FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   4 BA segments... for those based in Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1867533-4-ba-segments-those-based-asia.html)

carrotjuice Sep 18, 2017 8:38 am

4 BA segments... for those based in Asia

This year, unlike previous years, I don't have the opportunity for a business trip back to the UK / Europe. So I'm thinking of the cheapest flights to achieve my 4 BA segments.

Criteria:
- Based in SIN but can originate anywhere within SE Asia
- Long haul will be PE (so that I can upgrade to J with Avios)

The cheapest I've found is JHB-KUL-LHR-HEL-LHR-KUL-JHB, with JHB-KUL on MH Y, KUL-LHR on BA PE, LHR-HEL on BA Y codeshare with AY metal. Price is GBP 872 which I think isn't too bad for 280 TPs.

Same price ex KUL but only 240 TPs.

Anyone can help me do better?

Globaliser Sep 18, 2017 9:54 am

In case you haven't already seen these threads, which could prompt some more ideas (although note the thread dates):-

Globalist Sep 18, 2017 10:10 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 28829401)
This year, unlike previous years, I don't have the opportunity for a business trip back to the UK / Europe. So I'm thinking of the cheapest flights to achieve my 4 BA segments.

Criteria:
- Based in SIN but can originate anywhere within SE Asia
- Long haul will be PE (so that I can upgrade to J with Avios)

The cheapest I've found is JHB-KUL-LHR-HEL-LHR-KUL-JHB, with JHB-KUL on MH Y, KUL-LHR on BA PE, LHR-HEL on BA Y codeshare with AY metal. Price is GBP 872 which I think isn't too bad for 280 TPs.

Same price ex KUL but only 240 TPs.

Anyone can help me do better?

Haven't checked price but how about
SIN-SYD-MEL vv? Or SIN-SYD-AKL cc.

The QF flight connecting to the BA flight has a BA flight number and last time I went to AKL that flight counted towards the 4. (To my surprise).

Next week I am making use of the offer from JHB-KUL-LHR-AMS vv for sgd 3,800 in club netting me 400tp. Not as good value as MH to TPE or ICN but still good.

Globalist (also based in SIN)

jerry a. laska Sep 18, 2017 10:16 am

Also see this thread and the linked threads within:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...haul-asia.html

carrotjuice Sep 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 28829766)
Haven't checked price but how about
SIN-SYD-MEL vv? Or SIN-SYD-AKL cc

Yes I did, agree SIN-SYD-MEL would be cheapest ex SIN.

Guy Betsy Sep 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 28832029)
Yes I did, agree SIN-SYD-MEL would be cheapest ex SIN.

I did BNE instead... Basically you can choose SYD-BNE/CBR/ADL/MEL/HBA with BA codeshares.

ermen Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 28832059)
I did BNE instead... Basically you can choose SYD-BNE/CBR/ADL/MEL/HBA with BA codeshares.

And if course PER! But the timing is really horrible

But this is a good thread - I didn't know ex KUL was that reasonable and I will probably use that myself!

carrotjuice Sep 20, 2017 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 28829766)
Next week I am making use of the offer from JHB-KUL-LHR-AMS vv for sgd 3,800 in club netting me 400tp. Not as good value as MH to TPE or ICN but still good.

Globalist (also based in SIN)

Can you share how you would travel from to JHB airport in the least inconvenient way from SIN?

Looking at the public transport connections, seems rather a hassle: https://www.causewaylink.com.my/airport-shuttle-bus

carrotjuice Sep 20, 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ermen (Post 28836509)
But this is a good thread - I didn't know ex KUL was that reasonable and I will probably use that myself!

Indeed. Ex KUL or JHB you can travel to Europe in PE for about the same price as Y ex SIN to Australia - more Avios and TPs.

ermen Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 28838255)
Can you share how you would travel from to JHB airport in the least inconvenient way from SIN?

Looking at the public transport connections, seems rather a hassle: https://www.causewaylink.com.my/airport-shuttle-bus

Convenience is a function of price.

