Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:15 am

Works pretty well

Two weeks ago I flew from SEA to LHR and I purchased the fancy full flight package (£23.99) and I must say I was pretty impressed.
Streamed Doctor Strange from Netflix and just pottered around on Facebook and the rest of the web without any major lag or cutouts. Yes, there was a 5 min tire gap over Greenland but that was it and it does get switched off 20 minutes prior to landing (annoying). But for someone with a fear of flying this really helps with my anxiety and although pricey it is worth it to me.
Min my flight out I flew on a newly refurbished 777 and although there was wifi it was broken, the portal would not load. My flight back was on an old 777 (tiny screens) and it worked perfectly.
Due to fly to Sydney on the BA 15 &16 so I’m curious to see how well that goes.

Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think we will have to wait and see. For example, do we actually know one way or the other whether G-CIVO has had wifi fitted during the recent refresh work? It would have been an opportunity to do it, but my suspicion is that at present we simply don't know one way or the other whether it's been done. As the aircraft's first sortie is for Dreamflight (currently under way), I suspect that many of the passengers currently have other things on their minds than to post the aircraft's wifi status on FT.
G-CIVO is a mid-J bird, I thought only the hi-Js are being WiFi’d? My point is there’s a potential population of permanently non-WiFi hi-Js which is a bit annoying from a pax perspective on premium routes
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
WiFi...Why not FREE

IIf Norwegian can manage it I am sure BA could if they tried just a little bit.....More sliding behind the lower cost carriers
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
This has probably already been asked, but is the WiFi service free for Business / First Class passengers ?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:25 am

IIRC inflight internet is not available on international long haul flights..on Norwegian
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by hungry
This has probably already been asked, but is the WiFi service free for Business / First Class passengers ?
No
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alexwuk
G-CIVO is a mid-J bird, I thought only the hi-Js are being WiFi’d?
I don't know, but the one thing which I think most FTers could agree on is that BA has the capacity to surprise us. Hence I will only put reliably reported/confirmed stuff in the list.

I suppose that one thing that an expert could do is to look at some of the Dreamflight photos from yesterday (for example, this one) to see whether they can identify the presence or absence of the wifi kit.

Otherwise, G-CIVO is operating the MCO-LHR flight now, and it seems will be off to PHX later.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:40 pm

There's a review of BA's wifi on Runway Girl Network today.
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...ns-advantages/

I know there are loads of reviews and comments around but one thing of note in this one - the one hour free is no longer available so that can be deleted from the wiki.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have there been any rumours/news about 787-8/9? It feels strange such a new birds are missing this feature.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Schind
There's a review of BA's wifi on Runway Girl Network today.
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...ns-advantages/

I know there are loads of reviews and comments around but one thing of note in this one - the one hour free is no longer available so that can be deleted from the wiki.
Figured my review would end up here eventually. I did have some issues with the Stream plan, but Browse worked well. As others have said, the lack of device switching stinks.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:24 am
dnw

Disappointing experience on G-RAES to TLV on Wednesday. Wifi dropped in and out constantly to the point of being unusable, even during the purchase process.. guess that should have been my sign not to bother... gave up after first 20 minutes but checked again half way through the flight and same issue.

Assume this is a technical fault with this aircraft as no black spots en route. Have applied for a refund and hope I won't have a fight on my hands to get one.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:42 pm

747 WiFi installation is on track to be completed by late December.

In total 17 Super Hi-J 747’s are being fitted with WIFI. There are still no plans to install WiFi to any of the Mid-J 747’s.

G-CIVG is planned to leave the fleet next year and will be the only Super Hi- J aircraft not to receive WIFI.

Here are a few updates to be added to the spreadsheet.

A380 Updates

G-XLEA - Arrived MNL 22nd October for maintainence. WiFi will be fitted while in MNL
G-XLEI - Returned from MNL with WiFi installed 21st October

747 Updates

G-CIVH - Returned from CWL with WiFi fitted 20th October
G-CIVI - Arrived CWL 21st October for maintainence. WiFi will be fitted while in CWL.

777-200 Updates

G-VIIV - Returned from SNN with WiFi fitted 26th October
G-VIIW - Returned from SNN with WiFi fitted 19th October
G-YMMA - Arrived In CWL 24th October for WiFi fitting

777-300

G-STBC - Returned from CWL WiFi fitted 24th October

Last edited by Scotflyer80; Oct 31, 2018 at 9:16 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I am writing this on G-CIVW operating BA178 JFK-LHR. I have updated the wiki. It’s fairly reliable and the cheaper package seems fine for causal browsing and email. There was no free hour that I saw. The speed registered as 0.35 Mbps upload and 2.6 Mbps download. But the “feel” of the connection was faster than that.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:16 am

Shorthaul WiFi

BA plan to offer WiFi on the entire fleet of A320/A320NEO & A321NEO’s and all there shorthaul configured A321’s. Only 12 A319’s are to be fitted with WIFI, this is due to BA’s plans to significantly reduce the number of A319’s operated over the next 18 months to 2 years. The registrations of the A319’s to offer WiFi are:

G-EUOA, G-EUPL, G-EUPM, G-EUPN, G-EUPO, G-EUPP, G-EUPR, G-EUPS, G-EUPT, G-EUPU, G-EUPY and G-EUPZ

BA expect to offer WiFi on shorthaul flights during 2019. With installation and activation of the system expected to be completed during 2Q2019, according to the 2018 Capitial Day Presentation.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:01 pm
dnw

Will the LCY Embraers ever get Wifi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.