4 BA segments... for those based in Asia

Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Globalist
That's a good and clear link, Uber in their rely could have been a bit clearer. Their app should have not priced it in the first place, like Grab does not offer it at all anymore.

So only the 3 options left, and normal other public transport options that are a relative pain when carrying bags.

Globalist
Why not drive over?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Nuster
Why not drive over?
You need a car for that, and owning a car in Singapore is more expensive than taking a taxi every day anywhere

Globalist
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Can you share how you would travel from to JHB airport in the least inconvenient way from SIN?

Looking at the public transport connections, seems rather a hassle: https://www.causewaylink.com.my/airport-shuttle-bus
As a datapoint from my trip out last week and back this week.
JHB-KUL-LHR-AMS vv.

4.10pm departure at JHB as I wanted some time in KL Sentral.
Left Singapore to Bugis at 12.30pm
Left Bugis to Senai at 12.45 and arrived at 2.10pm. SGD 70.

Return last Wednesday, landed at 6.35pm, taxi at the airport counter was RM 285, that's about SGD 90. Next time I will talk with the outbound driver and see if they can pick me up pre arranged for a better price. I remember from a few years ago it was a lot less.

All in all, very comfortable, affordable and fast. Especially since I had 3 heavy bags. No need to stand and queue at immigration. Stay in the car, show passport at the border crossings and that's it.

Globalist
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

As a datapoint from my trip out last week and back this week.
JHB-KUL-LHR-AMS vv.

4.10pm departure at JHB as I wanted some time in KL Sentral.
Left Singapore to Bugis at 12.30pm
Left Bugis to Senai at 12.45 and arrived at 2.10pm. SGD 70.

Return last Wednesday, landed at 6.35pm, taxi at the airport counter was RM 285, that's about SGD 90. Next time I will talk with the outbound driver and see if they can pick me up pre arranged for a better price. I remember from a few years ago it was a lot less.

All in all, very comfortable, affordable and fast. Especially since I had 3 heavy bags. No need to stand and queue at immigration. Stay in the car, show passport at the border crossings and that's it.
Thanks for reporting back, much appreciated. Seems for JHB departures need to budget extra ~SGD200 or so for ground transportation.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:59 am

Yes - ex MY is very good value in PE and has free changes/cheap cancellations - and if you are SG based you can route via Singapore and take stopovers here as suits

I am considering the ex - JHB option as the connection is no extra cost vs having to get myself to KL

One word of warning though - around local holidays the crossings get EXTREMELY busy - 2hrs to cross would be possible. The "second link" is usually better

You can either book a private transfer or take a Malaysian taxi from Queen St to JHB. No Singapore taxi or Grab/Uber can take you.

Budget options would be the bus over the border then bus/taxi to the airport. Or there is a train from Woodlands over the Causeway - which has the very big benefit of it's own customs so no uncertainty on timing, but tickets and frequencies are limited and sell out well in advance for the popular timings
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Yes - ex MY is very good value in PE and has free changes/cheap cancellations - and if you are SG based you can route via Singapore and take stopovers here as suits
Don't quite understand your statement in bold... care to explain?

I haven't ever found any BA fare ex MY that enables you to route via SG.

Are you suggesting KUL-SIN-SYD where SIN-SYD is on BA15? But ba.com doesn't allow you to book that...
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Don't quite understand your statement in bold... care to explain?

I haven't ever found any BA fare ex MY that enables you to route via SG.

Are you suggesting KUL-SIN-SYD where SIN-SYD is on BA15? But ba.com doesn't allow you to book that...
Interested to know too how to route via Singapore

As an aside - another data point from the weekend.

1/ Landed JHB 10:35pm
2/ Hailed a Grab - RM33+RM2 expressyway toll arrived JB Customs ~1115pm
3/ Out at Singapore CIQ Woodlands taxi stand 11:35pm.

Think it must be a record.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:51 pm

Sorry - this is back to London on the very good PE fares - some new T/ DIF fares have appeared. These are now bookable on ba.com - including with Jetstar vs MH connections - this wasn't possible before!

