Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F flight home from SJC later ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:14 am
Original Poster

F flight home from SJC later ...

Flying F home from our honeymoon from San Jose on the 789 (couldn’t get reward tickets from SFO)

Looking forward to flying on a Dreamliner for the first time, even if the main objective is sleeping on board (8pm flight local time)

Not looking forward to the airport experience however as I’ve read there is only the one lounge there which doesn’t get rated too well

Also, our day flight out here to San Diego on a 777 in F was extremely noisy from the cabin crew “chucking” plates on top of or in the dirty plate area from both the J and F galleys. Has anyone else experience this? Just drifting off to sleep and crash from a load of plates.

Im assuming most people will eat straight away away on this evenings flight and then sleep so hoping for a quieter flight!

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The lounge at SJC is perfectly adequate, and one of the better "The Club" lounges. You're not going to have a dining experience there, but it's comfortable, nice clean showers / bathrooms and really friend staff. 8pm depart will mean 90-120mins of food and service on board and then a sleep.

Enjoy it don't worry about these things - F on the 789 is fantastic.

Also - SJC is a superb efficient airport - as is their car return, if that is relevant. Definitely prefer it to SFO
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The lounge at SJC is perfectly adequate, and one of the better "The Club" lounges. You're not going to have a dining experience there, but it's comfortable, nice clean showers / bathrooms and really friend staff. 8pm depart will mean 90-120mins of food and service on board and then a sleep.

Enjoy it don't worry about these things - F on the 789 is fantastic.

Also - SJC is a superb efficient airport - as is their car return, if that is relevant. Definitely prefer it to SFO
Agreed: lounge isn't going to blow your mind but I certainly found it decent enough (and almost empty, which was great) and the airport is a breeze. So different from experiences at the various NYC airports. Flew 789 F LHR-SJC and 789 J SJC-LHR (7pm departure I think) and remember no chucking!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
I was in the SJC lounge last week and loved it! Great beer selection, nice staff, good snacks (sandwiches, veggies and dips, soup, crisps, what they amusingly call cheese...). There are showers and loads of seats with good sunset views of the runway. Given you'll be in F you should get a pretty good tea on board so I'd say the lounge is ideal.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:17 am

I prefer the SJC lounge to the cramped, claustrophobic, stuffy SFO lounge (although at SFO you do have the option of the CX lounge). The terminal is nice an airy too, and there are decent food options (Smashburger.)

Quick tip, the views on departure are spectacular as you have to do a circuit of the field to climb above arriving SFO and OAK traffic - the result is a 360 degree dusk tour of the Bay Area. Enjoy! (and congrats!)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cubedweller
I prefer the SJC lounge to the cramped, claustrophobic, stuffy SFO lounge (although at SFO you do have the option of the CX lounge). The terminal is nice an airy too, and there are decent food options (Smashburger.)

Quick tip, the views on departure are spectacular as you have to do a circuit of the field to climb above arriving SFO and OAK traffic - the result is a 360 degree dusk tour of the Bay Area. Enjoy! (and congrats!)
ahh that’s a shame, we’ve got the middle two pairs so no fantastic views of the bay
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

thanks for the replies everything,

Sounds like it will be a nice experience.

Currently enjoying my last breakfast in San Fran French toast, bacon and maple syrup 😜 and then we will be heading down to San Jose stopping at the standford shopping centre and the Apple Headquarers in Cupertino

George
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Balls ... too early to check in at San Jose

Got to San Jose a little earlier than expected (had to check out by 12pm and wasn’t much else to do) and BA check in doesn’t open until 3 hours before the flight, whoops!

Now got a lovely 1.5 hour wait in the terminal building 😲
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Check in opened early thankfully ... enjoying some chill time in the lounge now

LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by GeorgeAmbler89; Sep 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by GeorgeAmbler89
Check in opened early thankfully ... enjoying some chill time in the lounge now

What was your opinion of the lounge, after others shared? We have a "The Club" in Phoenix and it's fine, but small.

And did you enjoy the 787? I find the increased humidity noticeable!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Simply don't have any expectation, especially those are high, and you should be fine.

While convenient, it is also one of the worst to rent.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
While convenient, it is also one of the worst to rent.
I've only returned there and on two occasions it was swift with an easy walk to check in after
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Simply don't have any expectation, especially those are high, and you should be fine.
Are you referring to the lounge or the flight? I think it's quite understandable the OP has an expectation as they are flying F after all
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Are you referring to the lounge or the flight? I think it's quite understandable the OP has an expectation as they are flying F after all
The lounge.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Lounge was better than expected, loads of room, plenty to drink and some sandwiches and some hot food.

Flight was great, Dreamliner was much better and I feel noticeable fresher. Got a good six hours sleep. Flight deck visit once landed.

Jist waiting for luggage now

mikeyfly and Gig103 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.