Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: Ł7.99
  • 4 hours: Ł17.99
  • Full flight: up to Ł23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - Ł1.99 or Ł2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - Ł4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
Ł4.99 (MAN / NCL)
Ł6.99 (ARN / HAM)
Ł7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
Ł8.99 (AGP)
Ł9.99 (LED / SOF)
Ł11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:56 am

Used the free wifi for F passengers last night for the last 30mins of the flight after wakening - very good indeed. I have submitted some positive comments to BA to help save the service from future enhancements.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:06 am

Also announced today - Gogo have leased some bandwidth on a new satellite which is due to be launched in 2022 which will increase the capacity of their 2Ku service in Europe and the Middle East.

https://news.eutelsat.com/pressrelea...telsat-2936963
revorgap likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I'm currently on the BA229 LHR to BWI. Wifi-is up and running but there's no "streaming" package, just the one package with the price breaks from the lower of the two previous options. I've opted for the full flight at Ł17.99. I wonder if they are harmonising the packages? Wording shows as "full flight stream".

Also available was the "free if you are in First" wording, which doesn't really work on a three-cabin 777. I'm in 1A and there's definitely no F on this flight
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
New BA 777 to Madrid Pricing

A couple of things new from my personal experience of many LHR-MAD returns.

- The 777 flight now shows normal short haul pricing. None of the old 1 hour, 4 hours, Full Flight like before that was quite expensive for the route.

- Only one package now available. No Browse and Stream options.

- Free Wifi for First was indeed an option, although of course didn’t work on the two hour flight to Madrid.

This was today on MAD-LHR BA461 (G-STBD) in case that matters.

Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I flew the new A350 earlier in the week, Heathrow to Toronto. The wifi was OK for general browsing, email etc, dropped out a few times this is the new/alternate system on the A350.

Pricing is by amount of data. During the flight my personal phone used 2 x the small (25Mb for Ł4.99 I think) package with the second expiring about an hour before landing. Use was browsing, WhatsApp and about 15 emails downloaded, no large attachments.

As they (annoyingly) dont do a multiple device option I also connected my work phone, this into the biggest package (150Mb for Ł17.99 if memory serves), again this ran out about an hour before landing.....probably sent/recieved 60 to 70 emails, some with PDF/Excel attachments.

All in it seems overly pricey and I think the 'whole flight' packages offered are a better offer. Whilst in the US this week I've done two internal US flights with AA and will fly back to UK with them tonight, their packages seem better value and more stable.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:20 pm

I always purchase it on my laptop then enable the Windows 10 hotspot feature. I can then tether my phone to the laptop via WiFi and use WhatsApp and MFA etc without having to buy two packages.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I always purchase it on my laptop then enable the Windows 10 hotspot feature. I can then tether my phone to the laptop via WiFi and use WhatsApp and MFA etc without having to buy two packages.
Good idea. Never even thought of it, I could have just tethered one phone to the other. Probably would have just burnt through the package quicker as it was data driven...def will do that on the AA flight tonight, lol, thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze, HHonors: Silver, Virgin Flying Club: Red, Miles & More
Is there a wikipost similar to this, but convering in-seat power e.g. which aircraft have it installed, and type of ports available, and in which class etc? I did search but couldn't find anything.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by travelsbyplane
Is there a wikipost similar to this, but convering in-seat power e.g. which aircraft have it installed, and type of ports available, and in which class etc? I did search but couldn't find anything.
There’s information on the BA site here if that’s useful for you:

https://www.britishairways.com/cms/g...seat-power.pdf
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Also, in the BA Forum Dashboard, you will find a thread on Inflight Entertainment, and post 6 gives guidance.

[Mulling whether this out to be a standalone Dashboard thread or not....]
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:37 am

It looks like G-XLEK will return into service today, the aircraft is currently positioning from MNL to SIN. Hopefully they've installed WiFi
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:01 am

Can I use a VPN with this in order to give myself a U.K. IP address?

If so - is the streaming package actually useable so I can stream a live broadcast through sky sports?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:08 am

Technically yes, since nothing is blocked, Hiowever reality says no. I could maintain an RDP session, but the VPN kept dropping.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Was looking forward to trying the WiFi for free on our flight. ZBKK had it fitted. But wasn’t working on the whole plane. Apparently they knew before take off but decided to not delay the flight by fixing it. We’re not flying first on the way back. So will have to try next year
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
More Shorthaul aircraft with WiFi Timeline?

Just out of curiosity does anyone know when the other half of the A320/A320neo will get fitted. Also when the A321neos will start having Wifi? The first (G-NEOR) has been in the fleet over 1 year. I thought the shorthaul fitting was possible overnight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.