Search

One Way Ticket into London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hotels.com Gold, BA Exec, 1M Green Sheild Stamps
One Way Ticket into London

Hi

I am looking to purchase a couple of one way tickets with BA (City Flyer) from PRG into LCY.

When I do a search it insists on quoting me in the local currency - question is, when I pay on my BA Amex will it charge me in Sterling? I don't really want the foreign currency charges adding on if I can help it.

Thanks for your help

DanAirLondon ^
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If you book online, you'll be billed in the currency you see.

Your options are either a travel agent booking (which brings its own issues in the event of pre-travel changes, etc.) or to phone up and pay a booking fee. (Or get a fee-free foreign currency card).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If you book on ba.com, the charge will be made in the currency that's quoted (CZK, presumably) so you will pay your credit card's foreign currency charge.

You could avoid that by phoning BA in the UK to book - the agent should be able to charge you in GBP. But then you'd have to pay the offline booking fee, which may be much more than the ~3% foreign currency fee on the CZK charge.

Or you could try to find a UK travel agent that will book and charge you in GBP. But then you may have to pay the agent's fee, which could again be more than the credit card's foreign currency fee.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DanAirLondon
Hi

I am looking to purchase a couple of one way tickets with BA (City Flyer) from PRG into LCY.

When I do a search it insists on quoting me in the local currency - question is, when I pay on my BA Amex will it charge me in Sterling? I don't really want the foreign currency charges adding on if I can help it.

Thanks for your help

DanAirLondon ^
BA.com will typically charge you in the local currency or whatever currency BA denominates for that origin. As you note when that gets charged to your card it will be in the foreign currency and Amex will apply their exchange rates and charges to convert it to £.

If you want to be charged in £ so that the charge to your card is not in a foreign currency you would have to call to book it. I have found when making bookings on the phone with BA they will default to quoting and charging me in £. Unfortunately I think you would be charged the offline booking fee if you call to book.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the info.

Very helpful as always.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Options for me are pay on Lloyds Amex with 0% overseas transactions, or

Pay on BA Amex and get the 3xAvios/£ bonus.

With me trying to accumulate Avios for a trip in F to NRT, its worth the charge.

Thanks again
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Lloyds Amex will give you 1.25 avios/£.

BA will give you 3 (so a net gain of 1.75) but then will charge you roughly 3%. So you gain 1.75 avios for 3p, meaning you need to get 1.71p of value per avios.

Personally, I'd be using the Lloyds card but if you'd be prepared to pay £4k for an F flight to Japan (cash in lieu of avios, as opposed to splashing 240k avios), then the BA card would make more sense.
DanAirLondon likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:12 am

Try Amextravel.co.uk. They don't charge a booking fee and you pay in £ with no commission. However for shorthaul you didn't use to get HBO fares on Amextravel, haven't checked if that's changed since they were recently made non-public.
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Its a difficult one, I am appalling at working out the value of Avios (I have tried reading the write up)

I currently stand @ approx 105k Avios - looking to purchase a minimum of an Outbound F and return J to NRJ in 2019 with the Amex 2-4-1.

I am going to have to purchase some Avios when I purchase so I think trying to get as much Avios as I can now the better.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
It's important to bear in mind that whether you're paying in local currency and getting Amex to do the FX, or paying on the phone with BA, that somewhere along the line there is going to be an FX discrepancy.

(What I mean is, BA will be using an internal exchange rate to charge you - this might or not be better than the Amex exchange rate inc. the 3%)

I don't know how much this difference would be but I'd expect it's worth double-checking before one assumes the 3% Amex charge is automatically terrible.
DanAirLondon likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by NeverFirst

(What I mean is, BA will be using an internal exchange rate to charge you - this might or not be better than the Amex exchange rate inc. the 3%)
BA will be using the official IATA exchange rate which is updated daily, not some random internal exchange rate they have made up for their benefit.
Cymro, KARFA, DanAirLondon and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Airprox
BA will be using the official IATA exchange rate which is updated daily, not some random internal exchange rate they have made up for their benefit.
Indeed, and it is likely to be better than the start point than whatever the credit card company uses, to then add the 3% uplift. So it is worth calculating the booking fee through to see if it is worth doing. This isn't guaranteed, but it seems that ticketing agents at LHR don't always collect the £15 fee there, so long as you butter them up a bit.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:30 am

I use a Revolut prepay card for this sort of thing- can immediately top up from my debit card and no FX fees while keeping to the mastercard rate
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Airprox
Oooh, thanks. Every day is a school day (etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.