Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Issue with Cathay Avios Availability Shanghai to Tokyo via Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Evening all,

Am banging my head against a wall! Trying to book a redemption from Shanghai to Tokyo via Hong Kong.

A search from Shanghai to Tokyo produces no results. I can find availability on each leg separately, but when I ring BA up they can’t put them together - it just shows no availability. The agents say they can’t find availability on the legs, even if they search for each leg separately.

I’ve had to make two separate bookings, CX to CX, much against my will because I value the protection of a single booking.

Is this a common problem? Are CX typically good at honouring separate tickets?

I’ve got 4 hours between flights to sway on the side of caution, especially with ATC delays!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Schwann
Evening all,

Am banging my head against a wall! Trying to book a redemption from Shanghai to Tokyo via Hong Kong.

A search from Shanghai to Tokyo produces no results. I can find availability on each leg separately, but when I ring BA up they can’t put them together - it just shows no availability. The agents say they can’t find availability on the legs, even if they search for each leg separately.

I’ve had to make two separate bookings, CX to CX, much against my will because I value the protection of a single booking.

Is this a common problem? Are CX typically good at honouring separate tickets?

I’ve got 4 hours between flights to sway on the side of caution, especially with ATC delays!
The problem is possibly the routing, flying from Tokyo to Hong Kong involves basically flying over Shanghai, so flying TYO to PVG/SHA via HKG is basically tripling the length of the journey! Are you flying via HKG for TWOV reasons? If not, JL operates lie flats to PVG (and possibly SHA?) so that should be an option if not...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The problem is possibly the routing, flying from Tokyo to Hong Kong involves basically flying over Shanghai, so flying TYO to PVG/SHA via HKG is basically tripling the length of the journey! Are you flying via HKG for TWOV reasons? If not, JL operates lie flats to PVG (and possibly SHA?) so that should be an option if not...
I’m flying directly on the way back, from PVG to NRT on JAL, the routing via HKG is merely for novelty/lounge purposes!

But yes, I am TWOV.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:07 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
CX is generally good at protecting flights on separate bookings. You could ring to make a note that the bookings are connected but when you check in at Shanghai you will be able to check through for your whole journey and if there is a delay they will protect you.

Unfortunately you are flying from Shanghai which suffers terrible delays so hopefully you do have a lot of transit time in HK so you can still experience the lounge. Other advice is to get to PVG earlier and request to get out on an earlier flight. They will often allow this as they are familiar with delays.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
CX is generally good at protecting flights on separate bookings. You could ring to make a note that the bookings are connected but when you check in at Shanghai you will be able to check through for your whole journey and if there is a delay they will protect you.

Unfortunately you are flying from Shanghai which suffers terrible delays so hopefully you do have a lot of transit time in HK so you can still experience the lounge. Other advice is to get to PVG earlier and request to get out on an earlier flight. They will often allow this as they are familiar with delays.
I have four hours to connect, although I could move onto an earlier Cathay Dragon flight now as I’m still in the BA cooling off period.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Does Cathay offer a paid fare on that route? Probably not, given the distance and back-tracking.

Often IT systems can't price reward tickets if the operating airline doesn't actually offer a fare on that route. I would have thought BA could sort it manually though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.