On-board WiFi: soft launch is underway

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 19, 2:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Schind
Wiki Link
Onboard WiFi is being progessively introduced to both BA's long and shorthaul fleets and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout.

See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Longhaul aircraft with WiFi fitted
A380 - 5 Aircraft

G-XLEA, G-XLEB, G-XLEG, G-XLEH, G-XLEI

747 (Super Hi-J) - 17 Aircraft

G-CIVF, G-CIVH, G-CIVI, G-CIVR, G-CIVS, G-CIVV, G-CIVW, G-CIVX, G-CIVY, G-CIVZ
G-BYGA, G-BYGB, G-BYGC, G-BYGD, G-BYGE, G-BYGF, G-BYGG

777-200 (4 Class) - 23 Aircraft

​​​​​​G-VIIA, G-VIIC, G-VIID, G-VIIE, G-VIIF, G-VIIG, G-VIIH, G-VIIJ, G-VIIK, G-VIIL, G-VIIM, G-VIIN, G-VIIS, G-VIIV, G-VIIW, G-VIIY
G-YMMJ, G-YMMK, G-YMML, G-YMMN, G-YMMO, G-YMMP
G-RAES

​​​​​​777-200 (3 Class) - 14 Aircraft

G-VIIO, G-VIIP, G-VIIU, G-VIIX
G-YMMA, G-YMMB, G-YMMC, G-YMMD, G-YMME, G-YMMF, G-YMMR, G-YMMS, G-YMMT, G-YMMU

777-300 - 8 Aircraft

G-STBA, G-STBB, G-STBC, G-STBD, G-STBE, G-STBG, G-STBI, G-STBL

787-9 - 2 Aircraft

G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ

This is the current cost for longhaul flights:

Basic (Browse package)
  • 1 hour: 4.99
  • 4 hours: 10.99
  • Full flight: 14.99

Fast (Stream package)
  • 1 hour: 7.99
  • 4 hours: 17.99
  • Full flight: 23.99

Longhaul aircraft planned NOT to have WiFi fitted
BA have decided to not fit WiFi to the aircraft listed below. Some of the aircraft are due to be retired from the fleet over the next two years. This is thought to be part of the reason for not fitting them with WiFi.

747 (Mid-J) - 16 Aircraft

G-BNLN, G-BNLY
G-CIVA, G-CIVB, G-CIVC, G-CIVD, G-CIVE, G-CIVJ, G-CIVK, G-CIVL, G-CIVM, G-CIVN, G-CIVO, G-CIVP, G-CIVT, G-CIVU

747 (Super Hi-J) - 1 Aircraft

G-CIVG

777-200 (4 Class) - 3 Aircraft

G-ZZZA, G-ZZZB, G-ZZZC

Longhaul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi
WiFi installation on the remaining longhaul aircraft in operation is expected to be completed in 2020. Dates shown below are roughly when each aircraft is planned to return to service having undergone WiFi installation. Aircraft are listed firstly by type, then listed by planned return to service date.

Information shown may subject to change and is based on info posted in this thread.

A380

G-XLEC - 13 May (Currently at MNL)
G-XLEJ - 18 June
G-XLED - 18 August
G-XLEE - 24 October
G-XLEK - 29 November
G-XLEF - February 2020
G-XLEL - 2020

777-200 (4 Class)

G-YMMH - 13 May
G-YMMG - 23 May
G-VIIB - 30 June
G-YMMI - 13 July

777-200 (3 Class)

G-VIIR - 30 April (Currently at CWL)
G-VIIT - 24 October

​​​​​​777-300

G-STBK - 18 June
G-STBH - 27 November
G-STBF - 2020
G-STBJ - 2020

787-8

All expected to be fitted in 2020

787-9

G-ZBKK - 23 April (Currently at CWL)
G-ZBKH - 2 May
G-ZBKL - 3 July
G-ZBKM - 12 July
G-ZBKG - 20 July
G-ZBKN - 28 July
G-ZBKO - 20 August
G-ZBKP - 22 November
G-ZBKA - 2020
G-ZBKB - 2020
G-ZBKC - 2020
G-ZBKD - 2020
G-ZBKE - 2020
G-ZBKF - 2020
G-ZBKR - 2020
G-ZBKS - 2020
Shorthaul aircraft with WiFi fitted and enabled
Following testing the system went live on the first few aircraft in March 2019 with full rollout expected by summer 2019.

A320 - 3 Aircraft

G-GATK
G-TTNC
G-TTOE

The following aircraft have WiFi fitted and in use for testing purposes only:

A319 - 2 Aircraft

G-EOUA
G-EUPP

A320 (CEO) - 8 Aircraft

G-EUUG, G-EUUK, G-EUUL, G-EUUM, G-EUUN, G-EUUP
G-EUYE
G-TTOB

The cost of wifi on shorthaul flights is dependant on the route. So far the following prices are known:-

Messaging - 1.99 to 2.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
6.99 (HAM)
7.99 (LIS / PMI)
8.99 (AGP)
9.99 (SOF)

There have also been one hour browse & stream packages available for 4.99 reported on the LGW-PMI and LHR-SOF routes. It remains to be seen if this is a permanent feature or price-testing as the service rolls out.

Shorthaul aircraft NOT planned to receive WiFi
BA plan to withdraw a number of their A319 aircraft over the next two years. As a result the aircraft listed below will not be fitted with WiFi.

