Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dirty planes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by nallison
Don't be surprised if people respond robustly when you question the veracity of their contributions by making authoritative statements about the content of reports you haven't read.
Thanks all for your support.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Don't be surprised if people respond robustly when you question the veracity of their contributions by making authoritative statements about the content of reports you haven't read.
A bit like your post about the EK crash a few days ago eh?

Rather that criticising others, maybe you should start contributing to the forum? I can't remember a single post of yours that has been helpful or informative. Rather, you just pick up what other people have posted and try to pick faults (otherwise known as trolling).
JAXBA likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
For future reference bear in mind the aviation herald is a news site, it has nothing to do with AAIB reports.
The Aviation Herald does a good job of summarising the most salient parts of official reports that are published. So whether you are snidely denigrating the site itself or those who choose to read it to get a potted summary about accidents and incidents, you are wrong to do so.

One thing is quite striking in any discussion here about safety, which is that people repeatedly bring up this engine cowl incident as if BA was the only airline that this has ever happened to, or if BA should somehow have been immune to this particular gotcha.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Globaliser
One thing is quite striking in any discussion here about safety, which is that people repeatedly bring up this engine cowl incident as if BA was the only airline that this has ever happened to, or if BA should somehow have been immune to this particular gotcha.
In fairness, and this isn't aimed at you Globaliser, the reason that this incident keeps being brought up is that some people post assertions that BA's engineering, pilots and safety are somehow in a galactic gold-standard league of their own perfection. Whereas the reality is that, occasionally, everyone makes mistakes and accidents happen. Some airlines make more, some fewer. But everyone makes them. And in the case of BA, this incident demonstrates that management actions/pressure can exacerbate the likelihood of them happening...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
In fairness, and this isn't aimed at you Globaliser, the reason that this incident keeps being brought up is that some people post assertions that BA's engineering, pilots and safety are somehow in a galactic gold-standard league of their own perfection. Whereas the reality is that, occasionally, everyone makes mistakes and accidents happen. Some airlines make more, some fewer. But everyone makes them. And in the case of BA, this incident demonstrates that management actions/pressure can exacerbate the likelihood of them happening...
I don't have time to read the whole 149 page AAIB report, but what exactly did the AAIB find in this regard?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrBernardo
In fairness, and this isn't aimed at you Globaliser, the reason that this incident keeps being brought up is that some people post assertions that BA's engineering, pilots and safety are somehow in a galactic gold-standard league of their own perfection. Whereas the reality is that, occasionally, everyone makes mistakes and accidents happen. Some airlines make more, some fewer. But everyone makes them. And in the case of BA, this incident demonstrates that management actions/pressure can exacerbate the likelihood of them happening ...
If that's what some people have posted here, then that's fair comment. What I suspect is ironic is that BA's flying and engineering departments and personnel probably don't regard themselves as being in a galactic gold-standard league of their own perfection. A good safety culture includes recognising that everyone makes mistakes and understanding the importance of operating all the procedural defences that are intended to trap them and prevent them from turning into something more serious. I doubt that BA's safety standards would be what they are if its own personnel think that they are infallible.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
ALDI Anti bac wipes - take 2/3 packs for the holiday and end up using one on various aircraft! BTW not just BA
Although I like this idea and will probably do the same next time I fly I had to laugh at the potential consequences. I hope I never read something that goes like:

Management have noticed the preferrence of travellers to bring their own cleaning materials on board and in the interests of choice BA are thinking of implementing BOC (Bring your Own Cleaning). A range of products will be available to buy on board. As with BOB cards or avios only...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:56 am

Exactly, some like to pounce on anyone who dares suggest cuts may have affected safety critical departments as well, but the evidence is out there that these departments are not considered sacred by the current management team. I wonder if those who defend their strategy are concerned at all by that?

The engine cowl incident as you mentioned which made the real world effects very clear, and also comments on here from people who have worked in engineering on the impacts of BAs strategy on their work.

There's a myth that often pops up on here, and it's quite sweet, about people flying BA because they feel safer with them than anyone else. If people feel reassured then that's good, but these days, it's not based on reality. Pilots in several other airlines around Europe are given rather more training in manual flight, and leeway to use it on the line as well. The engine cowl incident was also not pretty reading in that regard...I'm sure BA are good, but they are certainly not world leaders in this regard.
Are you able to point me in the right direction to find this information? You imply above that you have read the AAIB report, are you able to direct me to the page numbers where the AAIB have found this to be the case?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
What I suspect is ironic is that BA's flying and engineering departments and personnel probably don't regard themselves as being in a galactic gold-standard league of their own perfection. [...] I doubt that BA's safety standards would be what they are if its own personnel think that they are infallible.
Agree 100% with this - and it's never the pilots and engineers who post on here who make those allegations...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I don't have time to read the whole 149 page AAIB report, but what exactly did the AAIB find in this regard?
Print it out for your next flight - it makes quite interesting reading actually (for all sorts of reasons)... And I'm not usually the sort of aviation-nerd who reads these things religiously.

I read it a while ago, so can't remember all the detail. Post #42 up-thread contains some of the salient material, and there was also a section discussing engineers' working patterns across aircraft/terminals which was illuminating.

As with all good AAIB reports, it doesn't explicitly point the finger of blame. But it's possible to see that downward pressure on costs & staffing levels were contributory factors. And indeed I think it would surprising to anyone if an engineering/maintenance department were exempt from general strategies of cost efficiency. The trick, as always, is in trying to get the balance right...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

???

So you haven't read the report.

There is a whole section titled 'fatigue' and it's mentioned in the executive summary. Let's not try and sweep these things under the carpet. Some relevant quotes:

"Both technicians were working in compliance with the company’s working time policy. However, analysis of their working time records showed that there was an increased risk that their performance could be compromised by
fatigue. This was induced by the significant level of planned and overtime working that they had carried out prior to and including the shift in question. he opportunity for considerable levels of overtime working stemmed from a shortage of maintenance staff within the Terminal 5 line maintenance Operation."

​​​​
"The reliance on bi-annual human factors continuation training to provide shift planners with effective tools to manage fatigue within the operator’s maintenance staff appears to have been ineffective. The effect of fatigue accumulated across the normal shift pattern, and augmented by overtime working, was not
accounted for or measured in an objective way."
These reports do tend to waffle on a bit. At the end of the day BA did not break any rules/laws and noone really knows for sure whether worker fatigue caused it or not.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
A bit like your post about the EK crash a few days ago eh?

Rather that criticising others, maybe you should start contributing to the forum? I can't remember a single post of yours that has been helpful or informative. Rather, you just pick up what other people have posted and try to pick faults (otherwise known as trolling).
Rather ironic your post, no? I'm touched you take such interest in my posts though.

Not sure why you've singled me out, I was merely defending someone who was accused, by a moderator no less, of making things up. I would have thought that's where your concern should be, moderators behaving in such a way rather than me going to the effort of re-reading and quoting the report to provide the information requested. Helpful no? But hey, you enjoy your ad-hominem attack, do you consider that a better contribution? I guess there's some untouchables on this forum.

As for the EK comment, again I merely defended someone who was being picked on by one of the regulars, and noted that firewalling is a feature of the Boeing, because misunderstanding may have arisen from the post saying it can't be done on some planes. And the issue of how TOGA was performed was absolutely related to this incident.

Clearly, and especially as several of the latest contributions show, this is not the place for any kind of sensible discussion about aviation incidents, as people are more interested in defending BA through pedantry and trying to catch people out than a serious discussion. I would encourage people to consider encouraging the airline to improve where its practices are shown to be flawed, rather than go after the people who only point out what it says in the report.
HKGorBust likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are you able to point me in the right direction to find this information? You imply above that you have read the AAIB report, are you able to direct me to the page numbers where the AAIB have found this to be the case?
I'm sure you're capable of opening a report and searching for 'fatigue'. You don't have time to read it, I don't have time to do that for you. We can reconvene when you've read it. There was substantial discussion on more serious fora at the time and the inferences are quite clear, but I doubt you have any interest in the actual chain of causation.

Frankly, I live in Mexico city so my mood is not great and I have much better things to do today than play your silly games.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:22 am

I'm sure you're capable of opening a report and searching for 'fatigue'. You don't have time to read it, I don't have time to do that for you. We can reconvene when you've read it. There was substantial discussion on more serious fora at the time and the inferences are quite clear, but I doubt you have any interest in the actual chain of causation.

Frankly, I live in Mexico city so my mood is not great and I have much better things to do today than play your silly games.
Thank you for your response. I am not playing any games, I prefer to rely on facts rather than accept what I am told on an internet message board. Of course I am capable of reading the Report, but it is 149 pages long and don't have the time to read through it at the moment, but I am not the one making the assertion that:

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Indeed, one of the factors that caused the Oslo engine incident was that BA had under-resourced the engineering team, causing the remaining staff to work longer and harder to the point they suffered from fatigue (and missed the fact they'd left an aircraft in an unsafe condition.
That is a very bold assertion. You joined the discussion with the following so I assumed you had read the report and that you would have been kind enough to lead me to the text that would confirm the above conclusion.

For future reference bear in mind the aviation herald is a news site, it has nothing to do with AAIB reports.

I have read the Findings detauled in the Report's Conclusions and cannot see that there was a finding of fact that the cause of the accident was as a result of fatigue or under-resourcing, as was the allegation.

The Report at page 107 states:

Name:  Screenshot_9.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  54.5 KB

So after assimilating all the evidence, there was no finding of fact that fatigue did play a part in this accident, but that fatigue may have been a factor. There is no mention in the Report, that I could see, that attributed under-resourcing as a contributory factor in the accident. Now if I have somehow missed these findings of fact, please feel free to direct me to them.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that for the present discussion, the most relevant parts of the report, both in sections 1 (factual information) and 2 (analysis) are on pages 52, 84 and 85. The last paragraph before the safety recommendation (which was addressed to EASA and not to BA) seems to be worth reading.
710 77345 and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.