New automatic push back

Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by paul78
The OP says "new" but back in 2010, I had a few internal flights in Oz between MEL, SYD and BNE...and these remote control push back tugs were pretty much the norm.
I have seen remote controlled push back for Air New Zealand domestic as far back as 2004. Was pretty impressed back then. But never thought more about it.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Looks great.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm assuming the tug automatically recharges when it reaches its 'base station' in-between tasks.

As the owner of an all-electric car and a robot vacuum cleaner, I'm very conscious that battery charge has to be monitored carefully. At least our vacuum cleaner automatically heads for its charging dock when it's tired: I have to keep an eye on the car's battery level.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider

Automation at T5 will continue to advance until there are very few human staff at all.
Hooray. Maybe computers will do a better job than humans at locating my missing item of checked-in luggage (16 days and counting - BA397 BRU LHR 01SEP17).
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In spite of what some of the manufacturers would have us believe fully automated cars are a very long way off. I am sure it will happen but it will be at least a decade IMO. The complexities to be able to cope safely with all possible scenarios on the public roads are huge and then also the legal, liability and insurance aspects are a big obstacle too.

Nothing is insurmountable but IMO it will take many years before the public will accept it. It took ages to accept driverless trains but they are mostly accepted now but cars are a completely different kettle of fish
T8191, PJSMITH0 and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Curious to learn a few more details. How is unit powered/charged ? How is it driven - does the operator walk alongside the plane in headset contact with the flight deck whilst operating a remote control console at the same time ?
If you follow the link posted above it looks like this is controlled by a console type device worn over the operators neck. They also walk alongside the aircraft and are probably in contact with the flight deck, much as they do today.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester
Once we get used to autonomous cars won't be long before they get rid of pilots (technology is all there ready and waiting). I wonder what we will all do with the time we will all have.
I cant see pilots being removed from planes at any time.

Also a side note lorries and cars either.

Security for starters and who takes responsibility for the plane or car etc.

Thanks for posting about this new robot.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
In spite of what some of the manufacturers would have us believe fully automated cars are a very long way off.
Are you sure?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/13/...-elaine-aicon/
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by JasperT
Well... like you, I don't have a crystal ball

However, when I consider the complexity of the task... being able to cope safely and sympathetically towards other road users in every possible road scenario... pedestrians, accidents and diversions, roadworks (with their rather creative signing!) not to mention the other cars, then I feel that the manufacturers are being hopelessly optimistic with the time frames.

There also has to be many changes to road law along with an agreement over liability when accidents occur through the car industry, insurance, government, certification, maintenance... it is a legal nightmare... not insurmountable I am sure... but in 2 years? Not likely is it really.

I have had an electric car for 6 years and still the industry nor government has agreed on the simple matter of a charging standard or on a public charging infrastructure. 5 years ago we in the EV community, along with the manufacturers if they were to be believed, said that by now the majority of cars being sold would be electric. It didn't happen and will not happen for many years to come. I see full automation as even more of a nightmare to resolve than that by orders of magnitude.

Then there is is issue of public acceptance. Until this technology has been totally proven as safe in all situations, and for some time, I wouldn't want to share road space with fully automated vehicles. Eventually I am sure they will be better than human drivers but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge before we get to that stage IMO.

Partial automation is already happening. Auto parking, lane following, speed management, very basic collision avoidance etc. But all this tech, wonderful as it is, cannot just be strung together to make a fully automated system. They will continue to require a human driver to make them work effectively. They make driving easier and safer, like an elaborate cruise control, but not automatic.

So no... I have no more of an insight than anyone else but I am convinced that full automation, on the public roads, is a long way off yet.
origin and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
At the moment there is a driver and a ground handler. No driver required so a saving of one.
These have been in use for several weeks already on 501-503 following several trials over the past year. There is only one operator required.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
It took ages to accept driverless trains but they are mostly accepted now
You obviously aren't a member of the RMT
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:23 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Forget these!

Bring in Sir Kill-a-lot, Sergeant Bash, and Shunt!

M
Pascoe likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You obviously aren't a member of the RMT

Indeed... but I did mean by the public.

I was never a member of the RMT but I was a member of ASLEF when I was a driver on the Underground many moons ago
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
Watching the litter fella right now from Nero, looks like one of those things we should have been doing years ago.

Must have some decent batteries on it too. @:-)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by thejohn
My problem with Automation as a whole means job losses and fewer jobs that equals fewer people earning money. There will be no disposable or any income. This in turn pressures the government due to loss of income from taxes etc, the benefits system will face a increase in demand as more people are unemployed. The worst case scenario is everything is automated and the only employed people will be the maintenance engineers and the business owners with no one to sell their product too and would collapse the business. And if just focusing on a Airline the tug drivers, pilots, checkin staff etc will not support their local economies and the domino effect will crush the life out of the country. Sorry that's a bit deep but possible.
John
Conversely, this is providing a high-tech job in the machine-design industry, manufacturing jobs building the machines, and maintenance jobs in servicing them. Many higher paid than a ramp agent. Which means more disposable income floating around the economy, which means more people can afford to fly, which means more airport infrastructure is required, which itself creates more jobs.

Which of these is right? No one (yet) knows. But it's not as simple as saying 'a head gone is a job lost' - that's union-speak for 'I demand the right to do the same job forever, regardless of advances elsewhere'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.