BA fares leaving from Nigeria

Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Reality_Czech
Point of Sale inventory control.
I don't think so. Note that while there is Q and O availability, there is no fare filed for Q and O booking classes, the lowest booking class with a fare is N. I suppose that does achieve control of lower price inventory originating from LOS, but it's not the usual situation of a booking class where "fare is filed but inventory in the fare class is not available from that destination for a ticket bought in your country".
You will never be able to get a ticket starting in LOS to LHR booked in Q or O on BA no matter where you buy it from.

Last edited by flatlander; Sep 23, 2017 at 3:41 pm Reason: Clarify POS restriction
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by flatlander
You will never be able to get a ticket starting in LOS to LHR booked in Q or O on BA no matter where you buy it from.
You misunderstand POS control.

BA might have O class fare LOS-LAX or LOS-CPH. Irrelevant if no O class fare basis LOS-LHR.

Expedia.co.uk is UK POS.

BA.com for booking starting in LOS is NG POS.

Not an error. Purely deliberate I believe due to NG currency issues.

If you booking with MFU, the price is GBP so uses UK POS. It is cheaper overall.
Attached Images   
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by flatlander
Plenty of fares are filed at lower prices, ranging from NLX0B6C0 at GBP 521 (with restrictions) to a fully flex YNN0Y6C5 at GBP2573. Looking for example at 20 Oct and 23 Oct, availability in both flights is:
LOS-LHR F9 A8 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T8 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9
LHR-LOS F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9
If you use a GDS in NG, it will look something like this :

LOS-LHR F9 AL J9 CL W9 Y9 BL
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
"BA might have O class fare LOS-LAX or LOS-CPH. Irrelevant if no O class fare basis LOS-LHR."
That's not correct, there are many instances where a cheaper fare is filed to a distant destination than is filed to a closer point that is a stopover on the longer journey. This is what is exploited with hidden city ticketing.

For the rest, you have a point. As well as no fares for the cheapest selling classes, there also seems to be a lack of availability in any class less than Y for a Nigerian point of sale (such as a straightforward Nigerian travel agent).
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the interesting chat this question developed (and some slightly off topic!). Exchange rates are clearly an issue but airlines were getting help on exchange rates then I found this which may explain the recent hike:
http://punchng.com/exchange-rate-for...s-raise-fares/

I looked at Expedia and Opdo and they are indicating about 1700 for my sample flight, which is better then the BA website of about 3000: but still crazy. What is really anoying is that they quote and charge me in USD even though I pay with my UK credit card, on a UK(?) website and with a VPN on giving me a UK IP address - so no reason to convert this to nira in my mind but I guess that is a tax thing.

Anyway there don't seem to be many solution to my problem...except swap to differnet airline. Qatar would still get my points, but rather a long route for a weekend (first object is to get the missing 110points for my gold card). Other airlines would get me home to see my family for longer. Third wait until exchange rate issue re-adjusted before buy more tickets!

Longer term take a single and then start buying UK originated flights...
Attached Images  
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Final out come: Google Flights flags a price drop jumped in immediately and got 2 business class returns for $2400 total. A few hours later it was back to the $4000 each!! Happy chap in the end.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This sounds to me as though it is POS control and the RM/IM did open space at the lower buckets and those, of course, were snapped up by OP and perhaps a few others. Now it's back to the higher buckets.

LOS and LON are simply different markets and BA can charge more at LOS than LON.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.