Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Period between tier point year end and expiry of card - what is my status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Period between tier point year end and expiry of card - what is my status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
I spoke today with the EC call-centre and they advised me that the avios-bonus associated with a tier expires on the date of the reset of the yearly-collection-date, that is flights taken in between that date and the expiry of the card are not eligible for the bonus. Is that right?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
I spoke today with the EC call-centre and they advised me that the avios-bonus associated with a tier expires on the date of the reset of the yearly-collection-date, that is flights taken in between that date and the expiry of the card are not eligible for the bonus. Is that right?
Unless something has changed recently, no. Your gold/silver/bronze status continues until the card expires and you remain eligible for all benefits of that status until expiration.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jul 5, 2018 at 11:09 am Reason: fix gramar/speling
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Unless something has changed recently, no. You remember gold/silver/bronze until the card expires and remain eligible for all benefits of that status until expiration.
What happened was that a family member flew between her status' year-end-date and the expiry date of the card (8 May and 30 June) and was not awarded the 25% avios bonus (no soft-landing from Bronze ).
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happened was that a family member flew between her status' year-end-date and the expiry date of the card (8 May and 30 June) and was not awarded the 25% avios bonus (no soft-landing from Bronze ).
I would call again or contact the BA Executive Club representative on FT. Again, unless something has recently changed others have reported receiving the bonus.
Collecting tier points near end of collection year
Membership year (earning vs validity)
Bonus points query?
BAEC Silver woes
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
That's what I was told last August, when my membership year ended 8th but my gold card expired 31st and I soft landed to silver after that. The flights I took between the year-end and gold card expiry date got the silver-level Avios bonus. I queried this a couple of times with the gold line (because I still was as my card hadn't expired) and they insisted that it was correct (which I still don't believe but couldn't be bothered to pursue after a couple of the same responses).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flyblue
Flew between expiry and card end, but only re-qualified for Silver for 1 year

Hi,

My membership/reset year expired 8 June 2018 and my Gold Card expired 31 July 2018.

I flew in July enough to earn 790 TPs, therefore technically amassing enough to re-qualify for Silver, despite the soft-landing.

After the 31 July, I fully expected a soft landing from Gold to Silver but when I got the card, it's expiry date is listed as 31 July 2019. Should this not be 31 July 2020? In other words, the remaining of the year and the year after, given that my earnings were made the month after my membership year expiry.

Last edited by Nagolnagol; Aug 28, 2018 at 6:06 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA issues a card for a year. They will issue a further one next year with the expiry date of 2020
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Do points earned on 8th count to current or future membership year?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Do points earned on 8th count to current or future membership year?
Current (or old) year,
From the Guide:
Your tier status will change as soon as you cross the next threshold, although there may be a few days lag for the system to reflect it. You will continue to accumulate Tier Points until your membership year end date. So for example, if your membership year ends on 8 January, a flight taken on 8 January will count towards your old year. Your Tier Point balance will be zeroed out on 9 January reflecting the beginning of a new membership year. If you fail to accrue the number of Tier Points (or meet the requisite number of eligible flights) needed to retain your current level, you will drop to the level immediately below. This is often referred to as the soft landing.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29235434-post4.html
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for! I need it to hit my 9k target this year.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:31 am

Three Year Gold Card

I was just checking to make sure that I would hit my TP to retain Gold when I noticed that my card expiry date is April 2021. My Points year ends in March 2019 so I expected to see the year end in April 2019. Is this a change in policy?
BAEC likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by fullyestablished
I was just checking to make sure that I would hit my TP to retain Gold when I noticed that my card expiry date is April 2021. My Points year ends in March 2019 so I expected to see the year end in April 2019. Is this a change in policy?
Now you’ll have everyone checking 😊👍
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Hello fullyestablished and welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board ^

Were you caught up in the BA IT meltdown issue last year by chance?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1844828-27-may-worldwide-ba-outage-practical-assistance-advice-clutter-free-please.html

https://onemileatatime.com/british-airways-extending-status/

There were confirmed reports of people getting extensions so I am wondering if that is what is going on. No doubt others will be along shortly to add to your post.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:00 am

I was a couple of years ago, but that was the year when I was actually downgraded to Silver the week before they offered that so I ignored it. I got back up to gold six months later but it seems that they re-set my card for three years from the end of that year. I should have checked, I have been flying everywhere in First since September to hit the TP for this year. I suppose that I will have to go back to J and open my own lavatory door and enjoy my nuts at an ambient temperature. Oh, and eat off a tray, and make up my own bed.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ok everyone, I have read and re-read this thread and a load of others regarding membership years and accrual of TPs and I am sorry to say that I am still a bit confused... in spite of everyone's efforts to explain in the various threads... sorry... I must have some kind of blind spot regarding all this.

I am Silver at the moment. I have zero points this membership year and so if I do nothing my level (with soft-landing) will drop back to Bronze at the end of my membership year. That much I get. I want to do a TP run to get me up to Gold but as I have no TPs this year so far I will have to do the entire 1500pts. I am not particularly bothered when I do the run(s) to get the 1500pts but I want to maximise the benefit by having Gold status for as long as possible afterwards.

So my question is this... am I right is saying that the best way in my circumstance is to accrue those 1500pts between the end of my membership year and the expiry of my Silver card? That way I do the TP run whilst retaining Silver benefits but when I get the 1500pts it will be accrued in the next membership year and so I will be upgraded to Gold for nearly 2 years.

I think I have this all correct but before I go off half-cocked and book the flights I would like this confirmed.

Many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.