Search

BA seeks to close NAPS pension scheme

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
The race to the bottom continues.
Originally Posted by Agent69
Exactly what Chris Evans thought when he found out that the BBC wanted to reduce his Ł2m a year pay package.
Was this a joke about female BBC stars and their bottoms?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:05 pm

Today BA announced their proposed new pension arrangements - and they have once again pulled a rabbit out of a hat, they have found a solution that will anger and annoy, not only those in NAPS but those in BARP too.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 11, 2017 at 10:32 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:08 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
thanks for the update.

jusf saw this on Financial Times

‘British Airways proposes new pension plan’
https://www.ft.com/content/f69f3741-...b-9d49bcb0061b
As this is wholly behind a paywall, it's not going to be much use to most people. Perhaps you might be able to provide a brief summary in accordance with FT Rule 9? @:-)
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 11, 2017 at 10:31 am Reason: Redact paragraphs to summary length to avoid copyright infringement
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by 13900
I've entered the working world when jobs for life were gone, getting on the property ladder without a significant inheritance - which I never had - impossible, and defined benefits pensions no longer available. In other words, I'm on BARP, the defined contribution pension scheme of BA.

Maria Da Cunha's email mentions NAPS deficits that can only be described as Greek. Frankly, I don't see any other way but to shut it down and freeze it to future contributions. The youngest NAPS subscriber will nonetheless get a pension that is double the one of any defined benefit chap anyway...
The NAPS members have paid in much more than you and will lose in many cases Ł200,000 plus in retirement, money that was promised I then and forms part of their package.
If you think the same won’t happen to whatever scheme replaces it in 15-20 years you are mistaken.
Silver Fox and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hacked off
The NAPS members have paid in much more than you and will lose in many cases Ł200,000 plus in retirement, money that was promised I then and forms part of their package.
If you think the same won’t happen to whatever scheme replaces it in 15-20 years you are mistaken.
Welcome to FlyerTalk Hacked off.

I view pensions not managed by their beneficiaries as a bit suspect, always seems to me that that the aims of the beneficiaries and the managers are not aligned.

I keep meaning to set up a SIPP myself but it seems like a lot of work.

My 21 year old colleague turned up with a SIPP form on his desk on Friday which rather reminded me I ought to consider it!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
An update on the pension situation in today's Times, the 60 day consultation period has ended and Unite has written to its members, appearing to accept the plan, stating "We have no choice but to deal with the reality of the situation we face".

From April next year BA intends to put all 37000 workers into a new scheme, into which the company will pay a guaranteed 5% of salary, irrespective of employee contributions, and up to 11% if an employee contributes 5%.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
and up to 11% if an employee contributes 5%.
If that is true - ie - employee pays in 5% and the employer pays in 11% then that is very good for 2017. Obviously not as good as it once was but pretty much everyone could say that about any company.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by LiviLion
If that is true - ie - employee pays in 5% and the employer pays in 11% then that is very good for 2017. Obviously not as good as it once was but pretty much everyone could say that about any company.
If BA carries on paying 11% or in a couple of years time dials that back as they have a tendancy to do.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:03 pm

Note it is 'up to' 11% in exchange for 5% contribution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.