On-board WiFi: soft launch is underway

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 18, 19, 4:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Schind
Wiki Link
Onboard wifi is being progessively introduced to both BA's long and shorthaul fleets and it is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout

See post 123 for BA's FAQ on the new system.

Longhaul aircraft With WiFi fitted
A380 - 4 Aircraft

G-XLEA, G-XLEG, G-XLEH, G-XLEI

747 (Super Hi-J) - 17 Aircraft

G-CIVF, G-CIVH, G-CIVI, G-CIVR, G-CIVS, G-CIVV, G-CIVW, G-CIVX, G-CIVY, G-CIVZ
G-BYGA, G-BYGB, G-BYGC, G-BYGD, G-BYGE, G-BYGF, G-BYGG

777-200 (4 Class) - 23 Aircraft

​​​​​​G-VIIA, G-VIIC, G-VIID, G-VIIE, G-VIIF, G-VIIG, G-VIIH, G-VIIJ, G-VIIK, G-VIIL, G-VIIM, G-VIIN, G-VIIS, G-VIIV, G-VIIW, G-VIIY
G-YMMJ, G-YMMK, G-YMML, G-YMMN, G-YMMO, G-YMMP
G-RAES

​​​​​​777-200 (3 Class) - 12 Aircraft

G-VIIU, G-VIIX
G-YMMA, G-YMMB, G-YMMC, G-YMMD, G-YMME, G-YMMF, G-YMMR, G-YMMS, G-YMMT, G-YMMU

777-300 - 7 Aircraft

G-STBA, G-STBB, G-STBC, G-STBD, G-STBE, G-STBG, G-STBL

Long haul aircraft planned NOT to have WiFi fitted

BA have decided to not fit WiFi to the aircraft listed below. Some of the aircraft are due to be retired from the fleet over the next 2 years. This is thought to be part of the reason for not fitting them with WiFi

747 (Mid-J) - 16 Aircraft

G-BNLN, G-BNLY
G-CIVA, G-CIVB, G-CIVC, G-CIVD, G-CIVE, G-CIVJ, G-CIVK, G-CIVL, G-CIVM, G-CIVN, G-CIVO, G-CIVP, G-CIVT, G-CIVU

747 (Super Hi-J) - 1 Aircraft

G-CIVG

777-200 (4 Class) - 3 Aircraft

G-ZZZA, G-ZZZB, G-ZZZC
Longhaul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

WiFi installation on the remaining longhaul aircraft in operation is expected to be completed in 2020. Dates shown below are roughly when each aircraft are planned to return to service having undergone WiFi installation. Aircraft are listed firstly by type, then listed by planned return to service date.

Information shown may subject to change and is based on info posted in this thread

A380

G-XLEB - March (Currently being fitted in Manila)
G-XLEC - 13 May
G-XLEJ - 18 June
G-XLED - 18 August
G-XLEE - 24 October
G-XLEK - 29 November
G-XLEF - February 2020
G-XLEL - 2020

777-200 (4 Class)

G-YMMH - 13 May
G-YMMG - 23 May
G-VIIB - 30 June
G-YMMI - 13 July

777-200 (3 Class)

G-VIIO - 17 March
G-VIIP - 8 April
G-VIIR - 30 April
G-VIIT - 24 October

​​​​​​777-300

G-STBI - 2 March (Currently at CWL)
G-STBK - 18 June
G-STBH - 27 November
G-STBF - 2020
G-STBJ - 2020

787-8
All expected to be fitted in 2020

787-9

G-ZBKI - 12 March
G-ZBKJ - 14 April
G-ZBKK - 23 April
G-ZBKH - 2 May
G-ZBKL - 3 July
G-ZBKM - 12 July
G-ZBKG - 20 July
G-ZBKN - 28 July
G-ZBKO - 20 August
G-ZBKP - 22 November
G-ZBKA - 2020
G-ZBKB - 2020
G-ZBKC - 2020
G-ZBKD - 2020
G-ZBKE - 2020
G-ZBKF - 2020
G-ZBKR - 2020
G-ZBKS - 2020

For a full list click here: spreadsheet.

Short haul aircraft currently with Highlife Connect available to passengers:
  • See post #170: There are at least 71 short haul aircraft that have WiFI installed. Testing of this new service will commence in December 2018 followed by full rollout by summer 2019. There will be no WiFi available on Scandinavian sectors until 2020. More info here: http://m.atwonline.com/ife/ean-ready...ritish-airways
Aircraft with WiFi fitted and Enabled*
Aircraft listed have had their WiFi enabled for testing purposes.

A319 - 2 Aircraft

G-EOUA
G-EUPP

A320 (CEO) - 9 Aircraft

G-EUUG, G-EUUK, G-EUUK, G-EUUM, G-EUUN, G-EUUP
G-EUYE
G-TTOB, G-TTOE
Shorthaul Aircraft NOT planned to receive WiFi
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
BA plan to withdraw a number of their A319 aircraft over the next two years. As a result the aircraft listed below will not be fitted with WiFi

A319 - 30 Aircraft

G-EUOB to I
G-EUPA to K, G-EUPW
G-DBCA-H, G-DBCJ, G-DBCK

​​​​​​​You can track these aircraft via sites such as thebasource.com and flightradar24.

The table below shows (more info in posts #8 and #11) the current cost, which is divided into 2 bands according to whether you need the bandwidth required for streaming videos.

