On-board WiFi: soft launch is underway

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 14, 19, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Scotflyer80
Wiki Link
Onboard wifi is being progessively introduced to both BA's long and shorthaul fleets and it is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout

See post 123 for BA's FAQ on the new system.

Longhaul aircraft With WiFi fitted
A380 - 4 Aircraft

G-XLEA, G-XLEG, G-XLEH, G-XLEI

747 (Super Hi-J) - 17 Aircraft

G-CIVF, G-CIVH, G-CIVI, G-CIVR, G-CIVS, G-CIVV, G-CIVW, G-CIVX, G-CIVY, G-CIVZ
G-BYGA, G-BYGB, G-BYGC, G-BYGD, G-BYGE, G-BYGF, G-BYGG

777-200 (4 Class) - 24 Aircraft

​​​​​​G-VIIA, G-VIIC, G-VIID, G-VIIE, G-VIIF, G-VIIG, G-VIIH, G-VIIJ, G-VIIL, G-VIIM, G-VIIN, G-VIIS, G-VIIV, G-VIIW, G-VIIY
G-YMMG, G-YMMI, G-YMMJ, G-YMMK, G-YMML, G-YMMN, G-YMMO, G-YMMP
G-RAES

​​​​​​777-200 (3 Class) - 12 Aircraft

G-VIIU, G-VIIX
G-YMMA, G-YMMB, G-YMMC, G-YMMD, G-YMME, G-YMMF, G-YMMR, G-YMMS, G-YMMT, G-YMMU

777-300 - 7 Aircraft

G-STBA, G-STBB, G-STBC, G-STBD, G-STBE, G-STBG, G-STBL

Note: Aircraft shown In purple have recently returned to service after undergoing maintainence at Cardiff. WiFi installation to be confirmed

Long haul aircraft planned NOT to have WiFi fitted

BA have decided to not fit WiFi to the aircraft listed below. Some of the aircraft are due to be retired from the fleet over the next 2 years. This is thought to be part of the reason for not fitting them with WiFi

747 (Mid-J) - 16 Aircraft

G-BNLN, G-BNLY
G-CIVA, G-CIVB, G-CIVC, G-CIVD, G-CIVE, G-CIVJ, G-CIVK, G-CIVL, G-CIVM, G-CIVN, G-CIVO, G-CIVP, G-CIVT, G-CIVU

747 (Super Hi-J) - 1 Aircraft

G-CIVG

777-200 (4 Class) - 3 Aircraft

G-ZZZA, G-ZZZB, G-ZZZC
Longhaul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

WiFi installation on the remaining longhaul aircraft in operation is expected to be completed by early 2020. Dates shown below are roughly when each aircraft are planned to return to service having undergone WiFi installation. Aircraft are listed firstly by type, then listed by planned return to service date.

Information shown may subject to change and is based on info posted in this thread

A380

G-XLEB - mid March (Currently being fitted in Manila)
G-XLEC - May
G-XLEJ - June
G-XLED - August
G-XLEE - October
G-XLEK - November
G-XLEF - February 2020

777-200 (4 Class)

G-VIIK - 9 February (Currently in CWL)
G-VIIB - 30 June
G-YMMH - 13 May

777-200 (3 Class)

G-VIIO - 17 March
G-VIIP - 8 April
G-VIIR - 30 April
G-VIIT - 24 October

​​​​​​777-300

G-STBI - 2 March (Currently at CWL)
G-STBK - 18 June
G-STBH - 27 November
G-STBF -
G-STBJ -

787-8

Currently unable to find any information on when any of the 12 aircraft in service are expected to be fitted.

787-9

G-ZBKI - 12 March
G-ZBKJ - 14 April
G-ZBKK - 23 April
G-ZBKH - 2 May
G-ZBKL - 3 July
G-ZBKM - 12 July
G-ZBKG - 20 July
G-ZBKN - 28 July
G-ZBKO - 28 August
G-ZBKP - 22 November
G-ZBKA -
G-ZBKB -
G-ZBKC -
G-ZBKD -
G-ZBKE -
G-ZBKF -
G-ZBKR -
G-ZBKS - ​​​​​​

For a full list click here: spreadsheet.

Short haul aircraft currently with Highlife Connect available to passengers:
  • See post #170: There are 71 short haul aircraft that have WiFI installed. Testing of this new service will commence in December 2018 followed by rollout by summer 2019. There will be no WiFi available on Scandinavian sectors until 2020. More info here: http://m.atwonline.com/ife/ean-ready...ritish-airways
Aircraft with WiFi fitted and Enabled*
Aircraft listed have had there WiFi enabled for testing purposes.

A319 - 2 Aircraft

G-EOUA
G-EUPP

A320 (CEO) - 9 Aircraft

G-EUUG, G-EUUK, G-EUUK, G-EUUM, G-EUUN, G-EUUP
G-EUYE
G-TTOB, G-TTOE
Shorthaul Aircraft NOT planned to receive WIFI
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
BA plan to withdraw a number of there A319 aircraft currently in service over next 2 years, as a result the aircraft listed below will not be fitted with WiFi

A319 - 30 Aircraft

G-EUOB to I
G-EUPA to K, G-EUPW
G-DBCA-H, G-DBCJ, G-DBCK

​​​​​​​You can track these aircraft via sites such as thebasource.com and flightradar24. There are currently no plans to install wifi on 747 52J aircraft.

The table below shows (more info in posts #8 and #11) the current cost, which is divided into 2 bands according to whether you need the bandwidth required for streaming videos.

Basic
  • 1 hour: £4.99
  • 4 hour2: £10.99
  • Full flight: £14.99

Fast
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hour2: £17.99
  • Full flight: £23.99
From 26th April 2018 Visa were sponsoring a free 1 hour of basic service (see post #198) however that offer was stopped in September 2018.

