FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Unexpected car hire charge by Avis (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1865547-unexpected-car-hire-charge-avis.html)

botham Sep 10, 2017 10:54 am

AVIS in Miami, Orlando and Salzburg have all tried to make a surcharge for an additional driver, despite the BAEC t&c giving one extra driver foc. I queried all three and the charges were removed, but users need to be cautious and eagle-eyed!

Concerto Sep 10, 2017 1:50 pm

I was badly diddled by Avis when I was young in the 1980s, really insidious and dishonest behaviour in Amsterdam, similar to that described here, and I boycatted them for almost 20 years. Then, with all the interesting miles promotions and a progressively problem free relationship, I came back to them. It seems like the moment you let your guard down they start behaving like scum again.

I wrote elsewhere about how the decline in customer service correlates to cheaper airline tickets. But with Avis, there are certainly not any "cheaper" prices these days. These rental companies should really be looked at by the regulators.

By the way, I am getting much better service from Alamo these days, none of the crap described here.

jms_uk Sep 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Slightly OT, how quickly do Avios post for AVIS bookings via BA?

aceman Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm

I try and avoid Avis where ever I can, I'm now presidents circle with Hertz and find vehicle selection fantastic with them. However when I do a booking with flight+car to bring the cost of the flight down, I'll take it.

My last trip to LAS as mentioned here, I jumped into the car, a toyota suv, and drove off. Looked at it briefly, and it was pretty dirty outside.

Went to get it in the morning and had a proper look at it, and it wasn't just a bit dirty, it was filthy, the wheel arches were totally caked with mud and grass, the outside was filthy as hell, the car had about 39k miles on the clock, and I seemed like it had spend all of those 39k miles hard at work on a farm. I even found a half drunk bottle of water in the centre console.

Back I went to return it and get something different, as I was dealing with it in the office the guy said 'oh you have a refund coming to you' instead of switching me, he closed the rental. It then took about 30 mins to re-instate it. Finally they upgraded me into a luxury suv, and all was good with the world.

However, when I then dropped that car off, the system wanted to charge me about $400.... So more fun and games in the office expected, but it took 2 seconds and I was on my way. I get a feeling their system isn't that flexible and if you poke around with your bookings it comes up with a charge that needs to be manually over ridden.

Hertz presidents circle choices at LAS are fantastic. Book an intermediate car, and take a choice from Land Rovers, Mercedes Suvs, and Audi saloon cars, and the whole operation is so much slicker everywhere I've been then with Avis.

I would also recommend icarhireinsurance, but if you're using Amex platinum it covers your car insurance too.

rjn21 Sep 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by botham (Post 28799107)
AVIS in Miami, Orlando and Salzburg have all tried to make a surcharge for an additional driver, despite the BAEC t&c giving one extra....

And DEN for me. Every year for the past 5 years.

rapidex Sep 11, 2017 12:02 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 28798984)
Hard to tell who's a franchise or not, of course.

I believe PHX is a franchise, with whom I've had no trouble at all. I could guess IAD might be 'prime', and they've always been trouble free.

As to renting in Europe ... I would rather not even consider it, regardless of Company :)

I think you might be ok in Malta.They even drive on the same side of the road as us.^

HilFly Sep 11, 2017 12:15 am

Originally Posted by botham (Post 28799107)
AVIS in Miami, Orlando and Salzburg have all tried to make a surcharge for an additional driver, despite the BAEC t&c giving one extra driver foc. I queried all three and the charges were removed, but users need to be cautious and eagle-eyed!

From Avis terms and conditions

Additional Driver Policy

All additional drivers must be at least 25 years of age. The following are exempt from the additional driver fee but must meet all other driver requirements: the renter's employer or fellow employee when on company business and renting under a corporate account; the renter's spouse or domestic partner; the companion driver of a renter with a disability who has completed the non-licensed renter form; for insurance replacement rentals, company employees or family members who are designated on the insurance policy. All other additional drivers must complete and sign an additional driver form and present valid credit identification. A maximum of two additional drivers may complete a form.

For all US states other than CA, NV and NY, the additional driver fee is $13 per day per driver with a maximum charge of $65 per driver. The fee in New York is $3 per day per driver. The fee in Nevada is $11 per day per driver with a maximum of $55 per driver. There is no additional driver fee in California.

I don't know if this applies to rentals made outside the US or to non US residents.

botham Sep 11, 2017 1:09 am

Originally Posted by HilFly (Post 28800930)
From Avis terms and conditions

Additional Driver Policy

All additional drivers must be at least 25 years of age. The following are exempt from the additional driver fee but must meet all other driver requirements: the renter's employer or fellow employee when on company business and renting under a corporate account; the renter's spouse or domestic partner; the companion driver of a renter with a disability who has completed the non-licensed renter form; for insurance replacement rentals, company employees or family members who are designated on the insurance policy. All other additional drivers must complete and sign an additional driver form and present valid credit identification. A maximum of two additional drivers may complete a form.

For all US states other than CA, NV and NY, the additional driver fee is $13 per day per driver with a maximum charge of $65 per driver. The fee in New York is $3 per day per driver. The fee in Nevada is $11 per day per driver with a maximum of $55 per driver. There is no additional driver fee in California.

I don't know if this applies to rentals made outside the US or to non US residents.

When booking with Avis through BA, BAEC holders are entitled to one free additional driver.

Or am I missing your point?

Tobias-UK Sep 11, 2017 1:39 am

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 28800916)
I think you might be ok in Malta.They even drive on the same side of the road as us.^

Nonsense, they drive in the shade! :D

Jon Baker Sep 11, 2017 2:19 am

I've come to the conclusion that it's Avis's policy to just charge you extra for something every so often without real rhyme or reason - it must be how they fund their Christmas party - and there seems to be nothing you can do to prevent it aside from not using Avis.

My particular favorite was the letter they sent me issued on 25th December (festive!) stating that "on secondary inspection" they had found £600 of damage to the door of a car I'd returned over 3 months earlier (which was undamaged and had been locally inspected and closed at the time - which I'd come to insist after a string of other utterly factitious post return charges).

I've found I've used Avis a lot less since then - aside from one recent mistake - and then they decided to charge the prepaid fuel top up which I never wanted and despite the fact the tank was filled minutes before the return.

Strangely I've never had any similar experience with any of the other firms....

bhbloke Sep 11, 2017 2:30 am

For those of you that weren't aware the CMA has looked at this in the UK and has told the big 5 to clean up their act.

They were supposed to have done this by January 2017 which they clearly haven't. To me it looks as though any car booked from the UK rather than just rented in the UK ?

I sincerely hop ethe CMA clobbers them with some large penalties.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...-hire-websites

albpenny Sep 11, 2017 3:40 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 28801179)
For those of you that weren't aware the CMA has looked at this in the UK and has told the big 5 to clean up their act.

They were supposed to have done this by January 2017 which they clearly haven't. To me it looks as though any car booked from the UK rather than just rented in the UK ?

unfortunately the CMA doesn't have the power to fine companies that breach consumer protection legislation. It will monitor the Big 5 though to ensure compliance, so write to the CMA if you think they aren't meeting their commitments.

JAXBA Sep 11, 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk (Post 28800090)
Slightly OT, how quickly do Avios post for AVIS bookings via BA?

For my rental booked through BA Holidays from 14-22Aug in CPT, Avios posted on 03Sep.

jms_uk Sep 11, 2017 11:07 am

Originally Posted by JAXBA (Post 28802633)
For my rental booked through BA Holidays from 14-22Aug in CPT, Avios posted on 03Sep.

Thanks!

Mine was 20-21 AUG in PDX - still nothing...

NeverFirst Sep 11, 2017 11:39 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 28801179)

That suggests they are only looking at car-hire brokers, not the companies themselves;

Car hire comparison websites (sometimes referred to as brokers or meta-search websites)
The AVis/Hertz/Etc was a separate, even earlier, action.

