Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 cans of beer - Lounge theft? (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:03 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It will be your problem if BA decides to stop the self-pour bar and replace it with a tended bar, they could even introduce coupons - then you'll have to stand in line and wait to get your drink...
I've suggested this a few times, and am patiently waiting for BA to introduce an AA style system.

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, here is one I spotted at MAN last weekend.
Many thanks.

So, if someone was to take items out of the lounge at MAN, would it be considered theft (because there are warnings advising against consumption outside the lounges)?

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I didn't notice any last time I was in GC, if it was obvious I would have noticed.
I'd be intrigued to know for definite.

M
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are no signs about not removing food in LHR, but there are in LGW and MAN. There was one in NCL but it mysteriously vanished a few months back.

BOB is irrelevant here. This customer lives his life in public and online (why on earth do people do this?), so we know he was on a longhaul flight, and that if BA FT Neighbourhood Watch™ was in full operation, we would have sent HIDDY yesterday evening to the 4th floor of the Ciudad Cultural Konex in Buenos Aires to recover the ill-gotten gains and return them to Galleries First. I suspect he may have had better things to do.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I've taken a beer (Tribute or London Pride, so a while back) out of the lounge on a rare occasion. A couple of times I've been in the lounge when there's been a delay, boarding is announced and I've not opened the can yet.

One time I took a can with me just in case the BoB trolley didn't reach me, or it took ages. Thanks to Flyertalk I felt guilty about that and never done it again

Shame T5 doesn't have a nice shop like Centrale that opened recently at Newcastle Central rail station. A massive range of beers there, but there's nowhere in most airports where you can get any sort of beer to take away, never mind a decent beer.

I guess the reason for this is most airlines don't allow consumption of your own alcohol, so airports tend not to sell take away beer.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Lots of people predicting how BA might deal with this, from the 'tokens and a service bar' to 'vending machine style operation'. Ridiculous

1) The cost to implement ANY new serving method would far far outweigh the value of items consumed outside the lounge.

2) It would cheapen the lounge experience, which has an intrinsic value in itself

Why can't people on the thread accept that a small % of people will take stuff from the lounge to consume elsewhere. As long as this % is a small number (maybe slightly increased since BoB but still marginal), who really cares? Posting pictures on a thread and accusing people of theft (which, in the absence of a sign, it isn't) is really pathetic IMO.

Don't people have better things to do than worry about BA's profit margin?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by renwaldo
Lots of people predicting how BA might deal with this, from the 'tokens and a service bar' to 'vending machine style operation'. Ridiculous
Not everything in this thread is to be taken seriously.

See Oxon Flyer's post above.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

1) The cost to implement ANY new serving method would far far outweigh the value of items consumed outside the lounge.

2) It would cheapen the lounge experience, which has an intrinsic value in itself

Why can't people on the thread accept that a small % of people will take stuff from the lounge to consume elsewhere. As long as this % is a small number (maybe slightly increased since BoB but still marginal), who really cares? Posting pictures on a thread and accusing people of theft (which, in the absence of a sign, it isn't) is really pathetic IMO.

It's not really a prediction, but a (mostly) lighthearted discussion. Several try to justify this tacky (perhaps criminal) behaviour, while others comment on potential consequences of the behaviour to show this is not a victimless 'crime'. We could all be affected by the consequences of this abuse, should BA decide to make any changes - which perhaps, may be, unlikely.

I wouldn't be so quick at dismissing the consequences you mention in (1) and (2) above, the lounge at DUB recently changed its catering so that nothing can be removed from the lounge, and there is now no self-pour alcohol. Many contract lounges are adopting the same, it is not as ridiculous as you suggest.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

Maybe some of them are shareholders!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
The real outrage would be that the police and prosecuting authorities would even consider pursuing such a trivial and, in my view, likely unsuccessful case.
Reminds me of the prosecution of a woman who found a Fiver in a store on the floor and kept it!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kaka
if alcohol is suitable for the lounge i dont quite see why same alcohol is not permitted on the flight which is a continuation of the lounge service.

if it is about what an airline should profit from BOB vs what a pax can do to deprive of said airline's profit on BOB, i stand by the latter.

this is where i draw the line (i know its a fuzzy line and ymmv anyways) - as long as you consume it within the service of the airline i dont see why not can one take from the lounge. this is different with the blokes who loaded 40 cans a few weeks ago.
Back in the day when airlines provided a selection of magazines on board, I would sometimes take a magazine that I was reading with me and continue reading it in the lounge or on my next flight. My reasoning was that as long as it stayed within the airline's network (and didn't contribute to a major movement in one direction) I
wasn't stealing.

ADDED: I can sympathize with someone who has just taken some F&B in a lounge only to discover that one must unexpectedly go immediately to the gate. In such cases, it seems better to take the stuff as it cannot be recycled to another passenger and it's better to avoid wasting food.

OTOH in some jurisdictions, alcohol cannot legally be removed from the venue/licensing unit, so taking it jeopardizes the lounge's ability to continue offering adult beverages.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 18, 2017 at 4:55 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I find it surprising people try to defend this behaviour. Not sure how a Daily Mail story would make the theft any less illegal.

"Greedy businessman steals beer from lounge whilst travelling on a freebie"
Please tell me how this is illegal because I really don't think it is. I am not saying it's right, but I don't see it being illegal. Maybe we do need a case before the courts so the judge can decide whether it is legal or not and see which one of us is right!

Do you really think the prosecution will have enough of a case to win against someone taking a few cans of 'free' lounge drinks?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Please, no more protracted on-thread arguments.

We've had enough already!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Mind you, beer on tap would probably be deemed an improvement
I think so. I'd like to see the lounges replace bottled water with filtered water - still and sparkling - on tap too. It could reduce "shrinkage," and free up some space.
dougzz likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
I think so. I'd like to see the lounges replace bottled water with filtered water - still and sparkling - on tap too.
Bottled water such a waste in so many ways.
jib71 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:14 am

Only 6 cans? I'm disappointed. Surely there's room in that bag for a bottom layer of 6, and three more under those three on the left. That's 15 cans, which is probably a reasonable supply for the flight.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by muscat
Only 6 cans? I'm disappointed. Surely there's room in that bag for a bottom layer of 6, and three more under those three on the left. That's 15 cans, which is probably a reasonable supply for the flight.

You can't see the other 12 underneath

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.