Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 cans of beer - Lounge theft? (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
What i find worst of all is that someone feels the need to play BA lounge police and go to the effort of posting this. Do you have nothing better to do? All i see is a picture of some cans of beer in a bag. I wonder how Mathew Acreman would feel about such defamatory accusations being made about him.
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
It must be the case that all of these instances of lounge theft have no discernible impact on BA's bottom line - in the sense that they have a negligible impact on recorded lounge consumption. If it was otherwise, I'm sure BA would have taken steps to do something about it. Presumably, even the cost of printing out those signs that tell you to consume food and drink in the lounges isn't worth the effort on the basis of the data available. Above and beyond this, everything else is just standard flyertalk moralism.
Exactly this. BA makes hundreds of millions a year and will have priced in to their model a certain level of 'take away' activity. As they are the operators of the lounge why not leave them to manage the situation?

I don't know what's more tedious, the people who take stuff away or the busy-bodies who seem to lurk around lounges reporting back on such things.

Last edited by simons1; Sep 18, 2017 at 1:52 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HilFly
Maybe they did know what it was about, but we don't.
We do. The guy is or his friends/acquaintances (or whoever else he is associated with) are keen Heineken drinker and the photo is an admission of such.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Quick! Call the Police!
Look this may be stingy/tacky/not classy, whatever you want to call it, but it is not theft. The goods in the lounge are not for sale, and access is only to the 'privileged few', as simple as that.
Please let me know if someone actually gets charged with theft as a result of liberating stuff from the lounge they have access to!

What BA can do is ban them from the lounge or even remove their Executive Club status.

But please stop calling it theft.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:29 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Quick! Call the Police!
Look this may be stingy/tacky/not classy, whatever you want to call it, but it is not theft. The goods in the lounge are not for sale, and access is only to the 'privileged few', as simple as that.
Please let me know if someone actually gets charged with theft as a result of liberating stuff from the lounge they have access to!

What BA can do is ban them from the lounge or even remove their Executive Club status.

Out of curiosity, are there signs up which state that Lounge items are solely for consumption within the lounge?

M
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Out of curiosity, are there signs up which state that Lounge items are solely for consumption within the lounge?

M
I haven't seen any when I was in the BA lounge.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Was sat in a very busy lounge in Belfast last night, waiting for the BA1421 at 20:05

Was very obvious who was sitting in ET as when they anounced flight was ready for boarding there was quite a rush to the goodies area where bags of crisps, sandwiches, cans of soft drinks and beer were gathered up and squirreled away in bags
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
If said person had come in, drunk 6 cans and left, would anyone have posted concerns? Absolutely not.

The only point I'd be even vaguely concerned is if someone turned up, put a bunch of unopened bottles of wine in their bag and walked out with all the wine for everyone else.

Otherwise, who cares?

Personally I dont take drinks, but do take the odd bottle of water or fruit with me from the lounge in case of delay, or to snack on when I get to my destination. Should I report to the police to confess my crimes?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:52 am

In the BoB thread there are many comments along the lines of "status holders should be given free food and drink". Well there you go. Taking stuff from the lounge saves the crew time; not only do they not need to work out where all the status holders are sitting, but they don't need to worry about stocking up for them or spend time asking what they want.

It's win win!

It'd be an even bigger win if they'd stolen the Cornish pale ale instead of the Heineken.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mario
I have to admit that the thought of saying "Get a life" to everyone so upset about this springs to mind.

Is it tacky? Yes.

But it's not my problem. And I doubt that BA wants to "tackle" the problem - they have much more to lose if they decided to upset a relatively high value customer (assumption here) over £5 of beer, biscuits, crisps, whatever.

​​​​​​
It will be your problem if BA decides to stop the self-pour bar and replace it with a tended bar, they could even introduce coupons - then you'll have to stand in line and wait to get your drink.

Quick! Call the Police!

Why? The Theft Act appears to cover such an instance.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It will be your problem if BA decides to stop the self-pour bar and replace it with a tended bar, they could even introduce coupons - then you'll have to stand in line and wait to get your drink.

Why? The Theft Act appears to cover such an instance.
I'd love to see a person actually prosecuted 'under the theft act' for taking beers out of a lounge. Daily Mail no doubt would be all over the story:

'First BA takes away free food, now it starts prosecuting passengers using their lounges for theft for taking away free food!'
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
Yes, here is one I spotted at MAN last weekend.
Attached Images  
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, here is one I spotted at MAN last weekend.
Are there any at LHR?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Are there any at LHR?
No idea about GC/GF. There wouldn't be any in the CCR. Why don't you check next time you are there?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
No idea about GC/GF. There wouldn't be any in the CCR. Why don't you check next time you are there?
I didn't notice any last time I was in GC, if it was obvious I would have noticed.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I'd love to see a person actually prosecuted 'under the theft act' for taking beers out of a lounge. Daily Mail no doubt would be all over the story:

'First BA takes away free food, now it starts prosecuting passengers using their lounges for theft for taking away free food!'
I find it surprising people try to defend this behaviour. Not sure how a Daily Mail story would make the theft any less illegal.

"Greedy businessman steals beer from lounge whilst travelling on a freebie"

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Sep 18, 2017 at 3:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.