Theoretically the most convenient would be (obviously also a function of where in Singapore you live)
1. Singapore to JHB: Malaysia taxi from Queen's street straight to Senai Airport
2. JHB: Malaysia taxi to Queen's street (then change to singapore taxi)

No idea about price above.

What I did (and I have done this at least 4 times over the last 2 months)

From JHB to Singapore: Grab Car to JB Sentral (Uber is a bigger hassle IME). Request driver to go via the expressway to be quicker (you will need to pay him another RM2 for the expressway toll). Cross customs via bus to Singapore. From JHB to SIN it can take 1 hour if you know what you are doing. Grab is ~RM35 off peak. Uber is cheaper RM25 w/o surge - but they normally don't want to take you and its always a negotiation (which pisses me off as they always cancel on you and you waste heaps of time...)

Singapore to JHB: Cross causway via bus. Uber/Grab at JB Central / City Square to Senair- I normally walk to the Caltex and tell them to pick me up there. If you are lucky, a Uber driver would take you and it will cost you RM25 w/o surge (otherwise with surge around RM40). JB Sentral to Senai should be ~45 mins by car. You will need to factor in the immigration queues on the JB side, ride hailing etc and work backwards...

Globalist Sep 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 28838255)

1. Uber, I am going to ask them but if i put Senai in the app I got a quote. (SGD 70)

2. Victoria Street bus terminal, they have taxis to JB (SGD 50) and I asked about going to Senai whicbh was also possible (SGD 70).

The good thing about the two options above (if Uber works) is that you do not need to leave the car as it goes trough car lane immigration on both ends and drops you at the airport.

3, Take a taxi (or bus) to woodlands terminal, cross via the bus and take an Uber for RM30 on the JB side to senai. Less convenient but half the price.

I am thinking to use option 3 this coming Monday.

From the Victoria street terminal there are causeway link buses you can take to the JB side but you do have to get out for passport control. It is easy and then take the Uber on the JB side to Senai. you can also get to Larkin and get on another bus that takes you to Senai. That bus departs once an hour.

Always be aware of busy times, traffic jams and immigration queues. Those can be up to 2 hours on weekends and rush hours.

Hope that helps,
Globalist

carrotjuice Sep 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Does Uber actually work for cross strait travel? I'm aware the driver won't see the destination at the time he accepts the trip. Surely the driver won't have his passport that he'd need to bring along if he's to drive across the causeway?

Globalist Sep 21, 2017 12:03 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 28840981)
Does Uber actually work for cross strait travel? I'm aware the driver won't see the destination at the time he accepts the trip. Surely the driver won't have his passport that he'd need to bring along if he's to drive across the causeway?

I just put in the destination in the app and it gave a price. I will drop a message to Uber to see.

*update, Uber responded with the vague statement: "Uber partner-drivers are not encouraged to cross borders." I responded back recommending the app does not price this on which they said there is no option for that as of the moment.

so:
1. taxi/uber to woodlands (SGD 20), bus across the causeway SGD 2) and an uber to senai MYR 30 (total about SGD 35)
2. Taxi from Victoria street/Queen street terminal to Senai (SGD 70).
3. Causeway link bus. (probably SGD 10)

Globalist

ermen Sep 21, 2017 3:29 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 28840981)

Doesn't officially work.

And in practice very difficult as you will need driver to have passport + be complicit in this

(Mind you Grab wanted to do something official with a cross-border ride sharing scheme - but it got shut down pretty quick)

http://www.businessinsider.sg/going-...and-singapore/

Globalist Sep 21, 2017 6:45 am

Originally Posted by ermen (Post 28841378)
Doesn't officially work.

And in practice very difficult as you will need driver to have passport + be complicit in this

(Mind you Grab wanted to do something official with a cross-border ride sharing scheme - but it got shut down pretty quick)

http://www.businessinsider.sg/going-...and-singapore/

That's a good and clear link, Uber in their rely could have been a bit clearer. Their app should have not priced it in the first place, like Grab does not offer it at all anymore.

So only the 3 options left, and normal other public transport options that are a relative pain when carrying bags.

Globalist