Separately, Avis Budget, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, Europcar, Sixt and Hertz previously committed to introduce the following improvements by January 2016:

improved transparency when making a website booking or reservation: consumers will now have more of the key information they need to shop around for the best deal for them
better information at the booking stage about optional waiver and insurance products
more upfront information about pre- and post-rental vehicle inspection processes
improved notification of, and dispute processes for, any charges for damage
The CMA will review the rental providers’ compliance with these changes at the end of the summer, including examining complaints from consumers.

snaxmuppet Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm

I have now heard back from BA Holidays regarding this additional charge...

They claim that Avis do not have a 15 hour grace period and that as I collected the car the next day that I have gone onto the standard, non-contracted, daily rate.

BA Holidays have refused to refund me the additional charge.

I am sooo angry! What else was I to do? I called Avis to ask the question in order not to incur additional charges, I get told I have 15 hrs and then they slap a £915 addition charge on me for following their advice.

I am at a loss really as to where to go from here. It is basically their word against mine as I did not get it in writing and I suspect that they won't be able to find the recording of the telephone conversation.

I want to take this further but who should I take it to? I paid with a visa debit card (to avoid the CC fees on a £7000 holiday)... should I in the first place charge-back on my visa debit card or try complaining elsewhere first?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

markle Sep 19, 2017 2:07 pm

deleted

markle Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm

deleted

lavajava Sep 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet (Post 28835120)

They claim that Avis do not have a 15 hour grace period and that as I collected the car the next day that I have gone onto the standard, non-contracted, daily rate.

I am sooo angry! What else was I to do? I called Avis to ask the question in order not to incur additional charges, I get told I have 15 hrs and then they slap a £915 addition charge on me for following their advice.

I am at a loss really as to where to go from here. It is basically their word against mine as I did not get it in writing and I suspect that they won't be able to find the recording of the telephone conversation.

I want to take this further but who should I take it to? I paid with a visa debit card (to avoid the CC fees on a £7000 holiday)... should I in the first place charge-back on my visa debit card or try complaining elsewhere first?

Hi OP,

Think I recall mentioning this on your other thread about picking up the car late. It does seem like you were not advised correctly about how many hours Avis leave until they cancel your booking. It's not clear from the thread whether Avis provided you with a receipt on collection that provided a breakdown of estimated charges, as this could have been the first tell that things were not quite right. I remember spending nearly an hour at the preferred counter for the manager to make a number of adjustments to my booking so I could still get the voucher rate after collecting the car just over 12 hours late.

I can understand why BA can't do anything about it so would urge you to contact Avis directly to explain what happened and try and get a refund. I suspect this may be a challenge, but something they may be willing to do for the sake of customer service...

I don't see why any card charge back would be valid option. It sounds like you entered into a new contract at the higher price and this was not realized until you got the final charge.

Some good advice up thread that you have already recognized.

Good luck :)

corporate-wage-slave Sep 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Can you clarify whether the unexpected bill from Avis was also to a Visa debit or a UK credit card?

I'm not an expert in car hire legalese, but my first thought is that it is that Avis should be the focus of your complaint, since if I have understood correctly, they said one thing and did something else. Had you known about the additional charge you would not have deferred by 15 hours.

doctoravios Sep 19, 2017 3:20 pm

I know this is a long shot but did you, by any chance, pay the deposit on a credit card? If so, then you could still make a section 75 claim through the credit card even if you paid the remaining balance on a different debit card. However, the onus would still be upon you to demonstrate that you were incorrectly charged (which might be difficult if you have nothing in writing).

snaxmuppet Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm

As I said earlier... payment was by visa debit card.

I was told, on two separate telephone conversations, that I had 15 hrs grace by Avis customer support.

I cannot find anywhere in any of the BA Holiday T&Cs that there is any time constraint to car pick up. That is why I contacted Avis.

Looks like this little cock up by Avis will cost me £915. I will never book with BA Holidays or Avis again... unfortunately I have a booking outstanding for November. After that... never again.

I will try a charge-back through my bank but as you say... it is their word against mine.

lavajava Sep 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet (Post 28835693)
As I said earlier... payment was by visa debit card.

I was told, on two separate telephone conversations, that I had 15 hrs grace by Avis customer support.

I cannot find anywhere in any of the BA Holiday T&Cs that there is any time constraint to car pick up. That is why I contacted Avis.

