Search

'Hello mate!'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:17 pm

[Deleted duplicate]
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
If it bothered you, I suspect you aren't as "laid back and informal" as you perhaps think. Not least by referring to being entitled to a certain formality!!

if it made you uncomfortable certainly raise it with BA, but I'm not sure trying to objectively assess your level of informality reinforces your point.
you seem to assume I took it personally or minded because it was the way I was personally addressed. It is not so, I reacted the same way I would have reacted if it had been the passenger in front of me or any other greeted in that way. I just think it's mildly out of place and doesn't come across as very professional.

and yes, I've occasionally had it on Aussie airlines and somehow, down under, it feels far more comfortable because it seems to come more naturally to people. Today, the 'hello mate' crew member did not come across as spontaneous at all. He seemed bored and overdoing it to try and come across as friendly and I don't think it worked.

in many ways I'm reassured to see many people feel that it's not an unnatural way to greet passengers on a BA plane. Personally though, I wouldn't allow myself to greet another person I do not know by 'hello mate' in a professional context, and I'll admit that in the UK and Europe at least, I'm not used to professionals - be they a crew member, a banker, a doctor, or a teacher - choosing that greeting for clients whom they are meeting for the first time.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I also support orbitmic on this, I hope he has recovered his sensibilities via the usual routes.
I have indeed, the route in question being a 'who' rather than a 'what', which happens to be all the more efficient at being a smile on anyone's face! 🙂
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I hate the term mate as it implies a status of friendship. Seems to be a common term around the Manchester area. Much prefer a good old EY UP 😀😀
As a Londoner I'm more used to hearing/using "mate" with a hint of, or even outright, aggression.

"Now look here, MATE..."

Followed by some complaint about the addressee having spilled one's pint, encroached upon one's personal space on the Tube, looked at one/one's beloved/one's friend in a funny way, and so on. Rarely does any good come of a situation where that word is used.

I'd be surprised to hear it from cabin crew too.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
I could never be described as "laid back" but I also don't like being called "sir" as I'm not an officer in one of Her Majesty's armed forces.

I think "hello mate" is not an acceptable form of address outside of a public house tap room within a service industry, a simple "good morning/afternoon/evening" will suffice or even just "hello".

However, if I boarded a flight and was greeted by a female crew member along the lines of "Alreet pet" or "morning chuck", I wouldn't bat an eyelid - double standards? Possibly.
I was a Naval officer for many years...and I hate being called "sir" ....Id rather have FA's call me David (after I introduce myself)it is my name after all!... but it seems they are generally not allowed to do that.

As an Aussie I'm perfectly happy with G'day mate. I suspect I Am rather more informal than many claiming to be....
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
As a Yank, I love being called, "luv" when I am in the U.K. As a rule I am much less formal than my friends in LON and I actually try to restrain myself when we get together. That being said, from the first time I met my LON based sets of friends (on a cruise) I called them "honey" and I think they must have liked it, though it wasn't formal, as we have been friends for 12 years now.

I call everybody "honey" or "hon" but I think if I were a FA I may ratchet it back a notch.
HIDDY and trooper like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As a yank, I am confused why someone would get offended at being called mate? Is there some hidden connotation that I am not getting? Is it somehow to equivalent to saying "hey dude!" in America?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by muishkin
As a yank, I am confused why someone would get offended at being called mate? Is there some hidden connotation that I am not getting? Is it somehow to equivalent to saying "hey dude!" in America?
I've no idea if those who don't like it are British or not. If they are, it could be a throwback to the days of masters and servants.

I don't think a ''hello mate'' greeting belongs in the First Class cabin however on a short haul flight where the average fare paid per mile likely works out cheaper than a ride on public transport to work I think you're fortunate to be greeted at all.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I think the greeting was a little overly familiar and therefore not entirely appropriate in a flying situation.

I've always associated "mate" with "Australian". So if I were flying some regional Australian airline (is there one?) or if the FA was obviously an Aussie, I perhaps wouldn't think too much of it. But in general, I think it's just as easy to say "Good morning sir / madam" as it is to say "Hello mate".
Regional airlines in Aus would be Rex (regional express) - where arriving at your destination with both propellors attached to your turboprop is an achievement, Alliance - who fly from Brisbane to about five places, or the lamentable Jetstar and Tiger. Obviously there's also mainline QantasLink and Virgin Australia.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've no idea if those who don't like it are British or not. If they are, it could be a throwback to the days of masters and servants.

I don't think a ''hello mate'' greeting belongs in the First Class cabin however on a short haul flight where the average fare paid per mile likely works out cheaper than a ride on public transport to work I think you're fortunate to be greeted at all.
Perhaps it is a generational thing, but as a 35 year old I don't understand why the amount paid per mile should dictate the formality (or even existence) of the greeting. By your logic, it should be "Hello Mr. Smith" in 1A, maybe with a bow, and "Oy tosser!" to the same guy in 40B?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Dude is more of a younger persons greeting (of any class), where as mate is very informal, typically a working class sort of thing. You're much more likely to hear it from someone on some sort of government assistance than not.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
mate is very informal, typically a working class sort of thing. You're much more likely to hear it from someone on some sort of government assistance than not.
Errr.... perhaps yes to the first part, and I’ve had occasional tradesmen use it in that context. Though actually, I’d say it is simply a very informal greeting used more commonly amongst younger people than older ones. I’ve got some good friends from exceedingly well off backgrounds who use it with their close friends. As such, mate isn’t a greeting I’d typically expect from a stranger/in a service environment because it carries a certain familiarity.

But equating “working class” with likely to be “on some sort of government assistance” (and all the negative implications that carries, rightly or wrongly - ‘scroungers’, etc) seems to be at best insensitive
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gig103
Perhaps it is a generational thing, but as a 35 year old I don't understand why the amount paid per mile should dictate the formality (or even existence) of the greeting. By your logic, it should be "Hello Mr. Smith" in 1A, maybe with a bow, and "Oy tosser!" to the same guy in 40B?
You wouldn't expect it at The Ritz but might do in the Travelodge - same difference. I think it's probably a hangover from the class system!

What's wrong with "hello - welcome" or "good morning"?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
Regional airlines in Aus would be Rex (regional express) - where arriving at your destination with both propellors attached to your turboprop is an achievement, Alliance - who fly from Brisbane to about five places, or the lamentable Jetstar and Tiger. Obviously there's also mainline QantasLink and Virgin Australia.
Wow...seriously? ONE instance of a propeller loss in a long history of operation of Turboprops (as Kendell and Hazleton prior) ...which hurt no one...and you claim a flight without such an incident is an "achievement"?

OK then... presumably you also refer to ANY safe arrival of a BA 777 at LHR similarly? No? Why not? BA 777s have crashed PRECISELY as often as Rex has lost a prop.....
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It is akin to the American greeting 'hey buddy'.

I'm neither the cabin crew member's 'buddy' or 'mate'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.