You can route - KUL-SIN-LON with minimal extra fees and get a extra 40tps per trip

This allows you to do a B2B in KUL or a mini trip there at your convenience in advance and then pick up the SIN-LON-SIN flights at another time

Then you can use the SIN-KUL ticket at a later date or just drop that leg. It books into B class (20tps each leg) - so it's easy to find seats and is flexible with no charge so you can just keep it for when you need it (perhaps as the start of the next trip!)

Note:- if you want to UuA these to CW then you need to call BA to book - TA tickets with MH segments in won't be eligible. You can usually carry on to Europe at no extra cost or for even less - one I've been looking at for next June I can carry on to Funchal for no extra charge

Last edited by sammyg901; Oct 8, 2017 at 10:59 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:47 am

Sorry - this is back to London on the very good PE fares - some new T/ DIF fares have appeared. These are now bookable on ba.com - including with Jetstar vs MH connections - this wasn't possible before!

You can route - KUL-SIN-LON with minimal extra fees and get a extra 40tps per trip

This allows you to do a B2B in KUL or a mini trip there at your convenience in advance and then pick up the SIN-LON-SIN flights at another time

Then you can use the SIN-KUL ticket at a later date or just drop that leg. It books into B class (20tps each leg) - so it's easy to find seats and is flexible with no charge so you can just keep it for when you need it (perhaps as the start of the next trip!)

Note:- if you want to UuA these to CW then you need to call BA to book - TA tickets with MH segments in won't be eligible. You can usually carry on to Europe at no extra cost or for even less - one I've been looking at for next June I can carry on to Funchal for no extra charge
Interesting - i see the ability to route through SIN/BKK/HKG
Though the price (for PE), seems much more expensive - almost double from RM4000+ to RM7000+
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for reporting back, much appreciated. Seems for JHB departures need to budget extra ~SGD200 or so for ground transportation.
A small oversight on my account, the domestic MH sector when purchased in Club/Business on my booking JHB-AMS does book into the I fare which does not earn TP or Miles.

I was a bit surprised by this as I expected all payable business class fares to earn.

Globalist
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by ermen
Though the price (for PE), seems much more expensive - almost double from RM4000+ to RM7000+
I haven't had chance to play around with this yet - but the dates I was looking at it's a POS issue - ex-MY the SIN flights don't have T open, they might do this on purpose

So calling in to BA in the UK I believe gets around this? Or at least using a UK based OTA - but then no UuA possibility
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

A small oversight on my account, the domestic MH sector when purchased in Club/Business on my booking JHB-AMS does book into the I fare which does not earn TP or Miles.

I was a bit surprised by this as I expected all payable business class fares to earn.
As did I (pun intended)!

This may change the dynamics a little... unless you can have a cheap flight from SIN to KUL that costs less than ~SGD200 return (which I'd argue is more than just that, if one were to also take away the hassle of travelling to JHB).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:50 am

I haven't had chance to play around with this yet - but the dates I was looking at it's a POS issue - ex-MY the SIN flights don't have T open, they might do this on purpose

So calling in to BA in the UK I believe gets around this? Or at least using a UK based OTA - but then no UuA possibility
yeah would be interesting if they could price out something in T class...
even better if it could route through HKG for me!

btw do you know what the T class fare basis is?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen
But beware these flights are not BA code! So while they earn Avios and TP, they won't meet the "4 qualifying flights" criterion, eg. KUL-SIN/BKK is MH coded, KUL-HKG is KA coded.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

As did I (pun intended)!

This may change the dynamics a little... unless you can have a cheap flight from SIN to KUL that costs less than ~SGD200 return (which I'd argue is more than just that, if one were to also take away the hassle of travelling to JHB).
Very true, count the time and cost to go to JB, you might as well fly to KUL from Singapore and take it from there. It will be on a seoerate ticket so you will have the lower MH baggage allowance. But you get the points for the flights.

But beware these flights are not BA code! So while they earn Avios and TP, they won't meet the "4 qualifying flights" criterion, eg. KUL-SIN/BKK is MH coded, KUL-HKG is KA coded.
If you book KUL to AMS you see the price (in club) drop by RM600 or so and you would have your 4 flights.

If you book a London stopover before going to AMS and on the way back connect straight from Amsterdam to KUL at LHR you avoid the U.K Airport Departure Tax.

Example fares later this month:
Malaysia to London in Club, 13,282 (2 flights)
Malaysia to AMS in Club 12,658 (4 flights)

Globalist

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.