Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gold benefits for friend on a different booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (OWE) -- FB Platinum -- *A Gold

Hi everyone,

Having booked myself a leisure trip to Istanbul a coupled of months ago, I've been gladly offered by my friend to join me, so we booked her on the exact same dates and flights.
After some reading on ba.com and this forum, I came to realise that it was not possible anymore to merge our bookings, but she could still enjoy my Gold benefits at the airport as a guest (like First Wing and First Galleries access).

However, I would like to select seats for her, and from what I understand it should be possible if I ring BA. So that's what I did and I have been told that I could not book her seat for the outbound as we weren't in the same class of travel (she is in Y and I'm in J); and that for the inbound (we're both in J) I could select a seat for her but not in the first row, so I had to move from 1F further back.
From my understanding, I should be able to select her seat even if she is in economy (as it's stated on BA.com that class of travel doesn't matter as long as we are in the same flight), and I thought the first row was reserved for Gold members only for long-haul, and just 1A & 1F actually (again that's what appears to be stated on ba.com).
I raised my points to the operator and she told me she would raise it to her manager and come back to me within a couple of days.

Just wanted to have your thoughts on that, am I unable to select seats for a friend in the same flight as Gold member?

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The Young Traveller
From my understanding, I should be able to select her seat even if she is in economy (as it's stated on BA.com that class of travel doesn't matter as long as we are in the same flight), and I thought the first row was reserved for Gold members only for long-haul, and just 1A & 1F actually (again that's what appears to be stated on ba.com).
I raised my points to the operator and she told me she would raise it to her manager and come back to me within a couple of days.
I don't think you can choose seats for companions in different cabins on separate bookings. Please can you confirm your source / understanding ?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:44 am

No, to select a seat for someone on a separate booking, you have to be in the same cabin.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC

free seat selection from the time of booking for your whole party on British Airways flights – even friends and family on other bookings, as long as they’re in the same travel class and on the same flight* plus exclusive access to 1A and 1K when travelling in First for the Gold Member only
Source:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../gold-benefits
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The gold benefits page seems clear enough

free seat selection from the time of booking for your whole party on British Airways flights – even friends and family on other bookings, as long as they’re in the same travel class and on the same flight* plus exclusive access to 1A and 1K when travelling in First for the Gold Member only
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
The info you were given is entirely correct in both parts. Row 1 for golds only on shorthaul too is a fairly recent change.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:49 am

Delete ... duplicate information.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The gold benefits page seems clear enough
Ok my mistake for the same class of travel. However, they say Gold members only for First (we are in Club Europe) and for 1A & 1F (I am 1F, wanted her to be in 1D).
Anyway, thanks for your answers
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airprox
The info you were given is entirely correct in both parts. Row 1 for golds only on shorthaul too is a fairly recent change.
Makes sense then. Thanks a lot for the update!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Recently, in the FL I attached a colleague to my PNR, I flew a day before him and we returned together.

I managed to choose seats for the outbound for him (same cabin.... differnt day....)

He was even opuped (as a blue....l) We both were opuped upon the return (TLV) if I was opuped alone he would have gotten my seat. Cause I don't care....)

I assume face to face in a lounge, with the random agent there, with a smile, more can be achieved than over the phone.

Last edited by seaskybound; Sep 11, 2017 at 8:05 am
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Actually, a nice surprise came just now! As I was checking her booking, I've seen that she was assigned 1D for our return flight (which is the seat I have requested for her).
Bit odd that neither her or me have been noticed by email, but thanks BA
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:04 pm

Actually, a nice surprise came just now! As I was checking her booking, I've seen that she was assigned 1D for our return flight (which is the seat I have requested for her).
I don't think they send an email notification for this, but I'm glad it worked out for you!
This 'only golds can be allocated front row seats on short haul' thing is something I've also been told by an agent when trying to TCP/ link a booking. Not sure if it's a new rule? Regardless, my requests have always been honoured as yours was.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by volar
I don't think they send an email notification for this, but I'm glad it worked out for you!
This 'only golds can be allocated front row seats on short haul' thing is something I've also been told by an agent when trying to TCP/ link a booking. Not sure if it's a new rule? Regardless, my requests have always been honoured as yours was.
Regarding non-golds in row 1, see this recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...w-1-golds.html
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Hello, reviving an old thread.
In a BA Holidays booking, we are travelling long haul in the same cabin (Y) on the same flight with a family member who is BAEC Gold who is on a different booking (as different return date). My wonderful BAEC silver runs out the month before the flights and so would like to TCP the bookings to make sure the seat allocations stick. Does anyone know the process for this, is it best to call BAH with us both there at the same time (logistically challenging but can be overcome before the trip) or is there another way?

Also, the other question, the BAEC Gold can reserve exit rows for free for themselves and the 3 others in their party, do you know if this can extend to the TCP booking or just the same seats I can currently reserve for free as BAEC Silver?
Many thanks - Ed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.