FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A321 Club World, what to expect? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1866000-a321-club-world-what-expect.html)

clansey1973 Sep 9, 2017 1:54 am

A321 Club World, what to expect?

We're flying back from Beirut to London on BA in Club. Just googling the subject it's not entirely clear how good/bad the product will be. Is the A321 Business Configuration for Mid-Haul more like CE or CW? Are Lounge facilities provided at Beirut? Any constructive comments and first-hand anecdotes appreciated.

Many thanks!

Airprox Sep 9, 2017 1:59 am

Originally Posted by clansey1973 (Post 28795096)
We're flying back from Beirut to London on BA in Club. Just googling the subject it's not entirely clear how good/bad the product will be. Is the A321 Business Configuration for Mid-Haul more like CE or CW? Are Lounge facilities provided at Beirut? Any constructive comments and first-hand anecdotes appreciated.

Many thanks!

It's nothing like CE at all. It is CW service and flat-bed seats in an alternating 1-2 setup.

http://desktop.beiruting.com/Content...2122528330.JPG

LCY8737 Sep 9, 2017 2:32 am

I don't think it is quite up there with CW, the cabins tend to be a bit dated, the seats are not as comfortable (they have some kind of air pressured seat cushions - my last flight it constantly lost air).

Though it definitely is a massive step up from CE. Seats go full flat, decent entertainment system, etc.

scottishpoet Sep 9, 2017 2:53 am

and the seats have a back massager built in

Swanhunter Sep 9, 2017 3:00 am

The single throne seats are in many ways far superior to regular CW, the pairs somewhat less so. Why superior. A far more storage, better table, better seat comfort (personal), greater sense of space and light. Only downside is less privacy.

Just sit near near the front as service can be a bit sluggish.

When I Travel The World Sep 9, 2017 5:05 am

I loved the A321 Club World seats. It will be a real shame when they phase them out. I enjoy them a lot more when travelling alone over regular club world seats.

BA6501 Sep 9, 2017 5:09 am

Love the seat. Service can be hit and miss, especially on the return sector to LHR. Lounge is basic and overcrowded now that BA has built up a customer base in BEY. Amazing ground handling team though. Don't forget the electronic restrictions.

South London Bon Viveur Sep 9, 2017 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 28795105)
It's nothing like CE at all. It is CW service and flat-bed seats in an alternating 1-2 setup.

http://desktop.beiruting.com/Content...2122528330.JPG

Except sometimes if you're very lucky it is exactly like CE- because you might get one of these ac on the short European sectors. I once had it on VIE-LON.

subject2load Sep 9, 2017 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur (Post 28795547)
Except sometimes if you're very lucky it is exactly like CE- because you might get one of these ac on the short European sectors. I once had it on VIE-LON.

Yep ...had one myself on a LHR-OSL some time ago. Only three of us in the CE cabin on the day (early Sun morning IIRC).

Difficult not to spend the whole flight comparing it to the economy-style "business class" (ahem !) seat on the standard config aircraft .......

ManchesterBAFlyer Sep 9, 2017 8:54 am

I am still at a loss as to why BA don't sort out a mid-haul Club product aka Turkish. It would be perfectly fine on flights from 3-5 hours - the flat bad on BEY/TLV is not really necessary, but the tiny seats to ATH, LCA etc are just unacceptable. If they started to offer decent seats on these kinds of routes I'm sure they'd rake it in both from those originating in the UK but also from other people in NW Europe who want to fly a decent product on mid-haul routes.

Often1 Sep 9, 2017 9:54 am

Perhaps. But, take a look at the square footage required for the CW cabin vs. the same square footage for let's say 20 CE seats (5 rows). The additional space required for 2-1 lie flat seating is a great deal and that commands a much greater premium over steerage than CE and I question the market for that on short-haul.

It also introduces the need for yet a separate fleet for the true micro-hauls as I doubt that anyone would pay for the 321 CW configuration for the hop to AMS, BRU or either Paris airports. For those, while the CE as "J" approach is a bit of a joke, the flexible cabin does make for pricing which is enormously profitable and popular.

doctoravios Sep 9, 2017 10:24 am

I tried this product on a flight to Moscow. I thought in many ways it was actually better than the Club World product on the widebody aircraft as if you are in a throne seat you get the entire row to yourself and don't have to climb over anyone to get out. Yes, the seat and cabin is a little dated but so are the 777s/747s. I am sure you would find it much better than Club Europe.

scottishpoet Sep 9, 2017 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28796102)
For those, while the CE as "J" approach is a bit of a joke, the flexible cabin does make for pricing which is enormously profitable and popular.

And in line with all the major European competitors

PETER01 Sep 9, 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World (Post 28795440)
I loved the A321 Club World seats. It will be a real shame when they phase them out. I enjoy them a lot more when travelling alone over regular club world seats.

I was told they would be getting phased out by October/November so they won't have that long left. Never been on one but what you've never had you don't miss as the old saying goes!

Fitch Sep 9, 2017 2:02 pm

I hope they're still operating next March/April when we fly CAI-LHR and back a couple of weeks later...

We have a row with 1 seat either side of yhe aisle so rather looking forward to it :)