Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected car hire charge by Avis

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I didn't mention it because I had called up Avis (twice - second time to confirm) and they said that if the car is collected no later than 15 hrs after the booked collection time then it is classed as being on the same booking and under the same terms. I did that so this is a collection within the allowed timeframe.

The Ł900 charge to change the booking is just a coincidence that it is a similar amount.

That charge to change my booking consisted of a booking change fee because my booking was a holiday and the T&Cs of the holiday required a significant change fee. I would have incurred that charge regardless of what changes I wanted to make so it wasn't specific to the car hire element. I realise that there numbers are so similar that it looks like they are connected but they are not. At least that is how it was explained to me by the BA representative when I tried to change the booking.
Apologies to you, Snaxmuppet.

I must admit that the 'Ł900+' reminded me of your original thread.

Lesson learned - I must pay more attention before posting...LOL, not a good start...

Good luck and I hope this situation is rectified very soon.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
No... your comment was valid... you should have made it as it needed explanation. Mind you... I am only going on what I am told. It could be connected I suppose but from what I was told it isn't.

Please keep posting All comments are welcome here (at least as far as I am concerned!!!)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
The advice to close out the rental and get a final receipt at the time of return is something I will always do in future... thanks.
Best process. I also like someone mentioned ... video while inspecting car at pickup and drop off.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Best process. I also like someone mentioned ... video while inspecting car at pickup and drop off.
Yep - go carefully and slowly with the video.

It actually really helps with "did I miss that scrape/dent?" type worries when you see the car the following morning.

I also carry a dashcam on a portable mount now and make a point of having it running when I say to the guy at the booth "I found scratches here - here and here".

The funniest was when a whole section of the rail on the roof was missing. The guy couldn't get my explanation - I had to get out - walk around, show him one side, then show him the other. He just looked at the form and said "I don't have a symbol for that - so I'm going to go with dent".

But the dashcam saved me from a nasty windscreen chip repair as I was able to simply write "I have 3 days of dashcam footage showing the chip, it was missed because of how dark your garage is. Please contact me if you'd like to review the footage yourself." And never heard back.
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Are Avis really that bad?

I have rented from Avis literally hundreds of times, abroad and in the UK, some via BA and mostly independently. I have had a problem only once, in Namibia. We were given a car with non-functioning air-con, and the only replacement was next day, so we were in a hurry. The nicks and dents were not on the form but waived away with a "we know all about them", but I took dated photos later that day. On returning the car Avis insisted, despite the photos, that I had to pay for the damage and refused to tear up the deposit credit card copy. They were doing the same trick to every other pax at the desk, one lady about to miss her flight, in tears, paid up. Only when we were about to miss ours, and I said that I was prepared to miss ours if they didn't relent, did they give in. It seemd they were doing something similar to every customer, probably with a 90%+ success rate. A very stressful experience, only one out of hundreds trouble-free, but I do now insist on having the car checked, and getting a closing receipt stating that the car is OK. Lesson learned.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by doctoravios
I agree. Avis are dreadful. I've used them twice and both times they've attempted to overcharge. I think they just hope that customers don't bother checking (especially if someone else is paying for them).

Don't waste your time speaking to Avis. Go straight to your credit card company and raise a section 75 claim.
The problem if I had done that is that the credit card company would simply see that I signed on the dotted line, regardless of whether I had been told or not that the upgrade carried a charge. So I didn't complain to the credit card company. I was definitely not told about the charge, but I should have checked carefully before signing. The whole thing still makes me angry on principle, but it happened at FLL way back in early February.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:15 am

There is a large discussion on a Florida Travel forum of the extra charges added to many BA Hols trips. Looks like Avis either have an issue or are deliberately charging wrongl
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
The problem if I had done that is that the credit card company would simply see that I signed on the dotted line, regardless of whether I had been told or not that the upgrade carried a charge. So I didn't complain to the credit card company. I was definitely not told about the charge, but I should have checked carefully before signing. The whole thing still makes me angry on principle, but it happened at FLL way back in early February.
I agree, this can be tricky but most credit card companies recognise the situaton that car hire customers are in (being asked to sign for the rental agreement without having a copy of the final settlement) and will pursue a claim and are, indeed, jointly liable with the retailer/provider and must respond to a claim you make (and I find it is usually easier to deal with the credit card company than the actual retailer in these cirumstances). The key is whether you were informed of the final price at the time you signed the form. If you weren't, then it would be reasonable to assume you were signing based on the price of the original offer.

Originally Posted by Fitch
I know we should probably move this thread to the Avis forum, but in the meantime here's my twopennyworth:

A previous employer had a corporate deal with Avis hence the loyalty scheme did its job and I continued to book with them even when I'd moved on

Overall I found them fine on day-to-day basis, albeit terribly stingy with upgrades, but appalling at honouring their various promotional promises...

I did get fed up over time though and when a signing bonus from Hertz dropped into my inbox I though "why not ?".

My goodness, what a difference ! Upgrades went from 1 in 20 to 19 in 20. Customer Services are in Ireland and couldn't be more helpful (Avis are exactly the opposite ) Hertz promotional integrity is not great either but having a good CS team to sort it out helps a lot.

2 years later I have never looked back - frankly I would pay extra to use Hertz over Avis, they are that much better...

Even the shuttle bus experience at LHR is good - frequent with friendly drivers. BA have a really rubbish partner in Avis
This is my experience also. I've always found Hertz to be professional and courteous whenever I've used them in the UK or USA.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Hertz might be better but they are a lot more expensive when compared to the BA Avis pricing... for good reason it seems
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:40 am

I think the biggest difference in service is whether I'm a tourist with a voucher and if I'm signed up to the loyalty program. Branch managers play a big role, too.

There are many variables, and one person might write off an entire company because of one bad experience at one branch (fair enough, I've done it too!)

Avis I've found great in the UK, not so great anywhere else (mainly Spain, Australia).
Hertz UK: I've rented about 5 times in 5 years from one branch, and had excellent experiences.
Thrifty UK: very picky about damage, but pricing can be very competitive.

The discounts on the flights with car+flight are hard to beat with BA sometimes. I got 4 days, E-Class Merc, vueling outbound, BA inbound to Bilbao for Ł160 once when the flights alone were about Ł200.

Because of the good discounts on flights, I would still book BA + Avis. The issues with them in Europe are rarely unique to Avis (i.e. downgrades, vouchers being 2nd class citizens, DCC scam, damage charges etc).
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by simons1
We had a BA fly drive car from Avis last month for 3 weeks.

Picked up the car and the guy tried to pressure us into paying $9.95 a day ($208 total) for a satnav. Refused and then discovered the group of car we had booked have satnavs fitted as standard.
Saw someone at FCO renting a car and satnav then found when he got to the car that it had built in sat nav so decided he didn't want to pay for the satnav anymore. They said they couldn't refund it and he had to take the satnav with him because if he didn't he'd be charged for it if it wasn't present on return.

I prefer to pay the Ł5 per day to my mobile company to take my data with me and then use satnav on that :-)
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
No... no additional insurances...

This is the breakdown... as you can see... I was only given a 908USD credit for the voucher
What kind of vehicle was rented?

Your receipt indicates ACCEPTED under Loss Damage Waiver and supplemental liability insurance. Both of those are normally costed at daily rates, and they could easily amount to $25 per day.

I also note that Chicago has a 21% (!) sales tax applied to this rental and also applied to the 11.1% concession fee and a 21-day total of $24.57 license recoupment.

Plus there are nontaxable fees totaling $2.75 to the city and $168.00 to O'Hare for their rental car building.

Per the receipt we start at 2094.00 final gross
less untaxed fee 2.75
less untaxed fee 168.00
taxed gross 1923.25
less sales tax 333.79
untaxed gross 1430.66
less concession fee 158.80
less license fee 24.57
raw gross cost 1406.09
less prepaid 908.53 (or 302.85 rental week/ 60.57 rental day -- a plausible number for the rental charge only for a minivan SUV)
yields a remainder of 497.56

That 497.56 would be 23.70 per day, which sounds suspiciously similar to what the two optional insurance coverages might cost.

I would wager that your package was for the rental car only, not any insurance nor any taxes and fees.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

I use the data on my phone and just use Google Maps. Mind you... I travel mostly to the USA where I have data and calls included as if in the UK (3 at Home).
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastflyer
What kind of vehicle was rented?
Group F - Nissan Rogue

Your receipt indicates ACCEPTED under Loss Damage Waiver and supplemental liability insurance. Both of those are normally costed at daily rates, and they could easily amount to $25 per day.
Normally that would be true if I had actually accepted LDW but I didn't accept any additional services or insurances... it was booked through BA so CDW is included and I would imagine that that is why it says "included" but also why it indicates no charge.

I also note that Chicago has a 21% (!) sales tax applied to this rental applied to the rent and also to the 11.1% concession fee and a 21-day total of $24.57 license recoupment.

Plus there are nontaxable fees totaling $2.75 to the city and $168.00 to O'Hare for their rental car building.
Again... booked through BA so included.

Per the receipt we start at 2094.00 final gross
less untaxed fee 2.75
less untaxed fee 168.00
taxed gross 1923.25
less sales tax 333.79
untaxed gross 1430.66
less concession fee 158.80
less license fee 24.57
raw gross cost 1406.09
less prepaid 908.53 (or 302.85 rental week/ 60.57 rental day -- a plausible number for the rental charge only for a minivan SUV)
yields a remainder of 497.56

That 497.56 would be 23.70 per day, which sounds suspiciously similar to what the two optional insurance coverages might cost.

I would wager that your package was for the rental car only, not any insurance nor any taxes and fees.
Not so... it included CDW all taxes and fees. This is from the BA Rental Conditions...
Your car rental voucher:
All mandatory charges have been included.
So whilst I commend your maths unfortunately is isn't relevant for a BA.com booking as you just pay a single price.

I should point out that I have rented Avis cars in this way many times and my voucher has always covered all the rental cost on previous occasions... that is why I didn't look at the check in receipt... I just assumed it would be the same as it has always been... my mistake!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I had it more than once that Avis local station wanted to charge me extra past the voucher, but when pointing out that it should cover it all, they usual backed off.

I did however had two instances with Avis where I ended up having to do charge back. Once I handed in keys and registration (as it was done in Germany at that time), but later they tried to charge me for having to get a new copy for the registration.

Another time I had a flat tire the Sunday before flying back on Monday early morning. So we called Avis road side assistance, they sent a tow truck with replacement car .. which ended up being a car from Budget. Avis later tried to charge me a over $1,000 for that half day rental and tire replacement. This was supposed to be all covered as rented, so took a major fight too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.