Looks like this little cock up by Avis will cost me £915. I will never book with BA Holidays or Avis again... unfortunately I have a booking outstanding for November. After that... never again.

I will try a charge-back through my bank but as you say... it is their word against mine.

I know this must be really frustrating, not to mention the potential loss of >£900. Please take this to Avis and see what they say, as CWS says, it's not like you would left it 15 hours if you had known there would be a charge. I've found the Avis office in Berkshire, UK to be quite helpful in resolving issues I've had post rental, including one where I had signed for extra upgrade charges but hadn't realised/was never explained to me at the counter.

Perhaps your bank may agree to dispute the extra charge with Avis on your behalf, I believe you do have at least some protection using a UK debit card.. It seems BA may have already gone down this avenue by investigating your complaint.

Let us know how you get on.

Ldnn1 Sep 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet (Post 28835693)

Your word could actually be pretty strong evidence, were it to end up in court (which hopefully it won't).

I'd definitely be pursuing it with Avis and your card issuer if I were you. I don't think BA Holidays are in the wrong in this instance.

Your biggest hurdle may be if the charge was properly set out in front of you at the time you signed for the car, but you didn't read it. But that's very commonly the case with car rental ruses and if the agent didn't mention at all to you that - despite you having a prepaid voucher - you would be charged a huge sum which you could never previously have been aware of let alone agreed, then I don't think that charge is defensible.

snaxmuppet Sep 19, 2017 4:17 pm

I have emailed Avis customer service in the UK and explained. I will see what they say.

snaxmuppet Sep 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 28835804)
Your biggest hurdle may be if the charge was properly set out in front of you at the time you signed for the car, but you didn't read it. But that's very commonly the case with car rental ruses and if the agent didn't mention at all to you that - despite you having a prepaid voucher - you would be charged a huge sum which you could never previously have been aware of let alone agreed, then I don't think that charge is defensible.

I was given a slip with the daily charge on it and the estimated total but no, I didn't read it. Why should I? I had a voucher that fully covered the cost of my booking. Nothing was mentioned to me that the rate had changed from that booked with BA Holidays and I was not told that the voucher would no longer fully cover the charges. Quite appalling.

Rather naively, I reckoned that if my voucher would not cover the cost of the rental then it would have been mentioned at the time of pickup. Nothing was mentioned at all. I feel as though I have been robbed!

Ldnn1 Sep 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Well whatever the eventual outcome of your dispute, on the plus side you have at least now learnt the golden rule of car hire - ALWAYS check the rental agreement charges! :)

Best of luck with the fight...

lavajava Sep 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet (Post 28835837)
I was given a slip with the daily charge on it and the estimated total but no, I didn't read it. Why should I? I had a voucher that fully covered the cost of my booking. Nothing was mentioned to me that the rate had changed from that booked with BA Holidays and I was not told that the voucher would no longer fully cover the charges. Quite appalling.

Rather naively, I reckoned that if my voucher would not cover the cost of the rental then it would have been mentioned at the time of pickup. Nothing was mentioned at all. I feel as though I have been robbed!

If this was at a counter rather than at the exit gate, then I can certainly understand why you would be very unhappy about this. The agent really should have mentioned any extra charges, and I think this is your best argument with Avis.

There seems to be nothing at all in the Avis Terms and Conditions about late collections being cancelled. Would be good to get some definitive facts (wonders if the Avis forum might know)

NickB Sep 19, 2017 4:46 pm

My partner had a similar issue on a BA Holidays fly-drive when he dropped off his Avis car a day early (as opposed to picking up a day late). He rushed off without paying attention to the return slip and we later received an invoice (debited from his credit card) for an astronomical amount (I can't remember the exact sum but it was of the order of £600 for an original rental cost of under £100). It seems that avis computers automatically recalculate the rental cost at walk-up rates if the pick-up or drop-off date is different from that originally contracted. I looked into it a bit and it seemed a little tricky legally. I was mentally preparing myself for the possibility of an awkward legal fight but, after BA Hols forwarded our complaint to Avis, Avis immediately agreed to refund the extra payment without making any fuss.

