Search

Silver member + companion... Allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Silver member + companion... Allowance?

I know as Silver travelling in WT, one gets 2x32kg..

But I don't know if that privilege extends to my companion travelling on the same PNR with no status? Is he stuck with 23kg?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

But I don't know if that privilege extends to my companion travelling on the same PNR with no status? Is he stuck with 23kg?
Even on one PNR your companion will only get the 23kg allowance (x 2 bags as he's travelling with you as a Silver and on one PNR). Any excess weight between 23 and 32 kgs only applies to the card/status holder)

Additional weight and bags over that and and up to 32kg can be purchased on ba.com or at the airport but the former is wiser I think.

In practice though if your checking in together in my limited experiences they have always been put through with no questions asked but that was several years ago.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
yes! I typed in "BA Silver" into Google to get the answer!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
sorry only 1 x 32k for your companion!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
it's listed on the silver page

checked baggage allowance of two pieces in economy for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares)*

a weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any travel class for everyone on your booking*
the * is for on the same booking.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
it's listed on the silver page

the * is for on the same booking.
Oh wonderful ! Thank you ! Have to take brochures to a trade fair !

I did remember that the companion has the same allowance as the SIL member but couldn't for the life of me find it !

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 13, 2017 at 6:53 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Answer is simple. As you are both on the same PNR ... You both have baggage allowance of 2 * 32 KG.

Go to Manage My Booking, select 1 of the flight segments and then click on the Baggage section. Here it will say 23kg (That is wrong as confirmed with GGL Line), as it is 32Kg

Baggage allowance
Checked baggage per passenger

Adults, young adults and children:

2 bags at 23kg (51lbs)

Maximum bag size: 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16in)

If in doubt call the Silver Line and have them attach a note to your PNR (2 * 32 KG for Silver and companion) so that at checkin you don't have any problems
PETER01 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PETER01
Even on one PNR your companion will only get the 23kg allowance (x 2 bags as he's travelling with you as a Silver and on one PNR). Any excess weight between 23 and 32 kgs only applies to the card/status holder)

Additional weight and bags over that and and up to 32kg can be purchased on ba.com or at the airport but the former is wiser I think.

In practice though if your checking in together in my limited experiences they have always been put through with no questions asked but that was several years ago.
PETER01 ... that statement does not make sense.

Per Silver Benefits

a checked baggage allowance of two pieces in economy for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares)*
a weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any travel class for everyone on your booking*
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Answer is simple. As you are both on the same PNR ... You both have baggage allowance of 2 * 32 KG.

Go to Manage My Booking, select 1 of the flight segments and then click on the Baggage section. Here it will say 23kg (That is wrong as confirmed with GGL Line), as it is 32Kg

Baggage allowance
Checked baggage per passenger

Adults, young adults and children:

2 bags at 23kg (51lbs)

Maximum bag size: 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16in)

If in doubt call the Silver Line and have them attach a note to your PNR (2 * 32 KG for Silver and companion) so that at checkin you don't have any problems
Appears my post may be wrong then? I was going by what the guide stated.

BA Baggage Guide

When a party includes a Gold card holder an additional checked bag applies to all passengers travelling on the same booking. However, the higher weight of 32kg per bag applies only to baggage belonging to the Gold card holder, so the rest of the party will have to ensure the weight of their bags does not exceed 23kg.
I know it gives a Gold example as above but Silver would be the same or maybe I am reading it wrong and it is talking about a 3rd bag

I will PM Prospero as I was going by that so apologies if I gave the wrong info out.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:53 am
Suspended

I will PM Prospero as I was going by that so apologies if I gave the wrong info out.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Appears my post may be wrong then? I was going by what the guide stated.

I think this is a case of BA shifting their advice. I certainly seem to remember a time in the not too distant past where what PETER01 said was true - the extra weight limit only applied to the card holder, whereas the extra bag applied to everyone on the PNR.

Checking BA's "baggage essentials" gives a somewhat ambiguous answer:

Tier Baggage allowance

Gold/oneworld Emerald
One additional checked bag in any travel class
For everyone in your booking, except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares*

A weight allowance of 32kg (70lb) per checked bag

Silver/oneworld Sapphire
A checked baggage allowance of two bags when travelling in economy
For everyone in your booking, except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares*

A weight allowance of 32kg (70lb) per checked bag
...where it isn't clear whether the "for everyone in the booking" applies to the weight as well. But looking at the benefits pages under BAEC would seem to confirm that it is (currently) extra items and higher weight for everyone in the PNR. Might be worth printing out the relevant pages, mind you, in case you're challenged at check-in, since it seems to be quite hard for them to override the computer sometimes.

I note again in passing that this is probably one of the most valuable (in cash terms) benefits that I've had from FF schemes in OW and *A. I must have saved thousands of pounds in courier fees and/or excess baggage charges over the years. And oh how I love having to schlepp 100kgs of books/reports through airport arrivals areas on multiple baggage trolleys!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
I think this is a case of BA shifting their advice. I certainly seem to remember a time in the not too distant past where what PETER01 said was true - the extra weight limit only applied to the card holder, whereas the extra bag applied to everyone on the PNR.
I was going to type something very similar to this. I am sure someone with more patience than me can try the Wayback Machine on that page, but I suspect this is a relatively recent change (and possibly a mistake?) since if I was replying to a newcomer, without checking I would have said "same number of bags, but no weight uplift".
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:09 am

I once had a bit of a telling off before at check in when I left the heavy bag until last and he had to log it against my non-status companion as he'd done the two lighter bags against my name.

So I think if it's changed then it must have recently and be prepared for a bit of a discussion at check in regardless !
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The weight uplift definitely used to be for the status passenger only, while the quantity uplift was for everyone. I particularly remember checking in 2x31kg (very nearly) at DUB and the checkin agent paused, thought about it, and she and I said almost at the same time "the increased weight allowance is for me/you only" as I lifted on the other 2x22kg bags. We had been shopping...

Weight and quantity uplift for all on the itinerary for a lower status level is quite generous of BA. A family holiday led by a silver cardholder could load up a lot of stuff that way.

However the BA website has been saying that the whole party gets the weight uplift since at least May 2016 but was not saying so in 2015, at that point it was only quantity uplift.

Personally, I would be bringing a reference to the web page, especially if checking in anywhere other than LHR. It could be particularly interesting to apply this wording to other carriers downroute on a mixed carrier ticket based on BA being the Most Significant Carrier and controlling the luggage allowance. Battlefield dispatches are welcome

Last edited by flatlander; Sep 13, 2017 at 8:31 am Reason: add timeline
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
I also distinctly remember it being 32kg for cardholder and 2x23kg in Y for others on booking.

From Jan 2016:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160120...age-allowances

Here's the proof. Current version https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances clearly shows it's now for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.