Unexpected car hire charge by Avis

Old Sep 11, 17, 2:30 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 968
For those of you that weren't aware the CMA has looked at this in the UK and has told the big 5 to clean up their act.

They were supposed to have done this by January 2017 which they clearly haven't. To me it looks as though any car booked from the UK rather than just rented in the UK ?

I sincerely hop ethe CMA clobbers them with some large penalties.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...-hire-websites
bhbloke is offline  
Old Sep 11, 17, 3:40 am
  #92  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scots girl in London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 252
Originally Posted by bhbloke View Post
For those of you that weren't aware the CMA has looked at this in the UK and has told the big 5 to clean up their act.

They were supposed to have done this by January 2017 which they clearly haven't. To me it looks as though any car booked from the UK rather than just rented in the UK ?

I sincerely hop ethe CMA clobbers them with some large penalties.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...-hire-websites
unfortunately the CMA doesn't have the power to fine companies that breach consumer protection legislation. It will monitor the Big 5 though to ensure compliance, so write to the CMA if you think they aren't meeting their commitments.
albpenny is offline  
Old Sep 11, 17, 11:01 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: JAX
Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Posts: 3,017
Originally Posted by jms_uk View Post
Slightly OT, how quickly do Avios post for AVIS bookings via BA?
For my rental booked through BA Holidays from 14-22Aug in CPT, Avios posted on 03Sep.
JAXBA is offline  
Old Sep 11, 17, 11:07 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London
Programs: Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,972
Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post
For my rental booked through BA Holidays from 14-22Aug in CPT, Avios posted on 03Sep.
Thanks!

Mine was 20-21 AUG in PDX - still nothing...
jms_uk is offline  
Old Sep 11, 17, 11:39 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Posts: 2,698
Originally Posted by bhbloke View Post
For those of you that weren't aware the CMA has looked at this in the UK and has told the big 5 to clean up their act.

They were supposed to have done this by January 2017 which they clearly haven't. To me it looks as though any car booked from the UK rather than just rented in the UK ?

I sincerely hop ethe CMA clobbers them with some large penalties.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...-hire-websites
That suggests they are only looking at car-hire brokers, not the companies themselves;

Car hire comparison websites (sometimes referred to as brokers or meta-search websites)
The AVis/Hertz/Etc was a separate, even earlier, action.

Separately, Avis Budget, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, Europcar, Sixt and Hertz previously committed to introduce the following improvements by January 2016:

improved transparency when making a website booking or reservation: consumers will now have more of the key information they need to shop around for the best deal for them
better information at the booking stage about optional waiver and insurance products
more upfront information about pre- and post-rental vehicle inspection processes
improved notification of, and dispute processes for, any charges for damage
The CMA will review the rental providers’ compliance with these changes at the end of the summer, including examining complaints from consumers.
NeverFirst is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 1:21 pm
  #96  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Plymouth, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,119
I have now heard back from BA Holidays regarding this additional charge...

They claim that Avis do not have a 15 hour grace period and that as I collected the car the next day that I have gone onto the standard, non-contracted, daily rate.

BA Holidays have refused to refund me the additional charge.

I am sooo angry! What else was I to do? I called Avis to ask the question in order not to incur additional charges, I get told I have 15 hrs and then they slap a 915 addition charge on me for following their advice.

I am at a loss really as to where to go from here. It is basically their word against mine as I did not get it in writing and I suspect that they won't be able to find the recording of the telephone conversation.

I want to take this further but who should I take it to? I paid with a visa debit card (to avoid the CC fees on a 7000 holiday)... should I in the first place charge-back on my visa debit card or try complaining elsewhere first?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
snaxmuppet is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 2:07 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 501
Have to say, I use Avis 3-4 times a year (in multiple countries) and have never had an issue.

I'm an Avis Preferred member and very, very rarely have a member of staff try to upsell me on insurance.

I always give the car a full inspection before hand and after (with photos on my phone). I always wait for the rental to be closed out at the site before leaving.

Never had any issues with billing. Have returned cars with a few chips (Iceland) and with a bumper that someone had run a supermarket trolley into (London) and never been charged for damage.

(That being said - the best rental car experience was Nippon Rent a Car in Hokkaido - when returning the car 1 hour early, I was refunded 10 for 'unused time'. Although we refilled at a petrol station nearby, we also noticed that their refill prices were exactly the same)
markle is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 2:18 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 501
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
They claim that Avis do not have a 15 hour grace period and that as I collected the car the next day that I have gone onto the standard, non-contracted, daily rate.
Was your late pick-up because your flight was late? Or because you stayed at an airport hotel overnight and didn't want to pick up the car until the morning? If the former, this is BA's issue to fix.

If the latter, it might be worth posting over in the Avis forum, to see if someone can point you in the direction of some written Ts & Cs that could support your claim.
markle is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 2:19 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: a 30 taxi to LHR
Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 675
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
I have now heard back from BA Holidays regarding this additional charge...

They claim that Avis do not have a 15 hour grace period and that as I collected the car the next day that I have gone onto the standard, non-contracted, daily rate.

BA Holidays have refused to refund me the additional charge.

I am sooo angry! What else was I to do? I called Avis to ask the question in order not to incur additional charges, I get told I have 15 hrs and then they slap a 915 addition charge on me for following their advice.

