that lots of BA aircraft are have the necessary hardware for wifi, but BA has delayed activating the wifi for some reason. I got the impression that BA wants to have a more big-bang launch than incrementally and quietly adding the service to individual aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.