Wiki Posts
Search

Bordeaux Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver
Bordeaux Lounge

Travelling on the BA2789 last night, got to the lounge and refused access as I wasn't travelling with Iberia ? I have a silver card am I being thick in thinking I was allowed access, website seemed to me to say I was allowed?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I thought it was a 3rd party lounge which BA doesn't have an access agreement. I did get some light refreshment vouchers last time I flew from BOD
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, the old BOD lounge was up (down?) there with Almaty in terms of notoriety on this forum. Then BOD upgraded to a very nice lounge, bumped up the lounge entry fee and BA refused to pay it - though Iberia has fewer qualms. Vouchers are available at check in instead.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
iamorgan is correct. There is a 3rd party lounge at BOD. Normal oneworld lounge access rules do not apply.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...eaccess/BOD/-1

BA does not contract with the lounge to allow those flying BA to use the lounge. IB does contract with the lounge to provide access for those flying IB.
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19761430-post13.html
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
The old BOD lounge was truly awful with every prospect of no seat, no food and no drinks at busy times.

It suffered from a self-service admittance arrangement which was much abused, in my experience by BA passengers guesting in vast numbers who clearly enjoyed no right to be there.

This was then resolved with a more secure entry arrangement, although the quality of the lounge offer remained poor.

BA were one of the main customers. I would suggest someone is asking too much for what is still a poor lounge. Vouchers are a much better proposition.

I can be critical of BA where lounge access is highly desirable and not arranged. In this case, if the operator is being an idiot, I have a lot of sympathy with BA's stance.

I also don't think the OP was entitled to vouchers. Lounge access is an advertised benefit of CE and therefore compensation via vouchers is appropriate. For status passengers the option is to use a lounge if there is one; if there isn't - tough.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:30 pm

'In this case, if the operator is being an idiot, I have a lot of sympathy with BA's stance.'

I don't. My expectation - if I'm flying CE or flying economy with status - is a universal experience. If there's no lounge, then fine. But if other airlines have managed to successfully negotiate use of the only lounge at an airport, and BA has not been able to, for whatever reason, then BA's stance is not one I have sympathy for at all. Especially, in this case, when its sister company has been able to.

Last edited by abitwild; Sep 26, 2017 at 3:01 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Seems odd that IAG doesn't have a central procurement function that negotiates deals for the group. You'd think having one department with bigger purchasing volume instead of two smaller ones would save them a fair bit of money.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

I think my main confusion was that Iberia seemingly allows its customers in but BA who are part of the same group do not. I have to admit it may well of been an oversight from myself to think that BOD airport would of had a lounge I was eligible to use, however lesson learned now.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Horrible airport. I didn't know about the lack of lounge access and as I was HBO I simply went straight through security and up to the lounge- only to be refused. So I didn't even receive any vouchers, because I would have needed to go to check in first. Crap experience.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Horrible airport. Crap experience.
Even worse if you are on easyJet, it's a corrugated iron shed reminiscent of a meat market, crowded, noisy and chaotic.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:28 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Horrible airport. I didn't know about the lack of lounge access and as I was HBO I simply went straight through security and up to the lounge- only to be refused. So I didn't even receive any vouchers, because I would have needed to go to check in first. Crap experience.
So true. If BA stopped handing out vouchers I would not blame them. The git running that caff before security was robbing them blind. I had a run-in there last February which was worthy of a TFTG.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
Even worse if you are on easyJet, it's a corrugated iron shed reminiscent of a meat market, crowded, noisy and chaotic.
As Ryanair fly there direct from EDI I have had many experiences of that horrible shed. In June there was a 90 minute queue at passport control on arrival in a shed with no aircon. A few pax fainted in the heat.
Nimrod1965 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE

BA replied to my email today and stated that all BA Silver and Gold card holders and club Europe passengers are now entitled to lounge access in BOD.They also will now be investigating why it hasn't been happening.... so who knows !
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Safc0615
UPDATE

BA replied to my email today and stated that all BA Silver and Gold card holders and club Europe passengers are now entitled to lounge access in BOD.They also will now be investigating why it hasn't been happening.... so who knows !
Very interesting! Thanks for reporting back. It may be a mistake but any further reports on the ground would be very useful. Previously the lounge closed before BA's late service, but the airport's website says that the lounge is open to 23:00 hrs, which is the time of the late departure for LGW.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by abitwild
'In this case, if the operator is being an idiot, I have a lot of sympathy with BA's stance.'

I don't. My expectation - if I'm flying CE or flying economy with status - is a universal experience. If there's no lounge, then fine. But if other airliners have managed to successfully negotiate use of the only lounge at an airport, and BA has not been able to, for whatever reason, then BA's stance is not one I have sympathy for at all. Especially, in this case, when its sister company has been able to.
Fine as long as you are prepared to pay the extra costs when they are loaded into the ticket price, unless of course your work pays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.