TP Run from LHR? - travel buddy required!

Old Sep 11, 17, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Post TP Run from LHR? - travel buddy required!

Hi all,

New to posting (not to reading!), I have just joined FT and am grateful for all the interesting knowledge people are willing to share.

Also new to collecting TPs (started in March 2017) as I've recently started traveling for work, albeit mainly shorthaul to Europe, I've almost reached Bronze (30 points away which I'll get by Monday).

I've been reading about TP Runs and I'm quite interested to get to Silver (Gold is still a massive stretch, I think...but I won't be ashamed to be proven wrong!).

Come January Sale time I think I'll need 500 and wondered what tips anyone can provide in order for me to do so (400 also possible as I should earn 100 during the first half of next year, I'd rather go for more faster though so I enjoy the benefits for longer).

Can anyone shed light on a wealthy run from LHR? Or I can "position" myself elsewhere and carry out the run?

Even better if someone is willing to run together, totally up for a travel companion!

Happy Monday and thanks for reading.

TPRun
Old Sep 11, 17, 12:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. It's great to see new people here and I'm sure you will find it very useful and interesting to stay in touch here. So welcome on board TPRun.

As you seem to know there is a main TP run thread available via the Dashboard, and that's the best source of specific and general information in this area, along with perhaps the Premium Fares thread.

What you may want to do is come along to one of the Do's, the next one is not far off in Leeds. Quite a lof of FTers have developed very meaningful friendships in real life with other people from Flyertalk, self included, and attending a Do is a good way to kick that off. A number of FTers co-ordinate some of their travel with other FTers as a result.
TPRun likes this.
Old Sep 11, 17, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Keep checking the TP run thread, but you're unlikely to get much value starting from LHR (you get the odd quirk of course - CE return to LUX for 72 in the last sale - 80TP)

You'll be better off starting somewhere else in Europe and connecting back throughout Heathrow - I've done it from AMS and DUB previously. Last year I did DUB-LHR-JFK-SEA return for 780 TP (would be 640 now) for around 800 as an example. You can use Avios to book the connecting reward flights, or use them to offset the cost of purchased flights
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the tip and the warm welcome!
I want to say I'm young and new to TP collecting...actually, I think I'm just late to the party and wish I started earlier! Circumstantial I suppose - I've never had a job which makes me travel so much yet.

The Do sounds great! I'm tempted to come, albeit a newbie gatecrashing the party. How often are they / do they happen in London at all?

Thanks
Aman

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. It's great to see new people here and I'm sure you will find it very useful and interesting to stay in touch here. So welcome on board TPRun.

As you seem to know there is a main TP run thread available via the Dashboard, and that's the best source of specific and general information in this area, along with perhaps the Premium Fares thread.

What you may want to do is come along to one of the Do's, the next one is not far off in Leeds. Quite a lof of FTers have developed very meaningful friendships in real life with other people from Flyertalk, self included, and attending a Do is a good way to kick that off. A number of FTers co-ordinate some of their travel with other FTers as a result.
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the top. Maybe I'll have to sort a 'positioning' out and work a TP run from there.

I got lucky with a first class ticket LHR to DEL in Oct on the 787-9 (and my first time on a Dreamliner) although it falls into the wrong side of my TP collection (renews in Nov!).

How long did that TP run take you?

Thanks

Originally Posted by darthlemsip View Post
Keep checking the TP run thread, but you're unlikely to get much value starting from LHR (you get the odd quirk of course - CE return to LUX for 72 in the last sale - 80TP)

You'll be better off starting somewhere else in Europe and connecting back throughout Heathrow - I've done it from AMS and DUB previously. Last year I did DUB-LHR-JFK-SEA return for 780 TP (would be 640 now) for around 800 as an example. You can use Avios to book the connecting reward flights, or use them to offset the cost of purchased flights
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Too good to be true ?

Originally Posted by darthlemsip View Post
(you get the odd quirk of course - CE return to LUX for 72 in the last sale - 80TP)
Would this odd quirk be that the 72 was actually for 40TPs each-way, rather than return ?
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Would this odd quirk be that the 72 was actually for 40TPs each-way, rather than return ?
I was going to ask the same thing - if not, can't believe I missed that one
Old Sep 11, 17, 9:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TPRun View Post
The Do sounds great! I'm tempted to come, albeit a newbie gatecrashing the party. How often are they / do they happen in London at all?
We were all newbies at some point. Every Do seems to be a collection of frequent Do people and new faces, I wouldn't hesitate to come along. There is often a Do in London around Christmas time, or rather just before, though I don't think I've seen a date for this year yet. I change my signature (eventually) to indicate the next Do.
bitgiggy and lostinlondon like this.
Old Sep 11, 17, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TPRun View Post
As someone who's wanted to attend a Do for a while but always seems to be in the wrong place when they're happening, all the responses when they happen seem to be nothing but positive. Perhaps see you at one soon.

