Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747s to Austin from Summer 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
New 787 versus a clapped out 52J with old IFE jumbo, sounds like a downgrade on passenger experience to me.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
New 787 versus a clapped out 52J with old IFE jumbo, sounds like a downgrade on passenger experience to me.
Personally I'll take 747/63B on the UD, with my Kindle and wife for company, any day.

Not flown the 'plastic tube' in J yet, but I suspect it's the same old seat in a differently-crowded cabin
BAW845_Matt and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:32 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by T8191
My initial enhusiasm was abated when I read on Wiki that AUS is severely anti-smoking

Oh, well, back to searching other places to go.
You should try the tobacco states where there are not any smoking bans certainly Tennessee allowed smoking indoors and out the last time I was there
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
You should try the tobacco states where there are not any smoking bans certainly Tennessee allowed smoking indoors and out the last time I was there
Besides, I can tell for a fact that there is plenty of herbal smoking going on in the Austin vicinity, doubtless all organically grown. Not quite as bad as The Castro, but nearly.
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
It definitely is. 52J's coach seats are literally decades old worn out sofas. Plus, a bunch of cabin lights weren't working last time I flew on one. And the old TV screens have such a bad glare when the cabin is dark, making it near impossible to sleep.

Not to mention the lack of power outlets.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by a330boston
Not to mention the lack of power outlets.
Ah yes, the 15 volt Empower socket may well cause some serious beard scratching with our youthful hipsters in WTP.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
My initial enhusiasm was abated when I read on Wiki that AUS is severely anti-smoking

Oh, well, back to searching other places to go.
How bout this: Don't smoke

Save yourself and the environment
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Impressive route growth (and to fend off Norwegian?). 747s takeover the daily flight to Austin.

Visible in the schedules already, and from this 747 pilot.

This 747 pilot

Looks to be all mid-J at first glance, but hello upper deck seats!
How much longer does it take to fuel a 747? Are there enough fuel trucks in AUS?

I remember being delayed on one of the first 777 flights from AUS because, according to the captain, the fuel truck had to go back and refill itself.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by ChrL
How much longer does it take to fuel a 747? Are there enough fuel trucks in AUS?

I remember being delayed on one of the first 777 flights from AUS because, according to the captain, the fuel truck had to go back and refill itself.
It takes about 50 mins to fully fuel,so for Austin about 35 mins.

I have seen 9 fuel trucks filling a 747 in Gassim Saudi Arabia.There were 4 one side and 5 the other,all plugged into each other,and the last 2 filling the aircraft.The smallest was like a 3 wheeled milk float with a tiny tank on the back.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: BA, KLM
Ah - just started another post about this - is the 747 just on this route for Summer or year round now?

Was going to use companion tickets for F on the 787-9 but not so keen to use it on a 747
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
........If one ever ceases to be amazed about how 747s have had revolutionary effect on air travel for ordinary travellers, even to this day it is the aircraft of choice when you have people and freight combined.
Or just people.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, OneWorld, Marriott, Hilton
I flew BA 191 LHR to AUS on the 787-9 yesterday and I loved it. Definitely noticed feeling less tired after 10 hours than on other aircraft. Loved the windows, loved the smooth ride (we got up to at least 40,000 feet for a large part of the trip) and loved being on a modern aircraft. For me one of the attractive features of the BA non-stop was the fact that it was a 787. The 747-400 will always have a soft spot in my heart but frankly it's time has come and gone. It has been all but phased out in the US now. Also, some of the BA 747s are looking very tired and it is not clear if the planes operating LHR-AUS will have had the refit. At least the 787 returns for the winter months looking at the timetable. For me this is not an upgrade it's a major downgrade. I will probably go back to flying via DFW on American (77W) to get planes built in this century with decent seats and IFE and frankly a much nicer ride and all around passenger experience. If BA had 747-8's this would be exciting but for me the -400 does not get me excited at all.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Resurrecting an old post here, but I flew the 744 in early October. AUS-LHR was on an older setup...tiny IFE screens and no WiFi. The reverse was on one with newer IFE and (spotty) WiFi. I was actually fine with both, but haven't been on a 787 to compare. Plane wasn't terribly full in either direction though.

Does appear that they're using the 744 for cargo capacity a bit; 60% of belly freight in December for AUS was handled by BA, with the number hovering between 50 and 60% for the past few months.

It does look like the Dreamliner won't be coming back to Austin on BA though; low-season traffic is now being handled by a 777, appearently with the new 3-4-3 layout in Y.

Due to route competition and plane sizing, AUS-LHR pricing isn't bad at all in Economy. Yes, it's quite a bit above Norwegian but $530 round-trip ain't bad even if it is basic economy.

Hopefully demand is strong enough to get the 744 flying more often, but low enough that fares stay not-too-far-away from Norwegian's
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by iansltx
Resurrecting an old post here, but I flew the 744 in early October. AUS-LHR was on an older setup...tiny IFE screens and no WiFi. The reverse was on one with newer IFE and (spotty) WiFi. I was actually fine with both, but haven't been on a 787 to compare. Plane wasn't terribly full in either direction though.

Does appear that they're using the 744 for cargo capacity a bit; 60% of belly freight in December for AUS was handled by BA, with the number hovering between 50 and 60% for the past few months.
May I ask from where you are sourcing these very interesting statistics? Is the source generally accessible, and does it cover only AUS traffic?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by djbenedict
May I ask from where you are sourcing these very interesting statistics? Is the source generally accessible, and does it cover only AUS traffic?
Airport Activity Reports - Passenger & Air Cargo Traffic | Austin-Bergstrom International Airport | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin
djbenedict likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.