Unexpected car hire charge by Avis

Old Sep 19, 17, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Your biggest hurdle may be if the charge was properly set out in front of you at the time you signed for the car, but you didn't read it. But that's very commonly the case with car rental ruses and if the agent didn't mention at all to you that - despite you having a prepaid voucher - you would be charged a huge sum which you could never previously have been aware of let alone agreed, then I don't think that charge is defensible.
I was given a slip with the daily charge on it and the estimated total but no, I didn't read it. Why should I? I had a voucher that fully covered the cost of my booking. Nothing was mentioned to me that the rate had changed from that booked with BA Holidays and I was not told that the voucher would no longer fully cover the charges. Quite appalling.

Rather naively, I reckoned that if my voucher would not cover the cost of the rental then it would have been mentioned at the time of pickup. Nothing was mentioned at all. I feel as though I have been robbed!
Old Sep 19, 17, 5:35 pm

Well whatever the eventual outcome of your dispute, on the plus side you have at least now learnt the golden rule of car hire - ALWAYS check the rental agreement charges!

Best of luck with the fight...
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Sep 19, 17, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
I was given a slip with the daily charge on it and the estimated total but no, I didn't read it. Why should I? I had a voucher that fully covered the cost of my booking. Nothing was mentioned to me that the rate had changed from that booked with BA Holidays and I was not told that the voucher would no longer fully cover the charges. Quite appalling.

Rather naively, I reckoned that if my voucher would not cover the cost of the rental then it would have been mentioned at the time of pickup. Nothing was mentioned at all. I feel as though I have been robbed!
If this was at a counter rather than at the exit gate, then I can certainly understand why you would be very unhappy about this. The agent really should have mentioned any extra charges, and I think this is your best argument with Avis.

There seems to be nothing at all in the Avis Terms and Conditions about late collections being cancelled. Would be good to get some definitive facts (wonders if the Avis forum might know)
Old Sep 19, 17, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My partner had a similar issue on a BA Holidays fly-drive when he dropped off his Avis car a day early (as opposed to picking up a day late). He rushed off without paying attention to the return slip and we later received an invoice (debited from his credit card) for an astronomical amount (I can't remember the exact sum but it was of the order of 600 for an original rental cost of under 100). It seems that avis computers automatically recalculate the rental cost at walk-up rates if the pick-up or drop-off date is different from that originally contracted. I looked into it a bit and it seemed a little tricky legally. I was mentally preparing myself for the possibility of an awkward legal fight but, after BA Hols forwarded our complaint to Avis, Avis immediately agreed to refund the extra payment without making any fuss.
Old Sep 20, 17, 4:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
When were you due to collect and return the vehicle?
On the dates I actually did collect and return
They claim that Avis do not have a 15 hour grace period and that as I collected the car the next day that I have gone onto the standard, non-contracted, daily rate.
It really would have helped if you'd given the full information up front...
Old Sep 20, 17, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton diamond
Call them up as if you're contemplating a new booking under the same situation as the previous booking, and this time record what they say. If the agent on the phone also tells you about the 15 hours you have them. If you get that recorded, I'd call and get another agent saying the same thing. After the fact perhaps but shows that they're giving out that info and should greatly strengthen your case.
Old Sep 20, 17, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
Call them up as if you're contemplating a new booking under the same situation as the previous booking, and this time record what they say. If the agent on the phone also tells you about the 15 hours you have them. If you get that recorded, I'd call and get another agent saying the same thing. After the fact perhaps but shows that they're giving out that info and should greatly strengthen your case.
Sneaky, but I love it
Old Sep 20, 17, 7:47 am

Hi OP,
I just called Avis as I needed to add my preferred number to a booking made with Avios.com/Voucher. I spoke to someone helpful in customer service and thought I would ask your question as a theoretical one, for my LA booking. The lady explained that they should not really fully cancel a booking but some stations have been known to do this, and if they did and set out a new agreement that they would refund any additional charges.. Customer Service: 0808 284 6666
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Sep 20, 17, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I had my car hire from Avis (real Avis, not a franchise) from Belfast City this weekend as part of a prepaid BA holiday booking.

When I dropped the car back they gave me a receipt showing a cost, with amount owing as zero. The cost on the receipt was way more than the 2 pounds it actually cost me on top of the flights.
Old Sep 20, 17, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
It really would have helped if you'd given the full information up front...
I was told that the original contract would stand if I collected within 15 hrs so as far as I am concerned it was on the original contract and so as far as Avis is concerned it was collected on the original date ( or up to 15 hrs after).

Sorry if you felt I have misled you but IMO it actually doesn't matter which day I collected the car providing it is within the allowed period.
Old Sep 20, 17, 4:22 pm

I was told that the original contract would stand if I collected within 15 hrs so as far as I am concerned it was on the original contract and so as far as Avis is concerned it was collected on the original date ( or up to 15 hrs after).

Sorry if you felt I have misled you but IMO it actually doesn't matter which day I collected the car providing it is within the allowed period.
See my note above. Based on my call today with Avis I can see you getting this back
Old Sep 20, 17, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavajava View Post
Hi OP,
I just called Avis as I needed to add my preferred number to a booking made with Avios.com/Voucher. I spoke to someone helpful in customer service and thought I would ask your question as a theoretical one, for my LA booking. The lady explained that they should not really fully cancel a booking but some stations have been known to do this, and if they did and set out a new agreement that they would refund any additional charges.. Customer Service: 0808 284 6666
Thanks... I have written to Avis UK Customer Service but I received an auto-acknowledgement to say they will reply within 15 days
Old Sep 20, 17, 4:23 pm

Thanks... I have written to Avis UK Customer Service but I received an auto-acknowledgement to say they will reply within 15 days
Maybe worth a call in the morning All the best!
Old Sep 20, 17, 5:10 pm

Don't bother emailing Avis. They don't reply. Call them and you should get through reasonably quickly.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Sep 20, 17, 5:57 pm

I had a issue with Avis this week, after getting back from a holiday in South Africa.

Booked 3 cars (Cape Town, Bloemfontein then Cape Town again) via BA web site. Paid for all three via Avios points.

I was told about small charges due to fluctuation in exchange rates. Was charged approx. 1 for first booking, 6 for second, which was OK. My third booking I was charged 218!

Upon calling Avis they said that "the BA voucher hadn't been applied" and said that this can be a problem at some locations. I pointed out that the voucher had been applied first time round in Cape Town so why not the second? They had no answer for that.

Apparently I should get a CC refund within 5-7 days. We'll see...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: