Advice for travel to Auckland

Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Sorry really don't get your comment about 'sheer boredom of trans pacific' how is it any different to flights via Asia? P
As a kid I used to hate AKL-LHR via LAX (with the refuelling stop in HNL!) as there was absolutely nothing to see out of the windows (unless my dad gave me a Halcion )
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Firipu
NZ via HKG (no longer possible)
Think this is a typo...!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Think this is a typo...!
If you've misunderstood, Firipu correctly meant Air New Zealand no longer fly LHR-HKG-AKL.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
As a kid I used to hate AKL-LHR via LAX (with the refuelling stop in HNL!) as there was absolutely nothing to see out of the windows (unless my dad gave me a Halcion )
Good thing the IFE has improved since then
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
If you've misunderstood, Firipu correctly meant Air New Zealand no longer fly LHR-HKG-AKL.
Apologies, yes - I had forgotten about that (as I never did it!)
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sorry really don't get your comment about 'sheer boredom of trans pacific' how is it any different to flights via Asia? Pretty much all the flights require an final 12-14 hour sector to New Zealand.

The flights ex YVR,SFO,LAX,IAH all depart late afternoon/evening arriving into AKL early morning effectivity being overnight services.
The comment was written in the context of someone starting in Europe, going to NZ, and having the choice of two directions. Going east via Asia the day speeds up the whole way; going west via the Pacific the hours slow down until you need the International Date Line to catch up. The upshot is that if you are from Europe going trans Pacific you are likely to wake up about 3 hour out of LAX you then have a tedious 10 hours, followed by getting clobbered for the next 3 days. Go via LHR-HKG, spend a night there, and you should be fine.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:41 am

Good thing the IFE has improved since then
Oh my - the large screen of which one could (aged 10) see 45% max of the screen!

I still needle my father for feeding me a sleeping pill and thus missing the end of Ferris Beuller's Day Off. Missing the denouement cost me a lot of playground collateral.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
I have been doing the LHR-AKl on and off for 40 years and that trans-pacific Lax to Akl has always been tedious especially in the days when you where thrown off the plane at either PPT or HNL at some ungodly hour for 2-3 hours and the "new flight map" on the big screen spent 8 hour flying towards 'EUA in Tonga and about 4 flying away from it towards NZ.

However if you an alliance agnostic and flying in J, NZ has the best food and the priciest product. Qatar has good seats and service and OK hub in Doha. CX has fine service, ok food and good hub in HKG. Emirates I rank below QR. KE has good food (I love the bibimbap), the fastest flight ex LHR (not on the way back) ok seat, ok hub and fine service. Thai ok service , ok food ok hub. SQ good hub, good food and fine service. BA we all know and China Southern I have never tried. Best value has to be QR esp ex EU/EEA
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
I have been doing the LHR-AKl on and off for 40 years and that trans-pacific Lax to Akl has always been tedious especially in the days when you where thrown off the plane at either PPT or HNL at some ungodly hour for 2-3 hours and the "new flight map" on the big screen spent 8 hour flying towards 'EUA in Tonga and about 4 flying away from it towards NZ.

However if you an alliance agnostic and flying in J, NZ has the best food and the priciest product. Qatar has good seats and service and OK hub in Doha. CX has fine service, ok food and good hub in HKG. Emirates I rank below QR. KE has good food (I love the bibimbap), the fastest flight ex LHR (not on the way back) ok seat, ok hub and fine service. Thai ok service , ok food ok hub. SQ good hub, good food and fine service. BA we all know and China Southern I have never tried. Best value has to be QR esp ex EU/EEA
Where do you rank SQ in this? ^
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
In the antepenultimate sentence!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Where do you rank SQ in this? ^
SQ at the top of the list, Air NZ a close second if we are talking about direct flights into Auckland without a stop in Australia though some SQ flight. SQ is also the most expensive airliner flying out of SEA to Auckland. SQ flight leaves at night if memory serves me correct but excellent airport hotel outside the terminal.

Cathay would be 3rd for me simply because their standards for meals and service has dropped in recent times.

Malaysia Airlines has a daily direct flight to Auckland as well at sensible prices departing in the early morning at 8am if I am not mistaken and it uses the 330 with a new business class seats. MH have a 380 flight from LHR to KUL that lands in the evening. You can check into the airport hotel outside the terminal for a good night's sleep and then hop on the morning flight to Auckland (10 hours).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
In the antepenultimate sentence!
How did I not see that!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have just come up from NZ and am currently in the LHR Hilton T5. Been up since 1. Used a mix of EK and QF (on QF codes and ticket stock though - I am QF platinum). EK 380 seat/beds are by far the comfiest compared to both the EK 777 and QF 330 I also took. Also the foot tunnel is bigger so my feet don't get so hot. The Malaysian 330 seats have a small hot foot tunnel and the seats are somewhat lumpy - I spent last weekend in HKG flying from AKL and back with them.
i do Europe once a year from AKL and however I do it I simply end up wrecked.
and I wish those QR fares were accessible ex-AKL: our cheapest J-fares are easily double.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
...I do Europe once a year from AKL and however I do it I simply end up wrecked.
And I wish those QR fares were accessible ex-AKL: our cheapest J-fares are easily double.
So just do a AKL-Eu on a one ticket. And then Eu-NZ-Eu returns. You would not be first to do that
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So just do a AKL-Eu on a one ticket. And then Eu-NZ-Eu returns. You would not be first to do that
Unfortunately for annual trips that is pushing the edges of the ticket validity period, it's possible but you would have to plan ahead a lot. For several trips each year, it is much more plausible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.