non-stop short haul, 24 hours later..still no bag

Old Sep 11, 17, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Angry non-stop short haul, 24 hours later..still no bag

What has happened to BA's customer service?

They didn't load the bag at FRA for LCY last evening. They claim to have sent it to LHR this morning and given it to a delivery service to bring it to the Intercontinental O2...still not here at 6:00 pm..24 hours later!

LCY staff are apparently all Menzies and not authorized todo anything but say the bag is on the way and will arrive "sometime"..same with BA baggage people at LHR....Baggage delivery company will not even answer the phone.

They will not claim any responsibility for the needed toiletries and such. Nice clothes are needed for the exhibition tomorrow.

Anyone know the reimbursement rules for such an occasion? Does EU261 apply?

Very frustrating.

Last edited by PMMMDL; Sep 11, 17 at 11:55 am Reason: Grammer
Old Sep 11, 17, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can buy necessary items that you need (as opposed to want). That certainly includes bathroom supplies/toiletries, and it can include clothes too. The usual rule is buy what you would have bought if it was your own money, but keep it mid-scale (M&S / Gap area) and reasonable. "No baggage delivered" would be a good reason not to be impressively dressed, I would hope, to most reasonable colleagues and contacts. EC261 does not apply, but your insurance policy may do so. The only time I've seen anyone here get a pushback from BA with out of pocket expenses in this area was when they clearly went over the top. Make sure you keep receipts, and photo them on your phone since they are easily lost.

As for the bag, 2 or 3 days is I'm afraid quite common. All you can do is ensure WorldTracer is up to date, that your hotel concierge is aware of the matter (some of them seem to have good contacts). That's it. No-one else can help, it will take what it takes, your bag is in a mini mountain in LHR and will be cleared eventually onto the courier company. If the baggage people answered the phone to all the hundreds of people without missing bags today, not one of the bags would get delivered, which is why there is WorldTracer. Not the best system around, it has numerous limitations, but just keep up to date there and that's all you can do.

Having said that, it is surprising if FRA could not get a bag through on what I presume was a point to point flight to London City. It's usually connections that cause this problem.
Old Sep 11, 17, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Thanks for the info on worldtracer....didn't know about that. Looked up her file (the gf) and it has the wrong phone number, the wrong home address, and the wrong email address!

It does have the right temporary delivery address.

BA pretty much sucks...can't even load a non stop piece of luggage, can't tell us where it is, and can't even put the contact information into the computer.
Old Sep 11, 17, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Clearly it's important that the contact information is all correct, since that is what the courier company will be looking at, and equally clearly if the courier is trying to get hold of your lady friend it's vital the mobile number is correct, they often use SMS for messages (which is otherwise a good idea). Having said that, stuff does get lost in translation, with the best will in the world. The status of WorldTracer won't necessarily change much until very close to delivery, but it is best to check that than waste energy and frustration elsewhere.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 11, 17 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 11, 17, 1:46 pm

...to all the FTers who bemoan those who take wheeled carry-ons onto the plane... this is why.
Horatio and gingeola like this.
Old Sep 11, 17, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - The concierge at the IC will know both the courier company and the few drivers who have that route. He may well have mobile numbers and may be able to track down your bag with the courier company.

Even if he doesn't BA ought to be able to supply you with the company's name. Armed with that number, a call by you may get the bag to the IC.

While it is BA's responsibility to get the bag to your hotel, once it is with the courier, the best air carrier is stuck with the industry or sloth of the courier.
Old Sep 11, 17, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirBnb 700x Platinum, AC (never again)
Also of note: most AMEX cards have delayed-baggage insurance, and it is quite generous and easy to get reimbursed.

Just ensure you charge all items to the AMEX itself.
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 11, 17, 3:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My partner's bag on TXL-LCY was misrouted to LHR. Wrong boarding pass was also issued (German efficiency isn't quite what it used to be...). According to the lost bag tracking link, the bag made its way all the way to Tunisia before getting back to London via ORY. Seemed hard to believe but it took an entire week to get it back.
Old Sep 11, 17, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
I know this isn't of immediate help to the OP, but there are very good reasons to bring what you need in your hand luggage or to just travel entirely HBO. I know if I had an important event to attend, I'd ensure that I had what I needed on me rather than relying on checked baggage arriving.
Old Sep 12, 17, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
If it makes the OP feel any better I've currently got no fewer than eight(!) checked-in bags that have gone missing - one, out of a total of six, on a BA BRU LHR 01SEP17 flight; seven, out of a total of seven, on an RJ AMM CAI 10SEP17 flight - both flights connecting from QR ex-DOH.

Many thanks to corporate-wage-slave for the WorldTracer information; I'd never heard of the organisation before reading his post.
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
BA didn't load my bag on a (straightforward) LHR-LIN last year. This was the only time my luggage got delayed...However they delivered it to my hotel in Milan the day after

Search this Thread