FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1869653-faq-status-board-wifi-rollout-ba-aircraft.html)

msm2000uk Dec 2, 2017 10:12 am

Do any of the 787-9's have WiFi?

I was parked up next to G-ZBKE, and the below showed on my Available Networks.

Mhttps://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...77e00f770a.png

13901 Dec 2, 2017 11:22 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 29126121)
Do any of the 787-9's have WiFi?

I was parked up next to G-ZBKE, and the below showed on my Available Networks.

Mhttps://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...77e00f770a.png

Yes they do have a WiFi of sorts, but not for customers' use (or even crew's). Basically, when the plane lands it "downloads" its status so that Engineering can see what awaits them onboard even before having to debrief the pilots and check the log.

Had to explain this to a customer some time ago and he wouldn't just understand this or admit that this could be a possibility. It was all a ploy to prevent him from using "our" Wifi.

msm2000uk Dec 2, 2017 11:42 am

Originally Posted by 13900 (Post 29126305)
Yes they do have a WiFi of sorts, but not for customers' use (or even crew's). Basically, when the plane lands it "downloads" its status so that Engineering can see what awaits them onboard even before having to debrief the pilots and check the log.

Had to explain this to a customer some time ago and he wouldn't just understand this or admit that this could be a possibility. It was all a ploy to prevent him from using "our" Wifi.

Ah very interesting - thanks for the info 13900.

M

hsmall Dec 3, 2017 7:49 am

well, no more planes seem to have been added recently...

This may be a very slow roll-out.

13901 Dec 3, 2017 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 29126358)
Ah very interesting - thanks for the info 13900.

M

No worries ;)

Originally Posted by hsmall (Post 29128772)
well, no more planes seem to have been added recently...

This may be a very slow roll-out.

As far as I can hear, and bear in mind this is third-fourth-hand rumours, the provider is having troubles on performance. It's not as bad as the product on SH (which on paper should be a lot easier as it relies on cell towers on the ground), which is having even technical-legal larger issues, or so I understand. Bottom line, it's not as easy as it seems and for once I'm glad our bosses have learned the importance of not going 'gung-ho'. BoB and other initiatives have given a good lesson.

1010101 Dec 3, 2017 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by 13900 (Post 29129529)
No worries ;)
As far as I can hear, and bear in mind this is third-fourth-hand rumours, the provider is having troubles on performance. It's not as bad as the product on SH (which on paper should be a lot easier as it relies on cell towers on the ground), which is having even technical-legal larger issues, or so I understand. Bottom line, it's not as easy as it seems and for once I'm glad our bosses have learned the importance of not going 'gung-ho'. BoB and other initiatives have given a good lesson.

That all sounds rather like the aircraft cleaning excuse. Bigger and more complex fleets than BA's seem to be managing it so why are BA having such difficulties.

Telecasterman Dec 3, 2017 9:53 pm

I’ve been travelling on various airlines for two months now with WiFi.
YMMV but here’s what I’ve found.
  1. Emirates when working it’s not bad BUT they have a lot of downtime taking up cabin crew time trying to sort.
  2. American - very good
  3. Virgin Australia- good
The technology is there but there are still issues and they can possibly become service complaints so I guess I can kinda see BA being cautious

That said the $19 for entire flight connection AA charges is good value and of course extra revenue

13901 Dec 7, 2017 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101 (Post 29130967)
That all sounds rather like the aircraft cleaning excuse. Bigger and more complex fleets than BA's seem to be managing it so why are BA having such difficulties.

Turns out I was (partially) wrong. Again, 3rd-hand-info, so might or mightn't be true and as usual, my view not BA's.

Seems that the first few aircrafts were the "pilot", a bit like a new seat need some "shakedown" flights to be then OK'd by the CAA. Now the full roll-out Wi-Fi on longhaul has the green light by the authorities and, more importantly has been authorised by finance. I've been told that whatever target was decided and broadcasted at end of year results / capital markets day will be aimed for, so they're ramping up the work.

Only caveat is for the 787 fleet: considering much of them is now a paperweight due to the RR Trent 1000 issues, there might be delays on that point.

simons1 Dec 8, 2017 1:30 am

Is this really such a big job? It's not as if wifi on aircraft is that cutting edge any more - other airlines have had it for some time.

If this all trundles along like the CW catering and bedding roll out it could clearly take a little time (translate as 'if you a LGW traveller don't hold your breath).

On the 787s, if they are going to be sat around awaiting engines then surely a good opportunity to handle it.

dylanks Dec 8, 2017 5:58 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 29148740)
Is this really such a big job? It's not as if wifi on aircraft is that cutting edge any more - other airlines have had it for some time.

Based on various videos such as
, it's not as simple as sticking a router on the aircraft and calling it done. :) That said, it's a relatively simply upgrade once the process is streamlined. My understanding is that if all goes according to plan, it can be done in a day or two.

Schind Dec 8, 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks (Post 29149188)
My understanding is that if all goes according to plan, it can be done in a day or two.

It can be done in just under two days at the moment. This time last year it was taking three and a half days so they're improving.
Part of the reason for the lack of instalations is that Gogo have a backlog of nearly 1500 aircraft worldwide waiting to be fitted. They announced that as of October 31st they'd fitted the 2Ku system on 322 planes in 2017 so far, so their backlog is about four years at the current rate although I expect that will decrease as everything ramps up.

Schind Dec 8, 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 29148740)

On the 787s, if they are going to be sat around awaiting engines then surely a good opportunity to handle it.

Gogo haven't got clearance to fit the system onto 787's yet as far as I'm aware. You have to bear in mind this is a fairly new system and every type of plane has to get an STC from the regulator before it can be fitted. The last press release I saw from Gogo on this subject was in September. It didn't mention the 787 or A380 as planes they have STC's for. Even the 767 is mentioned as a type they were hoping to get clearance for 'later this year'.

Gogo Inflight Internet Gogo Receives Regulatory Approval to Install 2Ku on Boeing 777 Aircraft - Gogo Concourse

N830MH Dec 8, 2017 1:50 pm

Finally! I can used wifi on 747-400 aircraft. I am not quite sure about short-haul from UK to European flight. When they will installed wifi?

dylanks Dec 8, 2017 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Schind (Post 29150875)
It can be done in just under two days at the moment. This time last year it was taking three and a half days so they're improving.
Part of the reason for the lack of instalations is that Gogo have a backlog of nearly 1500 aircraft worldwide waiting to be fitted. They announced that as of October 31st they'd fitted the 2Ku system on 322 planes in 2017 so far, so their backlog is about four years at the current rate although I expect that will decrease as everything ramps up.

Thanks for confirming my rough estimation, and clarifying the details about Gogo!

corporate-wage-slave Dec 8, 2017 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 29150924)
Finally! I can used wifi on 747-400 aircraft. I am not quite sure about short-haul from UK to European flight. When they will installed wifi?

It starts next year for shorthaul, apparently. The idea was that 90% of BA's fleet would be on Highlife Connect by the end of 2018, but that seems optimistic.