Basic
  • 1 hour: £4.99
  • 4 hour2: £10.99
  • Full flight: £14.99

Fast
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hour2: £17.99
  • Full flight: £23.99
From 26th April 2018 until September 2018 Visa were sponsoring a free 1 hour of basic service (see post #198) however that offer has ended.

Background information:
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 15, 18, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze (!)
First A380 with WiFi seems to be G-XLEG, just taxi-ing for LAX as BA269.
Beansprout likes this.
Old Apr 15, 18, 1:21 pm

G-VIIY (LGW 772) has been fitted now. G-XLEL is currently in MNL maintenance so I would expect that to be the 2nd A380 fitted.
Old Apr 15, 18, 3:34 pm

Programs: The 4am BP pitstop club
Is LEG confirmed? A few posts ago said the A380/B787 were quite awhile away.
Old Apr 15, 18, 4:38 pm

Programs: Yes
That was probably based on my reading of the PDF document that GoGo have on their website - I don’t know how old it is. I haven’t seen any specific update that A380s are now available, but they are supposedly now a “line fit” option so one would assume available. Could be in backlog though - there really isn’t much up-to-date public information, probably because inflight Internet seems to be quite competitive...
Old Apr 15, 18, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Is LEG confirmed? A few posts ago said the A380/B787 were quite awhile away.
It is now sporting the new fuselage top WiFi attenae, whether it’s switched on is a different matter.
Old Apr 16, 18, 1:50 pm

G-VIIS has also been fitted in Shannon with WiFi.
Old Apr 16, 18, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier
Looks like launch of Wifi on short haul is imminent ?

British Airways : bientôt du Wifi haut débit à bord des avions ? - Le Point

MENUThis is news that could revolutionize the world of air transport. On Monday, Inmarsat announced the launch of its so-called Internet EAN system onboard aircraft, in partnership with Deutsche Telekom. This system is intended to promote a broadband internet service during flights. And the first to test this service is none other than International Airlines Group (IAG), the parent company of British Airways , but also Aer Lingus, Vueling or Iberia. The company signed a contract in March 2017 which then made him the launch customer of the EAN system.

Inmarsat and Deutsche Telekom "will now be able to link the Internet in flight via satellite with a terrestrial network and make broadband in airplanes a reality for regional aircraft," says Inmarsat in a statement. The two partners have obtained the green light from the Regulatory Authority for Electronic Communications and Posts (Arcep) for the use of ground stations on French territory that will increase the capacity of the satellite Inmarsat S-Band launched in June 2017. TDF is the French partner of this program whose terrestrial network consists of three hundred stations installed in all the countries of the European Union as well as in Switzerland and Norway .
Tobias-UK, Calum and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 18, 18, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

fleetregistration
747-400g-civv747-400g-civr747-400g-civs747-400g-civx747-400g-bygc747-400g-civy747-400g-civw777-200g-viis777-200g-viiy777-300g-stbe
Old Apr 20, 18, 5:06 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Inflight WiFi was available on a recent flight I took. I thought the quality was good; just a shame that the value of the service was diminished by the absence of sockets in economy on the 747s. It's also a pity that, unlike AA, they don't allow you to use the access you paid for on another device, so long as only one device is used at a time.

However, I never received any e-mailed receipt for my payment. And having e-mailed support, they are clearly struggling to produce one as well. I've told them that if they can't produce it in a week so that I can put it in my expense claim, they will leave me with no other choice than to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Has anybody else had this problem (and no, it's not in my junk mail folder)?
Old Apr 21, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (soon EXP), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold (soon Plat), Hyatt (Explorist)
G-BYGD

Posting this on BA 183 / G-BYGD

Sorry is this one is known it wasn’t in the first post and I didn’t read the whole thread.
Old Apr 21, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: The 4am BP pitstop club
Originally Posted by Jish View Post
Posting this on BA 183 / G-BYGD

Sorry is this one is known it wasn’t in the first post and I didn’t read the whole thread.
It's a new one, thanks for finding out! It's her first flight since coming back from CWL.
Old Apr 22, 18, 6:21 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Originally Posted by skipness1E View Post

It is now sporting the new fuselage top WiFi attenae, whether it’s switched on is a different matter.
From Dave Wallsworth's Instagram G-XLEG:

Last edited by Cluster One; Apr 22, 18 at 11:34 am Reason: Re-size screen shot
Old Apr 22, 18, 11:59 am

There's also a photo of the 'dome' on Gogo's Twitter account taken while the plane was in the hangar. They've confirmed this is the first A380 to be fitted with 2Ku.

There's still no comment on when they're starting on the 787s though.
Old Apr 22, 18, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mmogdan View Post
Looks like launch of Wifi on short haul is imminent ?
This was written on April 19th on the RunwayGirlNetwork site:-

"Asked for specifics, Inmarsat’s new aviation business unit president Philip Balaamsaid via telephone, “For actual dates, I’m going to kind of kick this into the long grass and say, you know who our launch customer is. They are very sensitive about us indicating about timing. However, you are right, we are installing at pace, at very high pace. I don’t know if anyone has given you the scale of installs, but … a very significant part of what we need to do is already done.”Some stakeholders in the European Aviation Network, including Deutsche Telekom, feel certain that the hybrid ATG/S-band supported connectivity service will go live by this summer, but Balaam would not be nailed down, assuring RGN only that, “2018 will be the year of full EAN deployment. I am going to have to push you back to talk to other people about exactly [when]. We’ve been asked to be extremely cautious on that point.”

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...ite-objection/
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:58 am

G-VIIC certainly has the radome, just landed on the BA104.
Calum likes this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: