Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Irma and Jose Sept 2017 - BA rebooking and refund options

Hurricane Irma and Jose Sept 2017 - BA rebooking and refund options

Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Slliw
Hi, long term lurker here. Mrs and I booked a BA holiday package for Miami beach (Residence Inn surfside) cash booking non avios WTP from the 18th - 28th Sept. (LHR -MIA) We planned to get married out there and have booked the ceremony and everything.
I'm sure you must be very concerned about this, but my personal view is that it is best to wait until early next week. BA Holidays are covered by several sets of legislation, giving you more protection than just a flight only booking. BA Holidays has a very good reputation around these parts. If I was in your position I would be very grateful that the booking was in the hands of that section of BA since they are probably more likely that any other organisation I can think of to sort you out. A lot will depend on whether the hotel side is viable, and at this stage frankly it's difficult to second guess the situation. I'm not sure that calling is necessarily a good idea unless you know for sure now that you can't go to Miami. But in essence, a late switch to Vegas may be an option. Also consider Maui or the Napa Valley.

I hope it works out, one way or the other. Good luck for your future lives together.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flabound
Lots of people evacuated from around here but we have 4 dogs and are going to see it out in the best British Blitz spirit.................so we will see
Good luck and Godspeed to you and the doggies!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Its 6am here in SW Fla, we are in Rotonda half way between Fort Myers and Tampa (...) Lots of people evacuated from around here but we have 4 dogs and are going to see it out in the best British Blitz spirit.................so we will see
Best of luck to you all!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:17 am

Tampa update:

Tampa

BA2167 from London Gatwick to Tampa on Saturday 09 September will operate but has been re-timed to an earlier departure. [And has departed]
BA2166 from Tampa to London Gatwick on Saturday 09 September will operate but has been re-timed to an earlier departure.

Sunday - cancelled - so that now means BA and AA have cancelled all services to Florida on Sunday.

Monday - showing as operating, but I have my doubts
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm sure you must be very concerned about this, but my personal view is that it is best to wait until early next week. BA Holidays are covered by several sets of legislation, giving you more protection than just a flight only booking. BA Holidays has a very good reputation around these parts. If I was in your position I would be very grateful that the booking was in the hands of that section of BA since they are probably more likely that any other organisation I can think of to sort you out. A lot will depend on whether the hotel side is viable, and at this stage frankly it's difficult to second guess the situation. I'm not sure that calling is necessarily a good idea unless you know for sure now that you can't go to Miami. But in essence, a late switch to Vegas may be an option. Also consider Maui or the Napa Valley.

I hope it works out, one way or the other. Good luck for your future lives together.
Thanks for the response CWS , just wasn't sure if it was one of those situations where we needed to move quickly rather than later. Ideally we would like to still go to Miami as we've planned this trip since March but will have to wait and see how it plays out. Emailed the hotel and they have already evacuated guests and staff to another location.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Sitting here very nervously watching the progress of Irma - have a flight to Miami on Wednesday and haven't re-arranged ( its a 2-4-1 CW ) also a commercial AA ticket Miami - Orlando on Thursday. Does anyone think BA would allow a change even if no Avios availability and can still cancel the AA one? I may not even have a house to go to.

Under the circumstances I feel guilty even asking the question when so many people are suffering so much and Irma hasn't yet reached Miami properly yet.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Its 6am here in SW Fla, we are in Rotonda half way between Fort Myers and Tampa. TPA and MCO will be closed by 6pm tonight.......and I would suggest anyone with bookings to come here in next few days reconsiders. Since the path changed 36 hours ago we are directly in Irmas route, everything has closed down, shops restaurants and its quite surreal. We put our shutters up yesterday and can now only wait. should know by Tuesday am UK time things are but we are expecting power outages, so not the bets time for a vacation !! Lots of people evacuated from around here but we have 4 dogs and are going to see it out in the best British Blitz spirit.................so we will see
Best of luck for the next few days, hopefully it'll be massively decreased before it reaches you.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Does anyone think BA would allow a change even if no Avios availability...
Yes; that's already published in BA's policy at: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=5987

Currently, flights to Florida up to and including the 17th are changeable.

...and can still cancel the AA one? I may not even have a house to go to.
Probably similar for AA too, but check here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp then access your booking on aa.com where it should give more specific options.

Hoping for the best for your house.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
In Miami Beach right now. It's just awful outside. 2 bands have gone through, the second much worse. The city was like a ghost town today.
Under a curfew in Miami Beach right now, until sometime tomorrow.

But the storm has moved way further west than first thought. It will be annoying for Miami, but I doubt the catastrophic destruction many predicted.
Still, its early days, and it could still move. We are home watching intently.
Flabound has way more reason to worry, as the storm took a turn west up that side of the peninsula. So sorry my friend. I wish you good luck and safety!
This storm is huge. We will feel in Miami as well....

Anyway back on topic, Brighterside I think you will be ok on Wednesday. The storm will be long gone and MIA is well inland, and good at dealing with this, and won't be hit by any storm surge. So you should be fine.

PR and SJU were hit quite hard by Irma, and it was operating ok today.
I'm flying out of MIA to LAX on Tuesday and no indication of any delay or cancellation options. I'm sure your BA flight on Wednesday will be fine.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:50 am

Its 6am here in SW Fla, we are in Rotonda half way between Fort Myers and Tampa. TPA and MCO will be closed by 6pm tonight.......and I would suggest anyone with bookings to come here in next few days reconsiders. Since the path changed 36 hours ago we are directly in Irmas route, everything has closed down, shops restaurants and its quite surreal. We put our shutters up yesterday and can now only wait. should know by Tuesday am UK time things are but we are expecting power outages, so not the bets time for a vacation !! Lots of people evacuated from around here but we have 4 dogs and are going to see it out in the best British Blitz spirit.................so we will see
Good luck! We are nervously watching our house in Rotonda from the uk over nest cams!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Eaunoire
Good luck! We are nervously watching our house in Rotonda from the uk over nest cams!
5am and all good so far, quite a breeze with the heavier stuff in around 8-9 hours..........if you have no one here, PM me your address and I will check your house out afterwards for any damage. we are one of the largest home builders in Rotonda, spent Thursday putting up shutters for the elderly and infirm and then Friday securing sites , no other builder has so there are portaloos ready to fly around and dumpsters (skips) full of crap which didn't get covered............
caz312, T8191 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:34 am

Sunday updates.

Currently back to normal services:
Antigua
Bermuda
Barbados
Cancun
Grand Cayman (however not stopping at Nassau)
Punta Cana
St. Kitts / Christopher (SKB) - the next scheduled service is Wednesday via Antigua (ANU)

Sunday
Nothing operating from Florida or Nassau

Monday
All flights are still in the timetable but awaiting individual airport decisions on whether they can operate. AA have cancelled their MIA services which are all BA codeshared.

A LGW 777 has flown to BDA / Bermuda and is being held there in anticipation of doing some sort of Florida service on Monday.
LadyPenelope likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:44 am

I would seriously doubt TPA will see much action Monday. MIA has a chance depending on any damage.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would seriously doubt TPA will see much action Monday. MIA has a chance depending on any damage.
One factor for MIA is that many of the airport and TSA staff might have evacuated to Orlando or further north. Could be tricky for them to return if the bad weather is still heading in that direction.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Florida holds a special place in my travel log having been visiting there for 25+ yrs and I was there in March, so I wish all people safe and sound who ever is affected by this.

I hope BA can and are extending help and support amidst the destruction in the Caribbean, whether its cargo supplies or transporting people. Stay safe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.