Background information:
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 6, 18, 10:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
Is there any chance we can also track narrowbody Wi-Fi installs? The Euro Wi-Fi system has been installed on a couple of A321s for testing and I think it'd be great to track that as well.
Let's certainly have the details here, I think this thread covers all BA aircraft. I don't recall anyone getting shorthaul to work yet.
Old Feb 6, 18, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze (!)
Is there any chance we can also track narrowbody Wi-Fi installs? The Euro Wi-Fi system has been installed on a couple of A321s for testing and I think it'd be great to track that as well.
Do we know which ones? The Lufthansa WiFi antenna is comparably huge, not seen anything similar on BA.
Old Feb 6, 18, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The BA narrowbodied aircraft antenna are on the belly of the aircraft.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 2:18 pm

We're not 100% sure, but it seems a few A321s have received the equipment already. The antennas are very, very small and are on the belly of the aircraft. See here for details: https://paxex.aero/2018/02/inmarsat-...m_campaign=654
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
We're not 100% sure, but it seems a few A321s have received the equipment already. The antennas are very, very small and are on the belly of the aircraft. See here for details: https://paxex.aero/2018/02/inmarsat-...m_campaign=654
Thanks for that link and the photo of the antenna. Someone needs to check G-MEDM, an A321 workhorse, by the sounds of it. It went to NCL and MXP today.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 11, 18, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just flew on 77W G-STBE. Shortly after take-off the crew announced that wi-fi was available on this flight. I tried to register an account in order to access the service via my iPad, and got stuck on the section where you are supposed to select two security questions from a drop-down menu. The drop-down menu simply didn’t appear, in any of my browsers (Safari, Chrome or Firefox). I mentioned the problem to the crew and they said several other passengers had attempted to use the service using a variety of devices (including laptops) and all had encountered the same problem as me, and therefore no-one had managed to connect. So a poor experience for all concerned and no revenue for BA.

Last edited by Starship73; Feb 11, 18 at 2:54 am Reason: Tried to add screen-grabs via iPad but failed!
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex BD*S)
Flew on G-CIVR on Friday. Once the account was set up, I was able to get online, paying for a pass per device. That said, as I put my laptop to sleep over lunch, it asked me to pay again after lunch, which wasn't great. Filed a claim with support, so we'll see.

On an unrelated note, are there any plans to equip the A380s with WiFi?
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
The flight i had back from GRU the other day had wifi installed so Thought Ill try out the free 60 minutes on offer, still needed me to sign up. All fine until it asked me to choose memorable questions foe account recovery and then gave no options in drop down menu. Dead end and unable to sign up. I'm reasonably IT literate and tried on phone, on laptop using different browsers, no luck. Am I missing something? can you sign up in advance before you even get on the plane?
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by florian View Post
Flew on G-CIVR on Friday. Once the account was set up, I was able to get online, paying for a pass per device. That said, as I put my laptop to sleep over lunch, it asked me to pay again after lunch, which wasn't great. Filed a claim with support, so we'll see.

On an unrelated note, are there any plans to equip the A380s with WiFi?
Hi,

I believe the plan is for 90% of the long haul fleet to be equipped with wifi by 2019 per;

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board

I would assume that some of the aircaft schedlued for retirment in the next few years would not get wifi and therefore the A380s would get wifi but no idea on the timescale.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Infocustv View Post
can you sign up in advance before you even get on the plane?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. https://shop.ba.com should work - not sure if it has a register link on it, but I can certainly access my normal account on it while not on BA Wifi.
Old Feb 11, 18, 6:10 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

I was able to successfully Register via the above link, and got past the 2 security questions and their drop-downs. It wouldn't let me pre-register a card however.
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC (busted back down to) Silver, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Flew home on G-CIVS on Sunday night, the wifi was mostly well behaved, but went through spells of unreliability, which looked a mix of loss of satellite uplink and the onboard gateway restarting.

When it was working the latency and speeds seemed generally fine for everything but highly interactive stuff.
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA GGL/CCR, IC Plat A, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Plat, regularly in FS & RC
Currently being on BA67 to PHL and the aircraft is equipped with WiFi; the streaming option is working quite well, however, the main portal/interface is somewhat weird. Couldn't load it on the iPhone or on the iPad, was able to login there but no pricing options were being displayed. No option to choose? Was only able to get it done by using the laptop, there I experienced no issues at all. But shouldn't it also work on the phone and tablets?
Edit: when deleting the cache, the iPhone finally works too!

Last edited by Frequent_Flyer1; Feb 15, 18 at 11:47 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 15, 18, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1 View Post
Currently being on BA67 to PHL and the aircraft is equipped with WiFi; the streaming option is working quite well, however, the main portal/interface is somewhat weird. Couldn't load it on the iPhone or on the iPad, was able to login there but no pricing options were being displayed. No option to choose? Was only able to get it done by using the laptop, there I experienced no issues at all. But shouldn't it also work on the phone and tablets?
Edit: when deleting the cache, the iPhone finally works too!
If the portal doesn’t appear automatically in future, try typing shop.ba.com into your browser when connected to the network. This should open the page where you can purchase packages.
Old Mar 4, 18, 7:35 am
NFH

Programs: BA Blue, AB Gold, HHonours Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Meliá Gold, Carlson Gold, AmexPlat
I flew yesterday on G-ZBJI, a 787 delivered last autumn. I noticed two encrypted wifi networks throughout the flight - BABG-ZBJI and GP54913990. One of the cabin crew seemed particularly into technology. He told me that lots of BA aircraft are have the necessary hardware for wifi, but BA has delayed activating the wifi for some reason. I got the impression that BA wants to have a more big-bang launch than incrementally and quietly adding the service to individual aircraft.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: