Wiki Posts
Search

Dirty planes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Dirty planes

Just on my second CW leg within a week. The first flight had the usual low level dirt (smears, stains, hairs - the usual that one can self-fix with the hot towel).

On today's flight I found chewing gum sticking out of the little vents at the floor in CW. I asked a member of the crew if that really was gum, she confirmed, but nothing she could do.

Before anybody says I should write to BA: No, I am no longer providing BA with feedback. The only thing that will happen is getting a copy paste email that will completely miss the point.

I just wish they would get the basics right. How hard is it to clean a plane?
Dave_C, goldbro and KMPete like this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
She said there was nothing she could do? How about getting the cleaning crew back on the plane? Surely they can do something about it!

Disgusting.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by LCY8737
How hard is it to clean a plane?
I don't think it's about difficulty. Cleaning a plane shouldn't be "hard" but it's obviously more expensive than BA is willing to pay.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario
She said there was nothing she could do? How about getting the cleaning crew back on the plane? Surely they can do something about it!

Disgusting.
Doors closed. Prefer to arrive on time...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAtticus
I don't think it's about difficulty. Cleaning a plane shouldn't be "hard" but it's obviously more expensive than BA is willing to pay.
Makes you wonder how much cost cutting happens in aircraft maintenance...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:59 pm

Zero correlation, I would imagine - unless there's anything you've seen that would suggest that the plane is unsafe?

Thought not.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Zero correlation, I would imagine - unless there's anything you've seen that would suggest that the plane is unsafe?

Thought not.
Agree to the extent that with BA I don't believe there is any correlation, and the operation is extremely safe. However there is something to be said for the suggestion that if you are seen to be shoddy in one part of your operations you might create the impression of being shoddy in others. There are plenty of people that will make that connection.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:16 pm

I quite often clean my seat with a spare hot towell, like yesterday. Wasn't the worst I have seen.

The male member of crew on the upper deck also thought he would wipe down a few places whilst still on the ground. The female crew member said she was going to take him home.

I don't usually correlate dirty with safety however it was a little concerning to see silver tape stuck in many places near the wing on G-EUPO from DUB to LHR, obviously it flew just fine.
onylon likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by AAtticus
I can see why they cut the cleaning short between two legs but the plane will sit somewhere overnight on most days and there's no excuse for not performing a more thorough cleaning at that point - other than being cheap.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
None.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by lavajava
I don't usually correlate dirty with safety however it was a little concerning to see silver tape stuck in many places near the wing on G-EUPO from DUB to LHR, obviously it flew just fine.
Quite likely speed tape rather than the wing being held together with duct tape...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by obduro
Quite likely speed tape rather than the wing being held together with duct tape...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape
Very interesting, thank you. Love little gems of knowledge like this on FT
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hearingdouble

Thought not.
It's not like we haven't seen the fire at Vegas or the Oslo engine incident. A quick Google search comes up with a long list of issues:
https://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/airline/british-airways

Not saying that these incidents are statistically relevant or much worse than at other airlines. At the same time, fairly sure that today's BA is after every penny - so why would they continue to splash out on maintenance?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:25 am

The airline equivalent of 'go faster stripes'?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted
elizacat likes this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.