Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What % of passengers on a delayed flight will claim EU261 do you think?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club

Whilst being delayed by four hours on last Friday's BA55 I was trying to calculate the amount of compensation this one flight was going to cost BA.

Given that many of the passengers appeared to be domiciled outside of the UK or not regular flyers, I wonder what % of the passengers would actually put a claim in? BA obviously made no mention of the regulation.

Any thoughts/guesses? I would presume that it would also be dependent on the route.. i.e. a delayed flight from LHR to GLA would probably attract a higher percentage claiming EU261 due to the awareness of the legislation by domestic passengers.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My only experience, on a LGW-KIN in J with a 24h delay, and with Y and W packed with what would appear to have been infrequent flyers, suggests to me that many, if not most, wouldn't have been told or known about EC261.

BA put us (J) overnight at the LGW Sofitel, and apparently left some 261 info sheets at Reception. I never saw them, and there was certainly no proactive information offered to us. As for the Jamaicans down the back, on an infrequent family visit, I have no idea ... but I suspect they lost out 'big time'.

We were sat outside the Sofitel having a ciggie, and fell into conversation with a lady on the flight. She knew nothing about 261 either ... that upset us.
Grog and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
i am not sure but I speculate that the number of ppls NOT claiming might be quite significant. Sometimes I don't claim anything either out of laziness despite knowing about EU261. For example, my recent trip to ARN involved a tight connection at T5 on a JFK-LHR-ARN itinerary. The first leg arrived 20 minutes late and at T5B. I didn't get to the fast track connection in T5A until 28 minutes before the departure of the next leg (BA 776) which caused the system to automatically boot me out of the flight. I was rebooked on the next flight to ARN (BA 778) which arrived 3+ hrs later. To be fair, I didn't care if I arrived in Stockholm in the morning or in the afternoon. Actually arriving in the afternoon worked out better since that is the normal hotel check-in time.. I didn't bother to file a claim since I didn't feel wronged by the delay.

Last edited by muishkin; Sep 18, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
I've never been in a position to claim, having only had near moments. Most recently was flying with some friends a few weeks ago and hoping it got to the 3 hour mark so as we'd be able to get some compensation, and none of them seemed to know anything about it. Given that information generally isn't offered unless asked for, I wouldn't assume it's a high % of pax that ever claim, though.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
The only time I've been eligible saw a 4 hour-ish delay announced on the app the previous day. The captain told us all that this was due to late finishing maintenance on the plane, and that a replacement plane to ensure an on time arrival couldn't be sourced. To his credit, he also let us know in his pre-flight briefing that this meant we are all eligible for EU compensation and to ask the cabin crew for more details about the online claims process if we needed it.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:52 am

Less than 10% I would say.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by simons1
Less than 10% I would say.
But as time goes on whatever the percentage, It is bound to increase as more and more people become aware of it.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Before I joined FT, I think I may have vaguely heard about EU261, but certainly wouldn't have thought to apply for it.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
It would also be interesting to know, of those that do initiate a claim, how many do not pursue it after being fobbed-off with the generic customer service response
Grog likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by kurto1
It would also be interesting to know, of those that do initiate a claim, how many do not pursue it after being fobbed-off with the generic customer service response
As it is a legal obligation, as opposed to "my steak was tough", I would pursue them to the hilt. 261 isn't an optional requirement.

And, as they are also noted on the Ryanair forum, "Are people being told their rights!"
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
I had a 10hr delay with AC and the 2 Canadians infront and behind me in the queue knew nothing about EU261 and I'm not sure they even believed me when I told them about it. My guess would be they didn't claim.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Plenty more after today's references to it by MOL
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 11, 2017 at 10:35 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 11, 2017 at 10:35 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The airlines have had more than enough time to train staff appropriately and to fulfill their obligations. As they are clearly not doing so and are frequently willfully misleading customers (we're sorry for the delay, here's 1,000 air miles), I agree that it's time that compensation be processed automatically.
Grog, T8191 and Worcester like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.