Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelling then reapplying for American Express cards

Old Sep 12, 17, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I cancelled my BA American Express card a while back, and understand I can reapply after six months. Is there a similar timeframe for the gold card? I plan to cancel that before I am charged for it on renewal.
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by londinense View Post
I cancelled my BA American Express card a while back, and understand I can reapply after six months. Is there a similar timeframe for the gold card? I plan to cancel that before I am charged for it on renewal.
It's exactly the same, yes.

But don't forget that the Gold Card has a MR points bonus on renewal that is very handy to collect, and that any refund is pro rata - so very little harm keeping it a few weeks beyond your renewal date.
Old Sep 12, 17, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by ABax View Post
It's exactly the same, yes.

But don't forget that the Gold Card has a MR points bonus on renewal that is very handy to collect, and that any refund is pro rata - so very little harm keeping it a few weeks beyond your renewal date.
I believe you have to hit 15k of spend pa to be entitled to bonus????
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:46 am

I have just taken out the BAPP Amex card and will hit my spending target for the 241 within a few days (before the first statement is produced). If I cancel and reapply in six months to do the same, does that mean I could earn two 241 vouchers within one twelve month period or would it "remember" that I am still in the previous year?
Old Sep 13, 17, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
Originally Posted by hypercrypt View Post
I have just taken out the BAPP Amex card and will hit my spending target for the 241 within a few days (before the first statement is produced). If I cancel and reapply in six months to do the same, does that mean I could earn two 241 vouchers within one twelve month period or would it "remember" that I am still in the previous year?
Sorry, I dont know, but there is a dedicated thread for the BA Amex 2-4-1 here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...iscussion.html

perhaps read the wiki, and re-post this question if its not answered?
Old Sep 13, 17, 3:40 am

Churn Gold now or upgrade?

I have recently taken out the UK American Express Gold Membership Rewards Card. Hit the target, referred my partner (it remains to be seen if that offer is taken up). Meanwhile, Im on the horns of a dilema, do I

1. cash out the earned MRs and wait six months, and apply again for Gold
2. upgrade to Plat now with that offer, take that bonus, then cancel and apply again in about nine months

(Incidentally, the mods might want to move this entire thread to the American Express Membership Rewards forum, a bit OT for BAEC except insofar as were all likely to cash out for Avios)
Old Sep 13, 17, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by memesweeper View Post
I have recently taken out the UK American Express Gold Membership Rewards Card. Hit the target, referred my partner (it remains to be seen if that offer is taken up). Meanwhile, Im on the horns of a dilema, do I

2. upgrade to Plat now with that offer, take that bonus, then cancel and apply again in about nine months

(Incidentally, the mods might want to move this entire thread to the American Express Membership Rewards forum, a bit OT for BAEC except insofar as were all likely to cash out for Avios)
I'd go for Plat. Comes with additional benefits such as status in several hotel programs that outlast the cancellation. It's also another 20,000 MR for less spend than waiting 6 months to churn the gold.
Old Sep 13, 17, 6:58 am

What was the "that offer" in number 2? Did AMEX make you a specific offer re. upgrading? From what I've read, you don't get the normal plat signup bonus when upgrading from gold, but sometimes people get a lower bonus (apparently hit+miss).

I ask not to be picky but because I too have a gold card that I'm mulling whether to upgrade to plat or to churn :-)
Old Sep 13, 17, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by technical_bob View Post
What was the "that offer" in number 2? Did AMEX make you a specific offer re. upgrading?
See here from amex web site https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...harge/upgrade/
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Yup , that looks decent... :-) I actually thought it was 10k for upgrade.
Old Sep 13, 17, 9:28 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I'd always thought that the Platinum upgrade offer was specifically from Gold, but looking at the link above I can't see anything that says "from Gold". Does anyone know whether you could use it to upgrade from the "Rewards Credit Card", which hubby has at the moment to keep his MR points alive.
Old Oct 16, 17, 6:54 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
With regards to the 6 months in-between applications, does this equate to an exact 183 days? I have quite a large amount of spend to put on a card and would ideally like to take advantage of the card.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 16, 17, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL; IHG Spire; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*; Starbucks Gold!
Originally Posted by the_seeker1977 View Post
With regards to the 6 months in-between applications, does this equate to an exact 183 days? I have quite a large amount of spend to put on a card and would ideally like to take advantage of the card.

Thanks in advance
With the BA Blue this year, I cancelled on 12-Feb and reapplied on 14-Aug, and received the sign-up bonus this month after 1k spend.
Old Oct 16, 17, 10:17 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
With the BA Blue this year, I cancelled on 12-Feb and reapplied on 14-Aug, and received the sign-up bonus this month after 1k spend.
Many thanks - i'll do the same.
Old Oct 16, 17, 10:24 am
dsf

It would only be 9 months if you took the full 3 months to reach the 1k target, right?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: