On-board WiFi: soft launch is underway

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 19, 19, 12:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Schind
Wiki Link
Onboard WiFi is being progessively introduced to both BA's long and shorthaul fleets and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout.

See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Longhaul aircraft with WiFi fitted
A380 - 5 Aircraft

G-XLEA, G-XLEB, G-XLEG, G-XLEH, G-XLEI

747 (Super Hi-J) - 17 Aircraft

G-CIVF, G-CIVH, G-CIVI, G-CIVR, G-CIVS, G-CIVV, G-CIVW, G-CIVX, G-CIVY, G-CIVZ
G-BYGA, G-BYGB, G-BYGC, G-BYGD, G-BYGE, G-BYGF, G-BYGG

777-200 (4 Class) - 23 Aircraft

​​​​​​G-VIIA, G-VIIC, G-VIID, G-VIIE, G-VIIF, G-VIIG, G-VIIH, G-VIIJ, G-VIIK, G-VIIL, G-VIIM, G-VIIN, G-VIIS, G-VIIV, G-VIIW, G-VIIY
G-YMMJ, G-YMMK, G-YMML, G-YMMN, G-YMMO, G-YMMP
G-RAES

​​​​​​777-200 (3 Class) - 13 Aircraft

G-VIIO, G-VIIU, G-VIIX
G-YMMA, G-YMMB, G-YMMC, G-YMMD, G-YMME, G-YMMF, G-YMMR, G-YMMS, G-YMMT, G-YMMU

777-300 - 8 Aircraft

G-STBA, G-STBB, G-STBC, G-STBD, G-STBE, G-STBG, G-STBI, G-STBL

787-9 - 1 Aircraft

G-ZBKI

This is the current cost for longhaul flights:

Basic (Browse package)
  • 1 hour: £4.99
  • 4 hours: £10.99
  • Full flight: £14.99

Fast (Stream package)
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: £23.99

Longhaul aircraft planned NOT to have WiFi fitted
BA have decided to not fit WiFi to the aircraft listed below. Some of the aircraft are due to be retired from the fleet over the next two years. This is thought to be part of the reason for not fitting them with WiFi.

747 (Mid-J) - 16 Aircraft

G-BNLN, G-BNLY
G-CIVA, G-CIVB, G-CIVC, G-CIVD, G-CIVE, G-CIVJ, G-CIVK, G-CIVL, G-CIVM, G-CIVN, G-CIVO, G-CIVP, G-CIVT, G-CIVU

747 (Super Hi-J) - 1 Aircraft

G-CIVG

777-200 (4 Class) - 3 Aircraft

G-ZZZA, G-ZZZB, G-ZZZC

Longhaul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi
WiFi installation on the remaining longhaul aircraft in operation is expected to be completed in 2020. Dates shown below are roughly when each aircraft is planned to return to service having undergone WiFi installation. Aircraft are listed firstly by type, then listed by planned return to service date.

Information shown may subject to change and is based on info posted in this thread.

A380

G-XLEC - 13 May (Currently at MNL)
G-XLEJ - 18 June
G-XLED - 18 August
G-XLEE - 24 October
G-XLEK - 29 November
G-XLEF - February 2020
G-XLEL - 2020

777-200 (4 Class)

G-YMMH - 13 May
G-YMMG - 23 May
G-VIIB - 30 June
G-YMMI - 13 July

777-200 (3 Class)

G-VIIP - 8 April (currently at CWL)
G-VIIR - 30 April
G-VIIT - 24 October

​​​​​​777-300

G-STBK - 18 June
G-STBH - 27 November
G-STBF - 2020
G-STBJ - 2020

787-8
All expected to be fitted in 2020

787-9

G-ZBKJ - 14 April
G-ZBKK - 23 April
G-ZBKH - 2 May
G-ZBKL - 3 July
G-ZBKM - 12 July
G-ZBKG - 20 July
G-ZBKN - 28 July
G-ZBKO - 20 August
G-ZBKP - 22 November
G-ZBKA - 2020
G-ZBKB - 2020
G-ZBKC - 2020
G-ZBKD - 2020
G-ZBKE - 2020
G-ZBKF - 2020
G-ZBKR - 2020
G-ZBKS - 2020

For a full list click here: spreadsheet.
Shorthaul aircraft with WiFi fitted and enabled
Following testing the system went live on the first few aircraft in March 2019 with full rollout expected by summer 2019.

A320 - 3 Aircraft

G-GATK
G-TTNC
G-TTOE

The following aircraft have WiFi fitted and in use for testing purposes only:

A319 - 2 Aircraft

G-EOUA
G-EUPP

A320 (CEO) - 8 Aircraft

G-EUUG, G-EUUK, G-EUUL, G-EUUM, G-EUUN, G-EUUP
G-EUYE
G-TTOB

The cost of wifi on shorthaul flights is dependant on the route. So far the following prices are known:-

Messaging £1.99 to £2.99

Browse & Stream
£6.99 (HAM)
£7.99 (LIS)

Shorthaul aircraft NOT planned to receive WiFi
BA plan to withdraw a number of their A319 aircraft over the next two years. As a result the aircraft listed below will not be fitted with WiFi.

A319 - 30 Aircraft

G-EUOB to I
G-EUPA to K, G-EUPW
G-DBCA-H, G-DBCJ, G-DBCK
Background information:
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 14, 18, 7:15 am

Works pretty well

Two weeks ago I flew from SEA to LHR and I purchased the fancy full flight package (£23.99) and I must say I was pretty impressed.
Streamed Doctor Strange from Netflix and just pottered around on Facebook and the rest of the web without any major lag or cutouts. Yes, there was a 5 min tire gap over Greenland but that was it and it does get switched off 20 minutes prior to landing (annoying). But for someone with a fear of flying this really helps with my anxiety and although pricey it is worth it to me.
Min my flight out I flew on a newly refurbished 777 and although there was wifi it was broken, the portal would not load. My flight back was on an old 777 (tiny screens) and it worked perfectly.
Due to fly to Sydney on the BA 15 &16 so Iím curious to see how well that goes.

