Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No food in CE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
On a CE AMS/LHR that was catered overnight, the fridges on board went down so they were unable to serve the breakfast. No onboard compensatuon but did secure a £10 voucher at LHE. Brought myself 3 large bags of M&Ms at WH Smith and headed off to the lounge.

I would have preferred the option of avios.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Ok, let's not even get into it being acceptable or not to not have food on the plane, it obviously isn't in CE.
You need to demand Avios for this, I think 10,000 avios is reasonable in this case.
So yes, you need to follow it up and demand some compensation for this, you can check previous threads to see similar occurances.
I mean how do you come up with this number, no one knows...
10000 avios and free flights for life no?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think 10,000 Avios is about right. It's 4500 more to fly CE other domestic plus an extra £17.50 which if valued at a penny an Avios would put it on 5250 or 10500 for the 2 of you.

There is no way the customer should feel that BA have got off lightly.
GLA and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kingcole974
I think 10,000 Avios is about right. It's 4500 more to fly CE other domestic plus an extra £17.50 which if valued at a penny an Avios would put it on 5250 or 10500 for the 2 of you.

As has been pointed out by CIHY it is 3k per person. Let's be realistic in what is or isn't appropriate. CE is not just about the catering. If you take the other benefits into account the onboard catering is only a factor of this, probably around 20% at most, so on your calculations you would be looking at only about 1,000 avios.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Oh and can the OP confirm how they paid for the ticket? Was it a cash CE fare, a RFS or was it a cash ticket in ET with a POUG? If the later, I suspect the child ticket was free. Should any of this make a difference to compensation being payable?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:24 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Next time I am in ET (having used F check in, lounge and priority boarding with the gold card), will BA accept my suggestion that they serve me a CE meal and drinks in return for deducting 3,000 Avios from my account? I doubt it.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Jed
Next time I am in ET (having used F check in, lounge and priority boarding with the gold card), will BA accept my suggestion that they serve me a CE meal and drinks in return for deducting 3,000 Avios from my account? I doubt it.
It’s an interesting business idea but you can already today have a hot bacon roll with a side wholefood salad for 1,200 Avios. Add a G&T and a small bottle of wine, and you even have some spare Avios from your 3,000 initial stash to buy some Percy pigs. Better than CE meal, no?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by madfish
Oh and can the OP confirm how they paid for the ticket? Was it a cash CE fare, a RFS or was it a cash ticket in ET with a POUG? If the later, I suspect the child ticket was free. Should any of this make a difference to compensation being payable?
Onboard service should not be dependent on how and how much you paid. They have accepted your CE booking, they should deliver the service. The only exception to this would be an operational upgrade at the airline’s discretion.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:32 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I agree with TOBIAS. 3000 would be reasonable especially when you compare what you may have received to the BOB menu I.e. Champagne 2025 avios sandwich 675 etc
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I agree with TOBIAS. 3000 would be reasonable especially when you compare what you may have received to the BOB menu I.e. Champagne 2025 avios sandwich 675 etc
BA service recovery is zero nowadays.

In the first place the 3k avios should be proactively offered.

Secondly the offer should be 5k to cover the 'inconvenience'.

But hey they just don't care.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Guess I was being generous with 1k each. I shall hold my ground with the analysis offered above - much appreciated.

For clarity it was an avios + money redemption but as stated I do not think that should change how you deal with the customer in front of you given it is a credit against service not provided.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Doesn't matter how you paid, you didn't receive a meal.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I said 10,000 Avios so that BA makes a statement to show that this is unacceptable conduct on their behalf.
It is bonkers drivel like this that makes me despair of FT sometimes. What was unacceptable about BA's conduct exactly? A 'plane became unserviceable for some reason (we do not know if that can be blamed on BA). Most passengers got exactly what they would choose in that situation - transportation to their destination with the minimum delay. On such a short flight the idea that anyone was seriously inconvenienced by the absence of catering is ludicrous. So BA did the right thing.

Of course if BA are now inundated with chancers demanding 10,000 Avios compensation it will occur to someone that so long as the delay triggered by waiting for catering wouldn't have been such as to trigger EU compo, they should have just waited to cater the new 'plane and paid out zero to anyone. Result: 99% of passengers inconvenienced unnecessarily just to keep the rapacious compo-seekers at bay....
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by kingcole974

Got off lightly? As in BA arranged for a new plane to get passengers to their destination as soon as possible? Did they pay to get a meal or to get somewhere? Compensation is supposed to compensate for something that was not delivered. How can anyone accept a free ticket when they did fly to their destination and only a minor element was missing? Sounds like a refund and then some to me rather than compensation.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CCayley
It is bonkers drivel like this that makes me despair of FT sometimes. What was unacceptable about BA's conduct exactly? A 'plane became unserviceable for some reason (we do not know if that can be blamed on BA). Most passengers got exactly what they would choose in that situation - transportation to their destination with the minimum delay. On such a short flight the idea that anyone was seriously inconvenienced by the absence of catering is ludicrous. So BA did the right thing.

Of course if BA are now inundated with chancers demanding 10,000 Avios compensation it will occur to someone that so long as the delay triggered by waiting for catering wouldn't have been such as to trigger EU compo, they should have just waited to cater the new 'plane and paid out zero to anyone. Result: 99% of passengers inconvenienced unnecessarily just to keep the rapacious compo-seekers at bay....

People who were hungry were inconvenienced. Its BA's job to maintain their planes.

When they fail to do so or provide catering they should provide adequate compensation proactively.
ahmetdouas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.