Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe to IST

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worcester. One flight gets a remote gate regularly, the one you cite. When BA had 3x running, a second flight gets it about 25 percent of the time. One flight always had a gate. When they go (scheduled) 2x, one will be remote and the second will have a gate.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prospeo, obviously that is a factor, however todays pattern is different than the past. I've been doing this route frequently for 3 decades, throughout the late 80's through to perhaps 6 or 7 years ago, you could gauge the Turkish economy 6 months in the future by examining BA's club loads to IST. I the early 90's when the economy was good, there would regularly be 6 to 12 rows of Club regularly on average. When it was bad, you would see 2 or 3. By the late 90's it would be 9 to 12 vs. 2 or 3.

By 2005 or so, the ratio got even better and soon after BA went to 3x, and started playing with various other Turkish cities. Starting in 2008 TK started its big growth spurt, which included not only building up frequencies and alternative routes (Not to mention Star alliance membership) but then bigger and better aircraft. BA's decline in IST predated all of the current problems, IIRC it really started in 2012, a time when the Turkish economy was ascendent, and also included such "innovative" services such as introducing a late return to IST, so one could actually get work done in London and not blow the entire day.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
I don’t understand why the app kept on telling me there was in flight entertainment when the flight out on sat didn’t even have screens for the moving map.

Also bumping into Karfa at the fast track queue, chatting to him I forgot I had checked my bag in so walked out of Istanbul without my luggage which was lonely on the carousel for a few hours...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:28 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by hfly
Pucci, you must not have flown much in the United States the last few years where seemingly any animal that had the proper certificate, which can be obtained online, can be classed as an "emotional support" or "therapy animal" and be carried in the aircraft cabin.
Honey, it wasn't the parrot - it was the whopping great cage. I kid you not - it just fitted between the seats and came up to almost to the top of the seat in front. There was no way that this was carry-on - but there it was.

Yes, I have seen these animals. I am an animal lover but frankly I think that things have gone far to far. No European airline would allow the size of dogs I've seen on board.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OneworldHarj
I don’t understand why the app kept on telling me there was in flight entertainment when the flight out on sat didn’t even have screens for the moving map.

Also bumping into Karfa at the fast track queue, chatting to him I forgot I had checked my bag in so walked out of Istanbul without my luggage which was lonely on the carousel for a few hours...
Good to meet you on Saturday. Apologies that I distracted you from getting your bag - I must admit I assumed you were carry on bags only.

On Sunday coming back I was on G-EUUE which does have the at-seat audio panel. A movie was shown on the overhead screens although I don't know what it was.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by OneworldHarj

Wednesday last week was coming out of the domestic terminal baggage reclaim to go landslide when someone walked through the security doors with a bag. I immediately reported this to security who cheerfully informed me it was okay he had a ticket stub and had forgotten something.

You can transit to the international terminal so quite poor form to allow random people to pass to airside without checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.