DYKWIA Sep 20, 2017 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 28786877)
When were you due to collect and return the vehicle?

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet (Post 28786881)
On the dates I actually did collect and return :)

It really would have helped if you'd given the full information up front...

aceman Sep 20, 2017 3:36 am

Call them up as if you're contemplating a new booking under the same situation as the previous booking, and this time record what they say. If the agent on the phone also tells you about the 15 hours you have them. If you get that recorded, I'd call and get another agent saying the same thing. After the fact perhaps but shows that they're giving out that info and should greatly strengthen your case.

Fitch Sep 20, 2017 5:26 am

Originally Posted by aceman (Post 28837400)
Call them up as if you're contemplating a new booking under the same situation as the previous booking, and this time record what they say. If the agent on the phone also tells you about the 15 hours you have them. If you get that recorded, I'd call and get another agent saying the same thing. After the fact perhaps but shows that they're giving out that info and should greatly strengthen your case.

Sneaky, but I love it :)

lavajava Sep 20, 2017 6:47 am

Hi OP,
I just called Avis as I needed to add my preferred number to a booking made with Avios.com/Voucher. I spoke to someone helpful in customer service and thought I would ask your question as a theoretical one, for my LA booking. The lady explained that they should not really fully cancel a booking but some stations have been known to do this, and if they did and set out a new agreement that they would refund any additional charges.. Customer Service: 0808 284 6666

bhbloke Sep 20, 2017 6:51 am

I had my car hire from Avis (real Avis, not a franchise) from Belfast City this weekend as part of a prepaid BA holiday booking.

When I dropped the car back they gave me a receipt showing a cost, with amount owing as zero. The cost on the receipt was way more than the 2 pounds it actually cost me on top of the flights.

snaxmuppet Sep 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 28837374)
It really would have helped if you'd given the full information up front...

I was told that the original contract would stand if I collected within 15 hrs so as far as I am concerned it was on the original contract and so as far as Avis is concerned it was collected on the original date ( or up to 15 hrs after).

Sorry if you felt I have misled you but IMO it actually doesn't matter which day I collected the car providing it is within the allowed period.

lavajava Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet (Post 28839811)
I was told that the original contract would stand if I collected within 15 hrs so as far as I am concerned it was on the original contract and so as far as Avis is concerned it was collected on the original date ( or up to 15 hrs after).

Sorry if you felt I have misled you but IMO it actually doesn't matter which day I collected the car providing it is within the allowed period.

See my note above. Based on my call today with Avis I can see you getting this back :)

snaxmuppet Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by lavajava (Post 28837781)
Hi OP,
I just called Avis as I needed to add my preferred number to a booking made with Avios.com/Voucher. I spoke to someone helpful in customer service and thought I would ask your question as a theoretical one, for my LA booking. The lady explained that they should not really fully cancel a booking but some stations have been known to do this, and if they did and set out a new agreement that they would refund any additional charges.. Customer Service: 0808 284 6666

Thanks... I have written to Avis UK Customer Service but I received an auto-acknowledgement to say they will reply within 15 days :eek::eek::eek:

lavajava Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet (Post 28839820)
Thanks... I have written to Avis UK Customer Service but I received an auto-acknowledgement to say they will reply within 15 days :eek::eek::eek:

Maybe worth a call in the morning :) All the best!

ppp909 Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Don't bother emailing Avis. They don't reply. Call them and you should get through reasonably quickly.

GrahamClarke Sep 20, 2017 4:57 pm

I had a issue with Avis this week, after getting back from a holiday in South Africa.

Booked 3 cars (Cape Town, Bloemfontein then Cape Town again) via BA web site. Paid for all three via Avios points.

I was told about small charges due to fluctuation in exchange rates. Was charged approx. £1 for first booking, £6 for second, which was OK. My third booking I was charged £218!

Upon calling Avis they said that "the BA voucher hadn't been applied" and said that this can be a problem at some locations. I pointed out that the voucher had been applied first time round in Cape Town so why not the second? They had no answer for that.

Apparently I should get a CC refund within 5-7 days. We'll see...