FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1869653-faq-status-board-wifi-rollout-ba-aircraft.html)

1010101 Oct 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28880264)
Is that all we need to confirm Wifi? In other words does the radome go hand-in-hand with Wifi installation and implementation? If so it wouldn't take long for FTers to get the list of equipped aircraft, particularly since we know who has been in CWL recently.

Not necessarily. Some 77Ws i know of have been delivered to other airlines with the radome but no WiFi antenna fitted. STBA has had a radome of some form since delivery, before Gogo's Ku band product even existed.

Are BA going to offer this free to F passengers? Or is that a stupid question.

MFCC Oct 12, 2017 4:39 am

777s should begin to have WiFi fitted soon, with the first aircraft to have it installed being G-STBB, a 77W.

Stez Oct 12, 2017 4:55 am

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 28923283)
777s should begin to have WiFi fitted soon, with the first aircraft to have it installed being G-STBB, a 77W.

It'd be nice to see this on the Kangaroo route. ^

ThatT1Feeling Oct 12, 2017 8:24 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 28877842)
Hi,

Very interesting,

I think you are the first FT to post live from a wifi equipped BA jet ( apart from the LCY jets)

Regards

TBS

ahem... :)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ht-wifi-2.html

355F1 Oct 12, 2017 12:02 pm

I’m doing two PHX-LHR-JNB MRs in a couple weeks. I will post my findings and will be hoping that I will have WiFi on at least a couple of these 11hr flights.

The _Banking_Scot Oct 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 28923847)

Hi,

ooops ! Sorry:) Missed that thread.

Regards

TBS

FFMilesJunkie Oct 15, 2017 1:42 pm

1 Attachment(s)
On CIVS right now somewhere between London and Washington DC. Signed up for the basic service. Must not be anyone else online. Getting great speeds (22 down, 5up). Did a quick Facebook live video looking out the window in 1A. Don't see it advertised anywhere and no mentioned from what I heard from the cabin staff. Great service so far by the way. Cheers.

1010101 Oct 15, 2017 8:50 pm

I know the ping is not great but as a general point it is truly amazing that 22Mbps can be achieved sitting on an aircraft. That's faster than many residential connections.

I still remember 56k being state of the art and I'm sure some on here remember when carrier pigeons were introduced :p

corporate-wage-slave Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101 (Post 28936675)
I know the ping is not great but as a general point it is truly amazing that 22Mbps can be achieved sitting on an aircraft. That's faster than many residential connections.

It's over 15 times the speed of the CWS residence. I am not sure that will be maintained when dozens of video streaming passengers are whacking the bandwidth, but we shall see. AA on domestic flights tend to be in the 1 to 5 Mbps area when a quarter of the way into the flight (the worst time).

oliver2002 Oct 16, 2017 3:21 am

Experience at LH and other carriers shows people are rarely willing to pay 15+€/flight so the bandwidth will be good for those who pay.

BrianDromey Oct 16, 2017 3:46 am

I thought the A380s and 787s already had the hardware installed for WiFi? If this is the case, hopefully roll-out on these will be relatively quick.

I did think the 77Ws had WiFi hardware installed too, but the post upthread suggests this is not the case.

LTN Phobia Oct 16, 2017 4:04 am

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie (Post 28935617)
On CIVS right now somewhere between London and Washington DC. Signed up for the basic service. Must not be anyone else online. Getting great speeds (22 down, 5up). Did a quick Facebook live video looking out the window in 1A. Don't see it advertised anywhere and no mentioned from what I heard from the cabin staff. Great service so far by the way. Cheers.

That is far, far faster than anything I have seen on SQ. Their 777/350 are pretty decent but their A380 is Onair and good grief, it's snail-powered. JL is pretty fast overall but nothing like that speed. Those are the main carriers on which I use the wifi.

In fact it is substantially faster than the speed I get in the house!

squawk Oct 16, 2017 4:35 am

Very impressed by those speeds, though lag is (expectedly) high.

As others have noted I doubt it will be maintained once more people start using it, but it's still substantially better than large swathes of the UK, especially in more rural areas. And let's be honest, even if this dropped to 3-5MB downstream, you're getting serviceable internet access at 570mph and 30,000 feet. That's pretty remarkable, really - though now I do feel old!

ahmetdouas Oct 16, 2017 4:57 am

deleted

LTN Phobia Oct 16, 2017 9:36 am

I've just done a speedtest on JL and it came out at:

Ping 934 ms
Download 1.67 Mbps
Upload 0.00 Mbps <== this doesn't seem right but I can believe the download speed. Still much faster than the A380 OnAir on SQ, although about the same speed as their 777/A350.

I am rather hopeful that BA's speed will be pretty good.