Good luck with the TP runs. I've found my intake greatly increase over the last 1.5 years, and have often found that flying with QR and CX* when goImg east is often beneficial (despite the lower Avios accrual) in J with rather attractive prices. I'd try RJ, but I've heard some fairly bad stories with them regarding providing the points owed.

*Not a dig at BA, who I still enjoy flying with. Just seems more recently to have made better financial sense and I'm more inclined than most to give up the extra time for connections in DOH or HKG if I lose out on weekends.
Old Sep 11, 17, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
How does one get DUB-LHR-JFK-SEA for 800? Is that in J?
Old Sep 11, 17, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tinseltown View Post
How does one get DUB-LHR-JFK-SEA for 800? Is that in J?
These fares have sadly not been available this year and are probably unlikely to return.
Old Sep 11, 17, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Depends how much you want to spend.

Royal Jordanian have cheapish flights in Business to KUL and HKG for 560TP. Its a good business class and they use 787s all the way I think. They only fly on certain days though

Last year I did DUB-PHL-SEA-JFK-DUB in an AA sale for less than 1,000. Cheapest I could see last time I looked was much more than that but a lot less than a direct flight from LHR for twice the TP and much more Avios
Old Sep 11, 17, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by leisureflyer1234 View Post
Depends how much you want to spend.

Royal Jordanian have cheapish flights in Business to KUL and HKG for 560TP. Its a good business class and they use 787s all the way I think. They only fly on certain days though

Last year I did DUB-PHL-SEA-JFK-DUB in an AA sale for less than 1,000. Cheapest I could see last time I looked was much more than that but a lot less than a direct flight from LHR for twice the TP and much more Avios
Wow that AA sale must have given you some great TPs? Do you book each leg sep or multi-city? F or Business? I'm tempted to do a TP just to document the run and see if I can do it! I think it'll make for a great go-pro experience!

Originally Posted by arnie. View Post
As someone who's wanted to attend a Do for a while but always seems to be in the wrong place when they're happening, all the responses when they happen seem to be nothing but positive. Perhaps see you at one soon.

Good luck with the TP runs. I've found my intake greatly increase over the last 1.5 years, and have often found that flying with QR and CX* when goImg east is often beneficial (despite the lower Avios accrual) in J with rather attractive prices. I'd try RJ, but I've heard some fairly bad stories with them regarding providing the points owed.

*Not a dig at BA, who I still enjoy flying with. Just seems more recently to have made better financial sense and I'm more inclined than most to give up the extra time for connections in DOH or HKG if I lose out on weekends.
Thanks for the tip. I'm looking to see how much the train to Leeds is... don't think I'll fly from LHR, although I live 20 mins from it

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
We were all newbies at some point. Every Do seems to be a collection of frequent Do people and new faces, I wouldn't hesitate to come along. There is often a Do in London around Christmas time, or rather just before, though I don't think I've seen a date for this year yet. I change my signature (eventually) to indicate the next Do.
Thanks. I'm checking leeds pricing/hotels that I saw on the Wiki page. I'm enjoying this forum, lots of friendly/helpful tips/comments.
I'll look out for the London one especially as I work in the city. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I just booked through the AA website. Didn't use multi city. If you are going to the west coast you need to make sure that the connecting flight is one that gives you the 140 tp (over 2,000 miles I think) otherwise you will only get 40 even on the longer flights. I would like to do HNL a routing such as DUB-PHL-LAX-HNL and return would give 840 plus 80 for the connection to DUB in Club Europe

Also, its worth checking the Finnair offers. I did LHR-HEL-BKK last year for about 1200. Unfortunately I lost 80 TP on the return as they rebooked me onto BA due to a delay. Otherwise it gives 460 and you can get to fly the A350 and use the sauna in HEL if you leave enough connection time
Old Sep 12, 17, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leisureflyer1234 View Post
I just booked through the AA website. Didn't use multi city. If you are going to the west coast you need to make sure that the connecting flight is one that gives you the 140 tp (over 2,000 miles I think) otherwise you will only get 40 even on the longer flights. I would like to do HNL a routing such as DUB-PHL-LAX-HNL and return would give 840 plus 80 for the connection to DUB in Club Europe

Also, its worth checking the Finnair offers. I did LHR-HEL-BKK last year for about 1200. Unfortunately I lost 80 TP on the return as they rebooked me onto BA due to a delay. Otherwise it gives 460 and you can get to fly the A350 and use the sauna in HEL if you leave enough connection time
It's a whole job, isn't it! Thanks for the tips!
I also just want to try a TP run because it would be awesome to be in 5 diff continents in 3 days... body clock must be confused the whole time!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: