FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1869653-faq-status-board-wifi-rollout-ba-aircraft.html)

PrivatePilotDR40 Feb 9, 2019 5:22 am

Note to my post above, on the iPhone you will get a pop up saying Flight mode active with an option for settings or continue/okay just click okay and it will continue to work

flight125 Feb 10, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40 (Post 30756964)
For those wanting/asking if WiFi sharing is possible between flights I have found a solution which worked for me using a MacBook Pro (New Verision) with an iPhone 8. I suspect people have tried iPhone to Mac where I used the Mac OS Internet Sharing option in system preferences to share the connection to my iPhone 8. I am currently on the BA283 which obviously had WiFi installed.

To get this working I did the below (Im on Mojave not tested below this)

Connect iPhone to MacBook via cable (I was using USB C to Lightning)
Then Launch System Preferences
Click on Sharing
Within Sharing settings scroll down to intenet sharing (do not tick it yet), select WiFi on the drop down menu.
in the "To computers using: select iPhone USB.
Tick internet sharing then click start on the pop up that comes up.

On the iPhone I had airplane enabled and Bluetooth on for my headphones. As soon as I did this I got notifications and also was able to access various sites etc. On the iPhone it does not show any connection (unlike if you reversed the connection (not sure if it works)).

I signed up to the 1 hour basic to check before signing up for the full flight. This then enables you to send and receive via WhatApp on your Mac as this requires your iPhone to have connection too.

That’s useful, thanks. I take it that you can ‘upgrade’ time package without having to pay full whack?

rossmacd Feb 10, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by flight125 (Post 30760640)

That’s useful, thanks. I take it that you can ‘upgrade’ time package without having to pay full whack?

No, once you previous package expires, you are presented with the same options as the beginning of the flight, at the same prices. Best to buy the full flight package from the outset.

Schind Feb 12, 2019 9:31 am

More news from the courts regarding the EAN.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/0...stions-to-ecj/

In summary - the roll out on BA flights is still described as 'imminent' but it's said there will be gaps in coverage over Romania due to there being no license there yet and Belgium due to the latest court decision. There's a ruling regarding Germany in 'the next few months'.
This, coupled with the gap over the North Sea mentioned a while ago means it isn't going to be a briiliant system on most European flights when (if) there is full roll out in the summer.
I'm wondering if Walsh and co. are wishing they'd decided on another system now.

MarkR20 Feb 14, 2019 8:04 pm

On G-STBC from SYD to LHR. Checked in here and saw the little antenna bump on the aircraft but on the SYD-SIN leg no WiFi connection available, asked the crew who said there was no WiFi. From SIN-LHR there was an announcement that WiFi was available but even by the time we had food and got to 34000ft there was still no connection option. A member of the crew said she would “check that the CSD has turned it in”. Still no BA WiFi connection available so gave up and went to sleep. 10 hours later pick up my phone and I’ve got the option to connect.

stewaran Feb 15, 2019 11:17 pm

G-YMMI parked here in DEL.
No white lump on top :-(

HighwayToHEL Feb 22, 2019 10:40 am

I’m currently on BA49 from LHR to SEA somewhere over Iceland, and the turbulence is like having two kids jumping on a sprung mattress. I’m holding onto the wine in fear of a disaster!

However onboard WiFi is great, I’m getting 8mbps from Speedtest.net on the iPad, and chrome and Facebook are very usable. I went for the full-flight basic option, not the streaming option, so £14.99. So not cheap when compared to what I pay per month at home, but a good product and worth the money.

Shame the power socket doesn’t work, despite a seat reset by the CC.

Skimo Feb 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL (Post 30809999)
I’m currently on BA49 from LHR to SEA somewhere over Iceland, and the turbulence is like having two kids jumping on a sprung mattress. I’m holding onto the wine in fear of a disaster!

However onboard WiFi is great, I’m getting 8mbps from Speedtest.net on the iPad, and chrome and Facebook are very usable. I went for the full-flight basic option, not the streaming option, so £14.99. So not cheap when compared to what I pay per month at home, but a good product and worth the money.

Shame the power socket doesn’t work, despite a seat reset by the CC.

If you choose to pay in USD it works out to be around £13.75 :) Every little helps!

IntVic Feb 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Skimo (Post 30810767)
If you choose to pay in USD it works out to be around £13.75 :) Every little helps!

I didn't notice the option to pay in USD when I flew BA269 LHR - LAX on 21st Feb. Internet was fast, generally stable and I thought pretty good value for a 10+ hour flight

flyer200 Mar 1, 2019 3:50 pm

I can’t search the thread on mobile (what’s up with the awful mobile skin on FT?)

anyways. On ba15 to SYD with stop off in SIN. Full flight means only to SIN. Which is a bit mean I think.

SKRan Mar 1, 2019 11:24 pm

It looks like LGW 772s are the last to have WiFi. Switched flights to LHR.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 2, 2019 12:51 am

Originally Posted by SKRan (Post 30837823)
It looks like LGW 772s are the last to have WiFi. Switched flights to LHR.

Um, no, you are more likely to have longhaul Wifi at LGW than LHR. I'm trying to think of a 777 at LGW that has not got wifi.

SKRan Mar 2, 2019 1:01 am

Originally Posted by TheEngineer (Post 28958882)
Does anyone know if BA are going to be showing the live Sports Channel Sport 24 on their wi-fi enabled flights?

Have watched several live events on other carriers and rather enjoy it!

If bidirectional WiFi connection can be operated well (as Speedtests in this topic suggest) I don’t see why a satellite TV receiver cannot be operated.

How about Sky Sport from your IFE screen and £5 for the flight? The pint glass could be changed into a BA one I guess

SKRan Mar 2, 2019 1:02 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30837935)
Um, no, you are more likely to have longhaul Wifi at LGW than LHR. I'm trying to think of a 777 at LGW that has not got wifi.

I checked Flightradar24 for the JFK flight and it’s always one without WiFi.

SKRan Mar 2, 2019 1:14 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30837935)
um, no, you are more likely to have longhaul wifi at lgw than lhr. I'm trying to think of a 777 at lgw that has not got wifi.

viir viix viip viit

most frequently using VIIR which isn't fitted