Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No food in CE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:54 am

As already mentioned you got off lightly with such a small delay. When our 767 had to be swapped due to technical issues about 4 weeks ago, the longest part was waiting for the catering to be unloaded and moved to the new plane. I think all passengers would rather have arrived and hour earlier rather than have a light meal or an over priced and probably not available bob sandwich.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pt flyer
Hard to believe this is a serious thread.

It looks like BA did the best they could to get flyers to the destination ASAP. If your daughter was hungry, I would put the blame on you. Who doesn't have some emergency snack packed when traveling with a child?
I did - but it wasn't breakfast as I planned it by booking a CE seat
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Interestingly a pre-emptive solution could have been proposed giving all CE PAX a voucher to get some food themselves say Ł10, while they were moving from Gate X to Gate Y.

Any half experienced gate agent would have realised the food carts would not fit... and how did the manage the seat swapping from a wide to narrow bodied plane?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: not a lot
Did everyone who was booked on the 767 manage to get on the little Airbus or were people rebooked onto a later flight, appreciate you might not know.

I imagine a full A3XX is a bit cheaper to fly to EDI and back than a half empty 767 but that's just pure speculation on my part.

Anyway, back to normal, I see someone has managed to blame the parent so well done - took a bit longer than normal though.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Lots of interesting (and indeed, mostly relevant) discussion about the reason for lack of catering ; the pragmatic decision to minimise departure delay ; the value (whether actual or perceived) of the missing food ; and suggested compensation levels.

Meanwhile ..... the basic facts :

- customer buys premium cabin ticket

- a core element of the advertised service is not provided (whether for justifiable reason or not)

- aggrieved customer lodges complaint

- airline (fully aware that it has failed to deliver the advertised service) responds with no offer of compensation

Time & again I find myself asking how exactly we got to the point where BA could possibly deem this to be a remotely acceptable stance in the eyes of a premium cabin customer.

Can this totally uncaring attitude be tracked entirely to the appointment of CEO Alex Cruz ? Or is there something more deep-rooted about the thoroughly distasteful attitude of our national carrier

The tragedy is that the case exemplifies a recurring pattern of behaviour which undoubtedly upsets many BA staff as much as it does paying customers. More than anything, it's so very sad.

I am put in mind of the words (albeit arising in different circumstances) recounted here on the forum by a BA flyer, just a few weeks ago, when a CC member remarked despondently : "They've stolen my airline"
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load
Time & again I find myself asking how exactly we got to the point where BA could possibly deem this to be a remotely acceptable stance in the eyes of a premium cabin customer.
Would you have suggested in the OP's situation that the flight incurred a further delay - probably an hour or more - just to get some food onboard for the short flight?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA
Would you have suggested in the OP's situation that the flight incurred a further delay - probably an hour or more - just to get some food onboard for the short flight?
That's not really the point though, is it? It's like going to a Michelin starred restaurant where the Maitre D' bravely saves you from a truck which randomly ploughed through the wall. You'd be very grateful you're alive, but wouldn't expect to pay for all that food you never had.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Yes, that's an option.

I was on an AA domestic flight where no food was loaded for the F cabin. The gate agent came on board and let us know and asked if we were happy to have no catering or if we would prefer to be rebooked on another flight with catering.

To my surprise 2 people did opt for rebooking on a flight leaving an hour later.

Seemed like an entirely sensible approach and kept everyone happy.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Hang on a little bit, you might get some compensation in the way of Avios automatically credited to your account. Sometimes these things take a bit of time to turn around.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That's not really the point though, is it? It's like going to a Michelin starred restaurant where the Maitre D' bravely saves you from a truck which randomly ploughed through the wall. You'd be very grateful you're alive, but wouldn't expect to pay for all that food you never had.
Several folks have already suggested levels of compensation which BA may actually pay.

Originally Posted by mrow
Yes, that's an option.

I was on an AA domestic flight where no food was loaded for the F cabin. The gate agent came on board and let us know and asked if we were happy to have no catering or if we would prefer to be rebooked on another flight with catering.

To my surprise 2 people did opt for rebooking on a flight leaving an hour later.

Seemed like an entirely sensible approach and kept everyone happy.
Out of interest how long was your AA flight though? I am guessing much longer than LHR-EDI since there actually was some food to be loaded for F.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
No, I would not. And furthermore, I feel there was nothing in my post to imply as much. (I even used the word 'pragmatic' as an indication of my support for the decision to get the flight away with minimal delay)

By 'stance' I was - obviously - referring to the response offered by BA to the complaint lodged by the aggrieved customer - which, in fact, amounts to no offer at all.

Some people may perhaps see the matter of zero compensation following non-delivery of a paid-for, advertised service as acceptable. Clearly, BA management do.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Out of interest how long was your AA flight though? I am guessing much longer than LHR-EDI since there actually was some food to be loaded for F.
It was an ORD-JFK (or may have been LGA, can't recall) so longer than an LHR-EDI but not a transcon or anything like that.

Regardless of flight length I just thought the approach was sensible - be up front and give people the option to wait for the service they've paid for or go on the current flight and accept a reduced service.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:38 am

I think for BA they could either do food service and possibly have EU 261 go into effect, or just not do food service at all. I think cost wise for BA shorting on food service is in THEIR best interest.

I do agree with mrow that passengers should have the option to choose since some passengers have connections to make.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Ok, let's not even get into it being acceptable or not to not have food on the plane, it obviously isn't in CE.
You need to demand Avios for this, I think 10,000 avios is reasonable in this case.
So yes, you need to follow it up and demand some compensation for this, you can check previous threads to see similar occurances.
Demand? Demand? Seriously, he flew to EDI - I'm really not sure from where but it can have been a flight of less than 60 mins airborne. An aircraft was switched and he flew and he's supposed to make demands? What was he paying for to get to EDI or eat a stupid snack? I hope that in view of such demands, BA would tell whosoever that politeness precluded them from telling the instigator where they and their demands could go.

CIHY gave the reason why but even he thinks that he's talking to the wall. No wonder CS has had its compensation abilities cut if this was the sort of nonsense with which they were dealing. No one died, No one got hurt, and he arrived to go to the zoo. Lots of others probably didn't given the difference in aircraft size - they may well be compensated as they suffered real inconvenience. Honestly, to what has this all sunk.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mrow
It was an ORD-JFK (or may have been LGA, can't recall) so longer than an LHR-EDI but not a transcon or anything like that.

Regardless of flight length I just thought the approach was sensible - be up front and give people the option to wait for the service they've paid for or go on the current flight and accept a reduced service.
How much compensation did AA give you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.