I am at a loss really as to where to go from here. It is basically their word against mine as I did not get it in writing and I suspect that they won't be able to find the recording of the telephone conversation.

I want to take this further but who should I take it to? I paid with a visa debit card (to avoid the CC fees on a 7000 holiday)... should I in the first place charge-back on my visa debit card or try complaining elsewhere first?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Hi OP,

Think I recall mentioning this on your other thread about picking up the car late. It does seem like you were not advised correctly about how many hours Avis leave until they cancel your booking. It's not clear from the thread whether Avis provided you with a receipt on collection that provided a breakdown of estimated charges, as this could have been the first tell that things were not quite right. I remember spending nearly an hour at the preferred counter for the manager to make a number of adjustments to my booking so I could still get the voucher rate after collecting the car just over 12 hours late.

I can understand why BA can't do anything about it so would urge you to contact Avis directly to explain what happened and try and get a refund. I suspect this may be a challenge, but something they may be willing to do for the sake of customer service...

I don't see why any card charge back would be valid option. It sounds like you entered into a new contract at the higher price and this was not realized until you got the final charge.

Some good advice up thread that you have already recognized.

Good luck
lavajava is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 2:20 pm
  #100  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 46,057
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
I want to take this further but who should I take it to? I paid with a visa debit card (to avoid the CC fees on a 7000 holiday)... should I in the first place charge-back on my visa debit card or try complaining elsewhere first?
Can you clarify whether the unexpected bill from Avis was also to a Visa debit or a UK credit card?

I'm not an expert in car hire legalese, but my first thought is that it is that Avis should be the focus of your complaint, since if I have understood correctly, they said one thing and did something else. Had you known about the additional charge you would not have deferred by 15 hours.
Ldnn1 likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 3:20 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 273
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
I have now heard back from BA Holidays regarding this additional charge...

They claim that Avis do not have a 15 hour grace period and that as I collected the car the next day that I have gone onto the standard, non-contracted, daily rate.

BA Holidays have refused to refund me the additional charge.

I am sooo angry! What else was I to do? I called Avis to ask the question in order not to incur additional charges, I get told I have 15 hrs and then they slap a 915 addition charge on me for following their advice.

I am at a loss really as to where to go from here. It is basically their word against mine as I did not get it in writing and I suspect that they won't be able to find the recording of the telephone conversation.

I want to take this further but who should I take it to? I paid with a visa debit card (to avoid the CC fees on a 7000 holiday)... should I in the first place charge-back on my visa debit card or try complaining elsewhere first?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
I know this is a long shot but did you, by any chance, pay the deposit on a credit card? If so, then you could still make a section 75 claim through the credit card even if you paid the remaining balance on a different debit card. However, the onus would still be upon you to demonstrate that you were incorrectly charged (which might be difficult if you have nothing in writing).
doctoravios is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 3:44 pm
  #102  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Plymouth, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,119
As I said earlier... payment was by visa debit card.

I was told, on two separate telephone conversations, that I had 15 hrs grace by Avis customer support.

I cannot find anywhere in any of the BA Holiday T&Cs that there is any time constraint to car pick up. That is why I contacted Avis.

Looks like this little cock up by Avis will cost me 915. I will never book with BA Holidays or Avis again... unfortunately I have a booking outstanding for November. After that... never again.

I will try a charge-back through my bank but as you say... it is their word against mine.
snaxmuppet is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 3:58 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: a 30 taxi to LHR
Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 675
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
As I said earlier... payment was by visa debit card.

I was told, on two separate telephone conversations, that I had 15 hrs grace by Avis customer support.

I cannot find anywhere in any of the BA Holiday T&Cs that there is any time constraint to car pick up. That is why I contacted Avis.

Looks like this little cock up by Avis will cost me 915. I will never book with BA Holidays or Avis again... unfortunately I have a booking outstanding for November. After that... never again.

I will try a charge-back through my bank but as you say... it is their word against mine.
I know this must be really frustrating, not to mention the potential loss of >900. Please take this to Avis and see what they say, as CWS says, it's not like you would left it 15 hours if you had known there would be a charge. I've found the Avis office in Berkshire, UK to be quite helpful in resolving issues I've had post rental, including one where I had signed for extra upgrade charges but hadn't realised/was never explained to me at the counter.

Perhaps your bank may agree to dispute the extra charge with Avis on your behalf, I believe you do have at least some protection using a UK debit card.. It seems BA may have already gone down this avenue by investigating your complaint.

Let us know how you get on.
snaxmuppet likes this.
lavajava is offline  
Old Sep 19, 17, 4:16 pm
  #104  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,759
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
I will try a charge-back through my bank but as you say... it is their word against mine.
Your word could actually be pretty strong evidence, were it to end up in court (which hopefully it won't).

I'd definitely be pursuing it with Avis and your card issuer if I were you. I don't think BA Holidays are in the wrong in this instance.

Your biggest hurdle may be if the charge was properly set out in front of you at the time you signed for the car, but you didn't read it. But that's very commonly the case with car rental ruses and if the agent didn't mention at all to you that - despite you having a prepaid voucher - you would be charged a huge sum which you could never previously have been aware of let alone agreed, then I don't think that charge is defensible.
Ldnn1 is online now  
Old Sep 19, 17, 4:17 pm
  #105  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Plymouth, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,119
I have emailed Avis customer service in the UK and explained. I will see what they say.
snaxmuppet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: