Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Northern lights lounge Aberdeen serious lapse in security today [CS issue]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northern lights lounge Aberdeen serious lapse in security today [CS issue]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Geordie405

If I was the OP and this was my welcome I doubt I'd be back for seconds.
I think you're right. OP's 'Last Activity' was 3 hours 46 mins after post # 1 (i.e. between post # 46 and post # 47) - so OP probably read the contemporaneous sequence of posts, didn't like what they read, and decided to call it quits. Another 'one post wonder'? A shame really.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by simonrp84
^
This thread has not shown BAFT in a good light, to be honest.
I don't think it has shown anyone in a good light.

Let's be frank, on the story itself the agent did not act in a very professional way but then again the OP's husband interfered in someone else's business and then came on here calling a shots about a "serious security lapse" and demanding an employee was "deal with severely".

As far as BAFT is concerned, inevitably it drew a reaction, but if I was a first time poster I might have felt my way in a bit more steadily I think.

I doubt the OP will return, people generally don't return to say 'I got it wrong' so the thread has run its course really.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by davidharris
As previous posters have said, every chance the other guy picks his bag up afterward and sticks it in a locker above your head on your flight. The checks are there for a reason.
Just to welcome you, davidharris, to Flyertalk and to the British Airways board in particular. Clearly this is a sensitive topic, but thank you for making your first contribution here and I very much hope will see more from you in this forum.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Agree with this and don't like to gang up on a FT member. Most people agree that their concerns were misplaced here and that challenging the staff member was unreasonable, but also the staff member could have handled the situation much better by explaining why it wasn't a security risk to the OP, instead of saying they were being abusive.
I agree to a degree on the frst part but given the inflamatory post then robust responses should be expected but not the second.

Some people are assuming the actions / words / attitude of the lounge guardian based on what the OP wrote. But none of us were there so we don't know.

She may have very well tried to explain the risks to the OPs husband who may have talked over her.

Remember the OP stated that her husband told her at least twice he "was not happy that the suitcase was being left". If he also threw in 'I'll report you and get you sacked' - as intimated by the OP that they did later - "hope she is dealt with severely" - then that can be regarded as abusive.

As can be - in the OPs own words - "I advised her in my opinion she was not doing her job properly".

Being abused is how the person at the end of it feels not the perpetrator, his wife or any witnesses. You might think telling someone you are going to get them into trouble isn't abuse but to others it is.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
To be honest the only time I've witnessed customer facing staff using that phrase was when they were dealing with someone who was being a lout.
And I'm always cynical when people feel the need to start a sentence with "To be honest", as if they're making an exception this time
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
And I'm always cynical when people feel the need to start a sentence with "To be honest", as if they're making an exception this time
I'm sure it was an exception. I don't believe that @HIDDY habitually goes around telling people - or even just implying - that they are louts!

But then...you say you are always cynical
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I've not been on here for too long, but I noticed 60% of new posters go on to be contributors and the other 40% rant about something, usually don't get the responses they want as perhaps if truth be told they are overreacting, go off in a huff and they never appear again.

It's a shame but you cant please everyone.

Throwing my opinion into the ring....when I first started to get lounge access I must admit when I first saw people leaving luggage unattended I was a bit 'on guard' (for lack of a better phrase) thats not to say I ever did anything, but years previously of being told to 'report unattended baggage' and the regular tannoy announcements telling us unattended baggage will be destroyed etc just meant you had a defensive outlook. I quickly learnt lounge culture and now it doesn't bother me at all. Perhaps the OP is fairly new to lounges.

I think this thread highlights the duality of the airline industry, basically if you spend money with the airlines and have status the rules can be bent. i.e leave some baggage unattended in certain circumstances and deny boarding to drunk Y passenger but offer unlimited booze to passenger with status. I'm not saying its right or wrong, it just is what it is
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I think you're right. OP's 'Last Activity' was 3 hours 46 mins after post # 1 (i.e. between post # 46 and post # 47) - so OP probably read the contemporaneous sequence of posts, didn't like what they read, and decided to call it quits. Another 'one post wonder'? A shame really.
Indeed. No doubt that the responses here were not what the OP expected. Agree there is almost no way they will return now.

I expect also that despite the pretty much unanimous response here that the security concern was unfounded, the OP will prob still be of the opinion that they were right. Just judging by the tone of the original post.

Last edited by Enigma368; Sep 20, 2017 at 3:48 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm sure it was an exception. I don't believe that @HIDDY habitually goes around telling people - or even just implying - that they are louts!
Are you new here?

Originally Posted by irishguy28
But then...you say you are always cynical
That's not what I said. But you are correct
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
alongside "I don't mean to be rude but..."
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That's not what I said. But you are correct

It takes one to know one!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
I've not been on here for too long, but I noticed 60% of new posters go on to be contributors and the other 40% rant about something, usually don't get the responses they want as perhaps if truth be told they are overreacting, go off in a huff and they never appear again.

It's a shame but you cant please everyone.
Well, the OP didn't try very hard to please anyone!

Notwithstanding the exquisitely warm welcome he/she received, the post itself was ill-informed, pompous and vindictive. The first is fine, expected and the second we're used to, but the third characteristic doesn't represent the generosity of spirit which I'd like to think permeates the FT ethos.

Finers-crossed that those receiving the "official complaint" deal with it in a sensible way......

There again, the post might have been a troll - in which case we are all making fools of ourselves
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

To be honest I doubt your post will cause sufficient grief to HIDDY for him never to return to this forum again. Then again ...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
alongside "I don't mean to be rude but..."
"With the greatest respect.... " is another of those heralds of rudeness
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As we seem to spiralled away from discussing the thread topic, it's time to close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.