Old Oct 15, 18, 12:54 am

Programs: TransitionMetal HyperElite Card(tm)
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I think we will have to wait and see. For example, do we actually know one way or the other whether G-CIVO has had wifi fitted during the recent refresh work? It would have been an opportunity to do it, but my suspicion is that at present we simply don't know one way or the other whether it's been done. As the aircraft's first sortie is for Dreamflight (currently under way), I suspect that many of the passengers currently have other things on their minds than to post the aircraft's wifi status on FT.
G-CIVO is a mid-J bird, I thought only the hi-Js are being WiFiíd? My point is thereís a potential population of permanently non-WiFi hi-Js which is a bit annoying from a pax perspective on premium routes
Old Oct 15, 18, 1:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
WiFi...Why not FREE

IIf Norwegian can manage it I am sure BA could if they tried just a little bit.....More sliding behind the lower cost carriers
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:20 am

This has probably already been asked, but is the WiFi service free for Business / First Class passengers ?
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:25 am

Programs: Warrant Card, BA Blue, PFOA
IIRC inflight internet is not available on international long haul flights..on Norwegian
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:25 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hungry View Post
This has probably already been asked, but is the WiFi service free for Business / First Class passengers ?
No
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alexwuk View Post
G-CIVO is a mid-J bird, I thought only the hi-Js are being WiFiíd?
I don't know, but the one thing which I think most FTers could agree on is that BA has the capacity to surprise us. Hence I will only put reliably reported/confirmed stuff in the list.

I suppose that one thing that an expert could do is to look at some of the Dreamflight photos from yesterday (for example, this one) to see whether they can identify the presence or absence of the wifi kit.

Otherwise, G-CIVO is operating the MCO-LHR flight now, and it seems will be off to PHX later.
Old Oct 15, 18, 1:40 pm

There's a review of BA's wifi on Runway Girl Network today.
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...ns-advantages/

I know there are loads of reviews and comments around but one thing of note in this one - the one hour free is no longer available so that can be deleted from the wiki.
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:03 pm

Have there been any rumours/news about 787-8/9? It feels strange such a new birds are missing this feature.
Old Oct 16, 18, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Schind View Post
There's a review of BA's wifi on Runway Girl Network today.
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...ns-advantages/

I know there are loads of reviews and comments around but one thing of note in this one - the one hour free is no longer available so that can be deleted from the wiki.
Figured my review would end up here eventually. I did have some issues with the Stream plan, but Browse worked well. As others have said, the lack of device switching stinks.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 20, 18, 10:24 am
dnw

Disappointing experience on G-RAES to TLV on Wednesday. Wifi dropped in and out constantly to the point of being unusable, even during the purchase process.. guess that should have been my sign not to bother... gave up after first 20 minutes but checked again half way through the flight and same issue.

Assume this is a technical fault with this aircraft as no black spots en route. Have applied for a refund and hope I won't have a fight on my hands to get one.
Old Oct 29, 18, 3:42 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

747 WiFi installation is on track to be completed by late December.

In total 17 Super Hi-J 747’s are being fitted with WIFI. There are still no plans to install WiFi to any of the Mid-J 747’s.

G-CIVG is planned to leave the fleet next year and will be the only Super Hi- J aircraft not to receive WIFI.

Here are a few updates to be added to the spreadsheet.

A380 Updates

G-XLEA - Arrived MNL 22nd October for maintainence. WiFi will be fitted while in MNL
G-XLEI - Returned from MNL with WiFi installed 21st October

747 Updates

G-CIVH - Returned from CWL with WiFi fitted 20th October
G-CIVI - Arrived CWL 21st October for maintainence. WiFi will be fitted while in CWL.

777-200 Updates

G-VIIV - Returned from SNN with WiFi fitted 26th October
G-VIIW - Returned from SNN with WiFi fitted 19th October
G-YMMA - Arrived In CWL 24th October for WiFi fitting

777-300

G-STBC - Returned from CWL WiFi fitted 24th October

Last edited by Scotflyer80; Oct 31, 18 at 9:16 am
Old Nov 1, 18, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL, CCR; hhonors diamond; SPG LTG ; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion;
I am writing this on G-CIVW operating BA178 JFK-LHR. I have updated the wiki. It’s fairly reliable and the cheaper package seems fine for causal browsing and email. There was no free hour that I saw. The speed registered as 0.35 Mbps upload and 2.6 Mbps download. But the “feel” of the connection was faster than that.
Old Nov 2, 18, 9:16 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Shorthaul WiFi

BA plan to offer WiFi on the entire fleet of A320/A320NEO & A321NEOís and all there shorthaul configured A321ís. Only 12 A319ís are to be fitted with WIFI, this is due to BAís plans to significantly reduce the number of A319ís operated over the next 18 months to 2 years. The registrations of the A319ís to offer WiFi are:

G-EUOA, G-EUPL, G-EUPM, G-EUPN, G-EUPO, G-EUPP, G-EUPR, G-EUPS, G-EUPT, G-EUPU, G-EUPY and G-EUPZ

BA expect to offer WiFi on shorthaul flights during 2019. With installation and activation of the system expected to be completed during 2Q2019, according to the 2018 Capitial Day Presentation.
Old Nov 2, 18, 4:01 pm
dnw

Will the LCY Embraers ever get Wifi?

Search this Thread