Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Irma and Jose Sept 2017 - BA rebooking and refund options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Irma and Jose Sept 2017 - BA rebooking and refund options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by flabound
5am and all good so far, quite a breeze with the heavier stuff in around 8-9 hours..........if you have no one here, PM me your address and I will check your house out afterwards for any damage. we are one of the largest home builders in Rotonda, spent Thursday putting up shutters for the elderly and infirm and then Friday securing sites , no other builder has so there are portaloos ready to fly around and dumpsters (skips) full of crap which didn't get covered............
^ thanks for the offer but we have neighbours staying put and keeping a look out! We have shutters up so fingers crossed! Family are due to fly on Tuesday if TPA opens. Doesn't look too bad On the camera at the moment! Stay safe!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Sunday updates.

Currently back to normal services:
Antigua
Bermuda
Barbados
Cancun
Grand Cayman (however not stopping at Nassau)
Punta Cana
St. Kitts / Christopher (SKB) - the next scheduled service is Wednesday via Antigua (ANU)

Sunday
Nothing operating from Florida or Nassau

Monday
All flights are still in the timetable but awaiting individual airport decisions on whether they can operate. AA have cancelled their MIA services which are all BA codeshared.

A LGW 777 has flown to BDA / Bermuda and is being held there in anticipation of doing some sort of Florida service on Monday.
Hello CWS - do you know how the BDA flight might operate?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Eaunoire
^ thanks for the offer but we have neighbours staying put and keeping a look out! We have shutters up so fingers crossed! Family are due to fly on Tuesday if TPA opens. Doesn't look too bad On the camera at the moment! Stay safe!
that's good....just before 1pm now and the winds are ramping up, been pouring hard all morning, gusts now up to 50mph, the big stuff comes in a few hours.........................
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Hello CWS - do you know how the BDA flight might operate?
My guess would be that they would use it on TPA, MCO, FLL or MIA, perhaps in that order, on Monday depending on location conditions, to ferry urgent cases back to LGW, and perhaps in connection with staff rotations too. But that is just a guess.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
My parents have a condo in Bradenton (about 15 mins drive inland from Anna Maria). The condo is on the top floor of a 3 storey block, so we're all praying that the roof remains intact.

Parents are are in the UK, next visit in November. My wife and I are going for Christmas.

Anna Maria Island looks like it's going to be completely inundated by storm surge. Current forecast is 3-8 feet of water. AMI's highest point is 5ft above sea level.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
It's been quite terrible in Miami today - tons of damage, power outages, and now the storm surges are really affecting downtown, particularly Brickell.

My house in Miami Beach - I lost my big tree in my garden, the whole back yard has basically been destroyed, and now under about a foot of water - but my house - 1930's poured concrete with impact glass, has so far survived in tact, and we're 5 feet above sea level, so so far so good. And we are one of the very few homes who still have power - for those who know the area, my house is on the same grid as Mt Sinai hospital, so we have a very well protected grid.

As I type this, my phone screams another tornado warning. This storm is huge. Unrelenting.

To bring to some sort of on topic-ness (sorry mods) - I suggest anyone flying out of MIA, FLL, TPA and MCO in the next 3 days check regularly - this storm is brutal, so I have to wonder if a regular schedule will be flown on Tuesday.

I wish all my Flyertalk friends who live, or spend time in Florida the very best of luck. I'm a little heartbroken to lose a lovely garden I've spent years nurturing, but its a garden. It grows back. Lives don't, so I hope everyone takes care of themselves first - property, vacations etc can be looked at another time. Best wishes everyone.
gustavmahler and Ldnn1 like this.

Last edited by Jet Ranger; Sep 10, 2017 at 1:32 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
It's been quite terrible in Miami today - tons of damage, power outages, and now the storm surges are really affecting downtown, particularly Brickell.

My house in Miami Beach - I lost my big tree in my garden, the whole back yard has basically been destroyed, and now under about a foot of water - but my house - 1930's poured concrete with impact glass, has so far survived in tact, and we're 5 feet above sea level, so so far so good. And we are one of the very few homes who still have power - for those who know the area, my house is on the same grid as Mt Sinai hospital, so we have a very well protected grid.

As I type this, my phone screams another tornado warning. This storm is huge. Unrelenting.

To bring to some sort of on topic-ness (sorry mods) - I suggest anyone flying out of MIA, FLL, TPA and MCO in the next 3 days check regularly - this storm is brutal, so I have to wonder if a regular schedule will be flown on Tuesday.

I wish all my Flyertalk friends who live, or spend time in Florida the very best of luck. I'm a little heartbroken to lose a lovely garden I've spent years nurturing, but its a garden. It grows back. Lives don't, so I hope everyone takes care of themselves first - property, vacations etc can be looked at another time. Best wishes everyone.
So sorry to hear how bad things are and pleased to hear you are safe - may it continue. Your garden will renew and hopefully some parts quickly.

I will take your advice about watching the airport websites to see how they are coping and whether or not they reopen quickly.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sunday evening update:

All Florida airports: MIA/FLL/TPA/MCO
All BA flights are now cancelled for Monday as well as Sunday. The next FLL service was due to be Thursday (maybe the spare BDA aircraft will go there on Tuesday, just speculating here). No decision on Tuesday services, it will depend on the advice given by the relevant airports.

Miami: http://news.miami-airport.com/?h=1&t=news
Miami Twitter: https://twitter.com/iflymia (note not the top Google entry).

Fort Lauderdale (not informative): http://www.broward.org/airport/Pages/Default.aspx
FLL Twitter (best place): https://twitter.com/FLLFlyer

Orlando: https://www.orlandoairports.net/
MCO Twitter: https://twitter.com/MCO

Tampa: http://www.tampaairport.com/traveler...hurricane-irma
TPA Twitter: https://twitter.com/FlyTPA
TPA Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FlyTPA/

Nassau and Grand Cayman
Will resume as normal from and including Monday.

Rest of Caribbean seems back to normal now, at least in terms of scheduled flights.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA (OW) - Silver (Sapphire), HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Platinum. Falling!!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Advisory 9 has now been issued, similar to Advisory 8 but with the addition of:

- CUN is an acceptable gateway for both BA and AA
- Refunds are now allowed on flights operating to the 14th September to the destinations listed including SJU. However many are now cancelled so refunds would be allowed anyway.

- For St Kitts (Christopher) and Antigua, the advisory for Jose allows refunds for flights to the 14th, and rebooking to 14 October.
CWS - are refunds still being offered? I can't see this on Ba.com, still only rebooking. As I put in my other note (didn't see this thread), my mum is due to travel to Mia wed. Thx
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by joecooljoe
CWS - are refunds still being offered? I can't see this on Ba.com, still only rebooking. As I put in my other note (didn't see this thread), my mum is due to travel to Mia wed. Thx
As far as I can tell, flights up to and including Tuesday allow for effectively a credit note, no refunds but the value can be used for any other BA travel, effectively in the next year. For MIA that means just Tuesday flights now, since flights on Monday have been cancelled and therefore eligible for refund. I am not sure if that is still current advice, but I will find out more in a few hours.

Flights until Sunday 17 September can be rebooked for later in the month of September, I'm sure that's still current since it's under American Joint Business and AA is saying the same. No refunds.

I would be talking to her insurance company today, on a what-if basis, if a cancellation looks inevitable. I will update this thread as soon as I hear anything more.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:57 pm

MIA
The early flight from LHR to Miami on Tuesday has now been cancelled, BA207, the later flight BA209 remains in the schedule. Passengers on that flight can rebook or recycle the ticket cost to another flight to any BA destination. For the return, however, both MIA-LHR services are currently showing as operating on Tuesday. AA is running both flights, but not MIA-MCO. Wednesday currently a full timetable. There are indications that the airport wants to return to a full service on Tuesday.

MCO
For Orlando, similar to MIA, first service BA2037 on Tuesday is cancelled BA2037, second service still operating BA2039, Wednesday both services still on schedule at the moment. However note that currently both services on Tuesday are currently showing as operating from MCO to LGW, suggesting that the first service, BA2036, is the BDA standby aircraft or going empty from LGW-MCO.

