MCT Heathrow

Old Sep 12, 17, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
MCT Heathrow

Hi everyone - I suspect I should know this, but its a donkeys age since I transferred through Heathrow to a BA domestic. I am arriving on BA56 from JHB and want to travel up to MAN to get to Chester. Given they are both T5 departures - whats the minimum time I should leave? (have yet to book LHR-MAN, but have booked JNB-LHR as its part of a bigger itn).
Thanks in advance
TIMP
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you'll have two tickets and two itineraries, it isn't a connection.

Will there be any other segments on the LHR-MAN ticket?
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Will there be any other segments on the LHR-MAN ticket?
A return MAN-LHR about a week later.

IF I link the bookings that should fix it shouldnt it? (I know you can do this on QF with a polite tweet to their service guys followed up with a DM).

Was going to do the train to Euston, then up to Chester - but frankly, arriving at 5amish in the morning is going to be hard enough, let alone trying to find my navigate the london tube at coming into peakhour mojo (I lost it when I left London 15 years ago).
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TIMP View Post
A return MAN-LHR about a week later.

IF I link the bookings that should fix it shouldnt it? (I know you can do this on QF with a polite tweet to their service guys followed up with a DM).

Was going to do the train to Euston, then up to Chester - but frankly, arriving at 5amish in the morning is going to be hard enough, let alone trying to find my navigate the london tube at coming into peakhour mojo (I lost it when I left London 15 years ago).
AFAIK BA won't protect you across multiple itineraries/tickets, even if they're linked.

Ask the folks here who do the exEU fares.
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
HEX to Paddington in 20 mins then a 10 min taxi to Euston.

Straight to Chester on the train much easier than the flight option imho.

Book the train ticket in advance.
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smokie36 View Post
HEX to Paddington in 20 mins then a 10 min taxi to Euston.

Straight to Chester on the train much easier than the flight option imho.

Book the train ticket in advance.
The prices are comparable....might actually end up being the better option. I was trying to get to spend more time with my Goddaughter - but I might have to do the train thing....
Old Sep 13, 17, 12:17 am

Will you have checked luggage?

If so, you'd need to allow enough time to clear immigration, claim your luggage, go up to Departures, check it and clear security. Plus some contingency for possible delay to your incoming flight as BA won't help you on separate bookings.

It's not a pretty situation at all, so you'd probably need to leave at least a couple of hours.
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
MCT, on an academic basis, would be just 1 hour, on one booking, and given the service frequency to Manchester this wouldn't be much of a problem. But as I say, academic, since there is no way of through checking luggage on separate bookings.

You could be a Plus or Club Europe single ticket to Manchester with a generous lag on it, such as 6 hours theoretical minimum connection, and at least 4 hours (just in case you are in EC261 territory with the JNB service). Then you could bring the actually travel forward to an earlier service should everything fall into place. A 2 hour connection, with luggage recheck would be perfectly OK in normal circumstances so you could plan for that service but book for a much later service.
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
MCT, on an academic basis, would be just 1 hour, on one booking, and given the service frequency to Manchester this wouldn't be much of a problem. But as I say, academic, since there is no way of through checking luggage on separate bookings.

You could be a Plus or Club Europe single ticket to Manchester with a generous lag on it, such as 6 hours theoretical minimum connection, and at least 4 hours (just in case you are in EC261 territory with the JNB service). Then you could bring the actually travel forward to an earlier service should everything fall into place. A 2 hour connection, with luggage recheck would be perfectly OK in normal circumstances so you could plan for that service but book for a much later service.
Might he not be risking his breakfast in doing this?
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:55 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
If you were just flying LHR-MAN, how much time would you allow yourself for that flight to check in and clear security? 2 hours? Whatever that number is, I'd add an hour for customs + baggage, and another hour for disembarking and some delay.
Old Sep 13, 17, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smokie36 View Post
Might he not be risking his breakfast in doing this?
SHE doesnt normally do breakfast except coffee...that makes the world go around.
smokie36 and rhivolution like this.
Old Sep 13, 17, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Ironically it now looks like the cheapest way is to hire a car one way to get up there. Generally I would get the people I am visiting to come pick me up, but this is a surprise arrival for a 40th birthday.... should of probably booked the MAN sector when I booked the rest, but I am on a mixed OW ticket, QF to JNB, BA to LHR and then QF via DXB back to SYD and grabbed a cheapie fare when I saw it, prior to plotting with friends hubby for surprise.
Old Sep 14, 17, 3:51 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, Hotels.com Gold
I wouldn't choose to do the LHR-Chester drive if it's a weekday. The traffic up the M6 will be awful (you say you're landing at 5am so by the time you're out of the airport and in the car, it'll be pretty bad timing for the roads). Take the train! You can get on the Piccadilly Line and just sit and watch the world go by, or take the HEX to Paddington and change. You won't hit the crazy-busy time of morning on the tube, though admittedly may well hit peak train fares. Regardless, I would likely opt for the train, even if I had to wait an hour until off-peak times. I hate the M6 with a passion.

Obviously if a car would be useful for the rest of your stay it might change things.

Good luck!

Search this Thread