A319 - 30 Aircraft

G-EUOB to I
G-EUPA to K, G-EUPW
G-DBCA-H, G-DBCJ, G-DBCK
Background information:
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 9, 17, 2:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Well I suppose BA could 'self sponsor' too. Particularly for BAEC status members.
I'd say no thanks to that. I'd rather pay and get a decent speed than have it free with a lot of people doing video streaming just because it's free and slowing it right down.
dylanks likes this.
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
BA travel trade site reporting launch is starting December 2017:

Customers will soon be able to connect to the internet as we aim to have 90% of our fleet installed with Hi-Speed Wi-Fi by 2019, starting with 4 of our longhaul aircraft* by the end of this year.

We will have two packages available to purchase onboard starting from 4.99:
  1. BROWSE for email, messaging, browsing the web and social media (excluding streaming)
  2. STREAM with faster speeds that support streaming services such as music and videos

For a limited period thanks to our partner Visa, we are offering all customers flying on a Wi-Fi enabled aircraft one hour of free browsing connectivity until the end of January. If the aircraft is enabled, an announcement will be made by the cabin crew and instructions will be available on how to register and log on by joining the ‘BA Wi-Fi’ network.

*selected 747 Super High J’s and 777-300
Old Dec 13, 17, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
On BA192 via G-CIVX right now about to descend to LHR.

FA made an announcement about the wifi as we were taxiing out. She said "As of yesterday, (12 Dec) every BA jumbo is wifi equipped".

Remarks about the wifi service...

1. It's very annoying that you cannot sign into GoGo. I tried all sorts of things, but was only able to pay / connect as a guest. This meant I could only connect one device. On AA, you sign in and can switch from laptop to smartphone during the flight. This was not the case with the HighLife Connect.

2. Speeds were really slow for most of the flight, and connection was back and forth a lot. Doesn't seem to be as stable as AA's Panasonic from my experience.

3. Pricing is good, though.

Nice to finally be able to connect on the BA longhauls. This might cause me to fly BA TATL more frequently vs. AA. Might.
Old Dec 14, 17, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze (!)
Most of them lack the WiFi antenna on the rear fuselage, I think only the four as per the wiki are equipped, they are well behind.
Old Dec 15, 17, 1:39 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Had it recently LHR-SFO. No announcement made whatsoever -- in fact, when I asked crew about it, they said they'd been instructed NOT to announce anything about it.

I couldn't do any kind of account setup -- had to sign in as a guest.

Over far-north Canada, we lost connectivity for ~30 min. Afterwards, Gogo wanted me to repurchase access. I live-chatted and got them to give me a promo code to pay for resumption of service.

It was highly spotty and slow. Some websites more responsive than others.

Happy to have it, but it's far from a smooth experience yet.
Old Dec 19, 17, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Just flew G-CIVF yesterday to DFW. No wifi. FYI.
Old Dec 19, 17, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL; CCR; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
Just flew G-CIVF yesterday to DFW. No wifi. FYI.
Ditto for G-CIVV to JFK yesterday.
econometrics likes this.
Old Dec 22, 17, 7:27 am

Programs: TransitionMetal HyperElite Card(tm)
Dumb question - why the antenna housed on top of the fuselage in a not-so-aerodynamic box as opposed to in the top of the tailfin?
Old Dec 22, 17, 7:48 am

It would be awfully embarrassing if 2 Star SkyTrax rated Ukraine International (PS) were to have Wi-Fi on their four second hand 772's before BA.

Isn't it years since BA announced this Wi-Fi rollout? PS stated they were getting 772's in October and will take delivery in March, the a/c are coming from AI where it was not installed.
Old Dec 25, 17, 1:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by alexwuk View Post
Dumb question - why the antenna housed on top of the fuselage in a not-so-aerodynamic box as opposed to in the top of the tailfin?
There is a lot involved in the periphery of the antenna, so the 3 ft antenna is better fitted on the fuselage. More here: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2014/1...enna-blisters/
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 25, 17, 3:47 pm

Programs: TransitionMetal HyperElite Card(tm)
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
There is a lot involved in the periphery of the antenna, so the 3 ft antenna is better fitted on the fuselage. More here: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2014/1...enna-blisters/
Interesting article, but it doesn't really answer the key part of the question: why punch a hole in the top of the fuselage and add high-drag button as opposed to the Aircraft OEM including an empty "antenna box" in the upper-most part of the tailfin?
Old Dec 25, 17, 7:06 pm

Interesting article, but it doesn't really answer the key part of the question: why punch a hole in the top of the fuselage and add high-drag button as opposed to the Aircraft OEM including an empty "antenna box" in the upper-most part of the tailfin?
Maybe they will in future. Current WiFi antennae wouldn't fit and even the latest aircraft were on the drawing board long before onboard WiFi became a common thing.
alexwuk likes this.
Old Dec 26, 17, 1:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN
The antenna box there is not meant for satellite antennae... plus you probably don"t want to add weight and drag to a tail fin that is designed differently...
alexwuk likes this.
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MFCC View Post
777s should begin to have WiFi fitted soon, with the first aircraft to have it installed being G-STBB, a 77W.
Had this plane on 9th Dec to SYD but no WiFi sadly.
Old Jan 12, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club SILVER
Wifi on 777

I had a very surprising experience this evening. I was on BA164 TLV/LHR, which is served by a 777 - and as I was getting ready to put my iPhone into flight mode at Ben Gurion, I noticed a wifi network labelled BAWifi. I mentioned this to one of the cabin crew, who denied it could be the case, because it was only being rolled out on 747s, but he was wrong, and the CSM made an announcement about it just before taxi/take-off. Like the cabin crew member, I had thought it was only on a few 747s, but clearly the roll out is going out more widely.

Search this Thread