FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Options: Family Trip LON - SYD in J (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1866158-options-family-trip-lon-syd-j.html)

flyer200 Sep 10, 2017 6:07 am

Options: Family Trip LON - SYD in J

Hi gang

I'm looking for some thoughts on how to get the the family to SYD next summer. Previously I have been lucky to have an abundance of Avios and multiple vouchers but not this time, too many F redemptions, so I look to you for some thoughts.

Here are the parameters:
  1. Family of 4, 2 adults, 2 children
  2. 150K avios, 1 Companion Voucher
  3. I'm Gold, none the family have significant status
  4. Can spend about 10k / 12K on revenue tickets
  5. Outbound from July 23rd '18 - returning 4-6 weeks depending on availability

Preference in sectors in order
  1. LHR - HKG - SYD (with stop over for a couple of days)
  2. LHR - SIN - SYD (no stop over)
  3. LHR - DXB - SYD (with stop over for a couple of days)

Open to flying some sectors on other carriers but keen to stay in J.

Open to exotic routing too

edit:Prefer no EX EU as flying with family

BAGoldBoy Sep 10, 2017 7:09 am

A quick look at google flights shows BA flights ex-OSL to SYD in J for around £2600 return next summer. Worth keeping an eye out for other offers, e.g. Qatar

Ldnn1 Sep 10, 2017 7:23 am

Originally Posted by flyer200 (Post 28798437)
  1. LHR - HKG - DXN (with stop over for a couple of days)

Do you mean LHR-HKG-SYD? :confused:

mikeyfly Sep 10, 2017 7:29 am

There's a nice Garuda fare at the moment but doesn't cover your dates (their product looks good)

If paying cash - which you will as those Avios won't go far... I would hold out for a decent sale maybe 4/6 months before. £2K is often achievable or less, if you would consider starting further in Europe?

flyer200 Sep 10, 2017 7:41 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 28798595)
There's a nice Garuda fare at the moment but doesn't cover your dates (their product looks good)

If paying cash - which you will as those Avios won't go far... I would hold out for a decent sale maybe 4/6 months before. £2K is often achievable or less, if you would consider starting further in Europe?

ex eu worries me when it's the whole family

Ldnn1 Sep 10, 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by flyer200 (Post 28798628)
ex eu worries me when it's the whole family

It shouldn't worry you if you treat it as an opportunity to spend a leisurely day or two at your starting point. That way it adds a nice extra dimension to your holiday.

I can see why B2B isn't great for families but ex-EU needn't be done that way.

angeloedades Sep 10, 2017 8:51 am

I remember reading somewhere that PEK might be a good place to stop.

Avios and Cash for LHR-PEK then PEK-SYD on QF which was relatively cheap in J?

EDIT: here is the thread I was talking about

Dorsetboy Sep 10, 2017 9:20 am

You'll obviously only be able to use the companion voucher for the BA legs of the journey, so need to factor that into your costs. Therefore only your option 2 fits that and trying to get returns to SYD in J via SIN is well documented as difficult. The DXB option might prove expensive as by the time you travel, all DXB-Syd flights will be on EK metal only as QF are moving back to via SIN, and thus you will probably not be able to get a through fare.
For your budget I would go to a high volume TA like Flight Centre and see if they can help. They recently got me 2xF class returns to Oz in January for 40% below what was being offered on the EK and QF websites.
Good luck

AlienInTheFatherland Sep 10, 2017 10:01 am

CX seems to have WAW-SYD/MEL/AKL in J for € 2.599 up until 30.06.18 atm.

flyer200 Sep 10, 2017 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 28798670)
It shouldn't worry you if you treat it as an opportunity to spend a leisurely day or two at your starting point. That way it adds a nice extra dimension to your holiday.

I can see why B2B isn't great for families but ex-EU needn't be done that way.

It's drama if your flight from EU destination back to London is delayed. Would happily fly from EU direct though.

Originally Posted by angeloedades (Post 28798796)
I remember reading somewhere that PEK might be a good place to stop.

Avios and Cash for LHR-PEK then PEK-SYD on QF which was relatively cheap in J?

EDIT: here is the thread I was talking about

Thankyou.

Originally Posted by Dorsetboy (Post 28798863)
You'll obviously only be able to use the companion voucher for the BA legs of the journey, so need to factor that into your costs. Therefore only your option 2 fits that and trying to get returns to SYD in J via SIN is well documented as difficult. The DXB option might prove expensive as by the time you travel, all DXB-Syd flights will be on EK metal only as QF are moving back to via SIN, and thus you will probably not be able to get a through fare.
For your budget I would go to a high volume TA like Flight Centre and see if they can help. They recently got me 2xF class returns to Oz in January for 40% below what was being offered on the EK and QF websites.
Good luck

Previously we have used companion vouchers to get to HKG on BA in F/J and then revenue tickets to SYD

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland (Post 28798958)
CX seems to have WAW-SYD/MEL/AKL in J for € 2.599 up until 30.06.18 atm.

nice!

Ldnn1 Sep 10, 2017 11:31 am

Originally Posted by flyer200 (Post 28798994)
It's drama if your flight from EU destination back to London is delayed. Would happily fly from EU direct though.

Yes the best offers to SYD, usually on the likes of QR, EY or sometimes CX or SQ, are generally direct from the EU start point to the carrier hub, so no different to flying from London.

toothy Sep 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Have you thought about going via KUL? We did that and then Air Asia X from there to SYD. £300 for a flat bed (no service, but it's an 8 hour overnight flight).

T

Cymro Sep 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by toothy (Post 28799622)
Have you thought about going via KUL? We did that and then Air Asia X from there to SYD. £300 for a flat bed (no service, but it's an 8 hour overnight flight).

T

Good option, plus LUX-LHR-KUL is usually pretty cheap in WTP with decent GUF/avios availability to business class, and should allow a stopover for the final flight back to London (so minimal family drama).

Edit: for the easiest life, CX has a good fare out of OSL. Rather than doing a back-to-back, I'd do an evening flight out to Oslo followed by an early morning departure, then changing to CX.

It offers free stopovers in London and supports a stopover in LHR on the return, all for £2660 (the LHR stopover is £150-odd, but probably worth it), plus you get CX's 777 1-2-1 product and the CX lounge in LHR for all. Wide open availability throughout summer 18 and while you may get a slightly better price if BA has a sale, the stopover convenience and the CX product make this a good deal regardless.

2035 Sep 10, 2017 2:45 pm

You can get one-stop LHR-ICN-SYD on Asiana or LHR-Saigon-LHR on Vietnam for around EUR 2600, look at kayak.de
I think that's easier with family, and both these are interesing stopovers.

wolf72 Sep 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 28798595)

Does Garuda fly to London?