FLL
Fort Lauderdale: Remains cancelled until the Thursday service.

TPA
Only service to and from Tampa is cancelled on Tuesday both directions, down as operating on Wednesday.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for the regular updates CWS!
I have been monitoring the news across the weekend - fortunately Irma passed Tampa on the East, as Category 1, so possible storm surge issues aside (should know extent of this later today), it looks like Tampa escaped the worst of it. I'll likely still head over now as planned this Saturday.
I hope nothing was too bad for everyone on here who lives in, has family / friends or property in Florida!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:49 am

6.45 am and we are still here, the storm hit us yesterday afternoon and evening but fortunately lost puff and moved slightly so the storm surge was less than expected.

from what we saw Miami got badly hit, Tampa less so.

Rainy days forecast for this week, so check if you plan on visiting ...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:30 am

Update 8 - 10 SEP (Sunday)
===

Firstly this section 1 is for those on BA or IB tickets (125 or 075 tickets) on BA or IB metal and flight numbers, however if you want to rebook on to AA / AY then the second section applies (and is more restrictive date wise). Section 2 also applies if you want to travel in September, not October.
-
Rebook onto.. BA or IB only

Routes affected London or Madrid to / from:-
MIA – Miami
FLL – Fort Lauderdale
TPA –Tampa
MCO – Orlando

Tickets issued by 06-Sep-17

Ticket travel dates 07-17 September 2017 inclusive
New travel dates 01 – 14 October 2017

Rebooking Allowance Rebook the same point of origin/destination into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin
Origin/Destination/Stopover changes No

Refunds Allowed No - however, customers with an unused ticket may use the value of their ticket towards the purchase of a new ticket to an alternative BA destination and pay the difference in fare and taxes but not be charged any service/reissue fee

Redemptions included Yes
Available for Trade Yes
Important Info one involuntary ticket change allowed

These guidelines are separate to any that may be issued through AJB for travel on American or Iberia
====
So in simple terms if you are on operating flight between now and Sunday, you can travel on a date up to 14 October, or rebook to anywhere else in the next year.

=====
Section 2

For American Joint Business tickets - so codeshares and AA tickets typically, there is a slightly less generous rebooking only offer:

The State of Florida is currently in the forecasted path of Hurricane Irma, with possible transport disruption expected over the weekend.

Advise (sic) for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA, AA IB or AY flight is still OPERATING.

Rebook onto.. BA, AA, IB or AY Joint Business

Airports affected
The following AJB hubs:-
MIA – Miami
FLL – Fort Lauderdale
MCO – Orlando
TPA – Tampa

The following AA destinations:-
EYW – Key West
PBI – West Palm Beach
RSW – Fort Myers
SRQ – Sarasota
DAB – Daytona Beach
MLB – Melbourne
GNV – Gainesville
PNS – Pensacola
TLH – Tallahassee
VPS – Destin Ft Walton Beach
JAX – Jacksonville

Tickets issued by 10-Sep-17
Ticket travel dates 05 – 17 September 2017 inclusive
New travel dates 05 – 30 September 2017 inclusive

Rebooking Allowance Rebook the same point of origin/destination into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin
Origin/Destination/Stopover changes Rebook to/from an alternative US gateway within 600 miles of the original airport.

Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin

Travel between the original airport and the alternative US gateway is at the customer’s own expense, including car hire, hotels, taxi etc. Please add a remark into the PNR that the customer has been advised.

Refunds Allowed Yes
Redemptions included Yes
Available for Trade Yes
Important Info one involuntary ticket change allowed
====

Note that a cancelled flight has a different set of options, whether BA or Joint Business, namely a full refund option or a rebooking on the route concerned up to 355 days away.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I managed to make it through this one without loss of power, except for a few seconds. Lights do flicker every now and then...

Winds are still gusty, but calmer than during the night. Didn't sleep much due to emergency alerts on phones about flash flood warnings. I'm still here though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.