Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Reward not necessary- booked onto revenue and back to LHR suits me
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Reward not necessary- booked onto revenue and back to LHR suits me
Even better -- so you'll also be earning Avios/TPs that you wouldn't have otherwise. What a great outcome.

Kind of wishing I'd pursued mine now...!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Even better -- so you'll also be earning Avios/TPs that you wouldn't have otherwise. What a great outcome.
You probably wouldn't. They are often sent to revman to release the seat in the correct cabin code a few days later (at which point you will need to reselect your seat/meals).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm expecting to get only WT+ points..
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by hearingdouble

Kind of wishing I'd pursued mine now...!
Worth waiting till the end - often, BA will ask RM to release award seats and transform the code. At least that is the theoretical procedure.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
Under 2 hours, it's change free of charge ± 2 days. Over 2 hours, it's ± 14 days or a refund. Policy.
Schedule change over 2 hours would still only be able to be rebooked +/- 2 days or you could get a refund.

For a cancelled flight you can be rebooked 3 days before or 14 days after the original flight date.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anonba
Schedule change over 2 hours would still only be able to be rebooked +/- 2 days or you could get a refund..
This is interesting. I've never had an option of a refund, and asked, and turned down, when the move was well over three hours.

Is this policy widely followed or are agents not aware ?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This is interesting. I've never had an option of a refund, and asked, and turned down, when the move was well over three hours.

Is this policy widely followed or are agents not aware ?
The conditions of carriage state (10b1) that a refund can be made when BA "make a significant change to a flight time which is not acceptable to you". Significant change is not specified, but BA traditionally take 2 hours as fulfilling that criteria so an agent should be able to OK that. The next clause specifically says a refund is also available if BA "delay a flight by five hours or more". There are cases were you could argue for a refund on changes under 2 hours, on the basis that significant could be a shorter period for some individuals, but that would have to be escalated (and presumably the passenger's rational would open to challenge).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Long time lurker but first time poster - be kind!

I have a connection via Heathrow and both flights have moved by about 10 mins, taking me from a 1h 30 connection to 1h 10. It's above minimum connection but I would never have booked that tight a connection.

It's a first flight domestic to a transatlantic, CW cash booking upgraded with Avios to F. Even if all goes well we won't have time for breakfast in Concorde Room.

I thought I would be out of luck but reading this thread I wonder if there is scope to request a change, ideally so I fly down previous evening, overnight at Heathrow and get the same transatlantic.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by BobServant

I have a connection via Heathrow and both flights have moved by about 10 mins, taking me from a 1h 30 connection to 1h 10. It's above minimum connection but I would never have booked that tight a connection.

It's a first flight domestic to a transatlantic, CW cash booking upgraded with Avios to F. Even if all goes well we won't have time for breakfast in Concorde Room.

I thought I would be out of luck but reading this thread I wonder if there is scope to request a change, ideally so I fly down previous evening, overnight at Heathrow and get the same transatlantic.
For Domestic --> International within T5 you will easily make the 1hr 10min connection, provided your domestic runs roughly to time.

I wouldn't be changing this itinerary, which would mean spending more time in an airport.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:31 pm

I had a similar situation a couple of months ago, albeit not in first but club Europe. Schedule changes reduced my connecting time from 2 hours 45 mins to 1 hours 20 mins. I know that's plenty of time but I booked a longer connection because I like plenty of time and it was to be my husband's first visit to the lounge.

I called the Executive Club and politely explained. It was no problem at all, they were happy to move us to any EDI/LHR flight that day to connect. We choose one an hour earlier. Turned out to be the right choice, as on the day the flight we had been originally booked was 45 mins late into T5 and the connection left from B gates. We may still have made it but there would have been a lot of rushing and no time in the lounge.

Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I also wouldn't change this connection, unless there was some really bad implication from missing the the longhaul, so that depends on the route and what happens on arrival. The difference between a 1 hr 30 connection arriving a little late and a 1 hr 10 connection arriving a little early is not material in the LHR context, and both are very easily do-able.

However to answer your question, yes you should be able to shift this, the only aspect about going down the night before is that APD on domestic + longhaul is not based on 24 hours (as it is for longhaul + longhaul) so at some point there may be a tax repricing depending on the exact times. But if it's the last EDI/NCL/MAN etc of the evening then you should be OK.

But welcome to Flyertalk BobServant, and welcome to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, and I hope very much that you can stay with us on the forum.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thank you for the welcome and input.

I know 1h 10 is on a good day perfectly adequaete but it's December so some risk of winter weather. We are on the first Edinburgh flight (BA1435), connecting onto JFK so on-time performance is usually pretty good and it's not like there is only one flight a day to NYC if we don't connect as planned.

As things stand we have an 0500 start with a bit of connection angst. if I can change to night before it's an 0730 rise at the Sofitel and a leisurely breakfast in CCR then onto New York. We are still new to this premium flying game so there's a lot of pleasure to be had in this.

I think I will call and see if I can change for free but won't fret too much if I can't.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
You can change it +/- two days.
Does this apply if it's part of a BA holiday?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Under 2 hours, it's change free of charge ± 2 days. Over 2 hours, it's ± 14 days or a refund. Policy.
For a +/- 2 days change, does the new itinerary have to meet original fare requirements?

Last edited by skippythelizard; Sep 18, 2017 at 11:47 am Reason: Removed details a bit too specific

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.