Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA -> Qantas Program Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF will start flying SYD-SIN-LHR with a A380 from March next year, so will have PE (and first)
True. That may well change things quite dramatically but I'll only have a year left here then
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
True. That may well change things quite dramatically but I'll only have a year left here then
You can stay in Aussie. Some others never go home
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:18 am

You might also consider the free to join AA miles scheme for use on oneworld carriers - despite the sad end of the LHR/SYD in F for 80k miles, the 110k is still quite reasonable. I've just booked family trips for June 18 in BA First SYD/SIN for 50k and another in BA F SIN/LHR for 90k AA Miles each. Their frequent "Buy Miles with a Bonus" sales can also make sense depending on the offer particularly when the A$ is strong - I think the recent one offered 250k for around US$4200, so you can do the arithmetic on my sample routings (fees & taxes are as for the BA,QF etc).
If you're doing any intra Asia flying, Avios redemptions on CX are great value with virtually none of the fees & taxes which you get flying on BA & QF.
Finally, bear in mind QF points can be used on EK as well as oneworld carriers.
My own conclusion was to keep all 3 schemes - with hindsight, the QF points (which can be earned at supermarkets, credit cards etc) are the easiest to earn but the hardest to use.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sxc
To get 4 BA sectors obviously! Worse flying routes have been manufactured to earn points/sectors/avios.....
Yes, I know that, but what I meant/said is that it has a cost in terms of actual travel: less good timing choices and flexibility, less comfort, less competitive options, and higher prices. I'm always wary of models which put the FFP needs above the traveller's ones!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
But QF don't have a PE offering to SIN from SYD
I think they will have next year when they resume SYD-SIN-LHR.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm always wary of models which put the FFP needs above the traveller's ones!
I agree, that often leads to interesting feeling of resentment and dissatisfaction.

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
As you may only be in Australia for 3 years - how far are you to life time status on BAEC?
On the other hand, if the 3 years in Australia involve a lot of flying, it might be worth getting a QF Lifetime Gold which is easy to attain if you fly quite a lot over 3 years. At least you'll then get a lifetime OW Sapphire, whereas BA Lifetime Gold may be a long way away.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways
Smile Thanks

Hi everyone, OP here.

Thanks for all your advice. There are more considerations than I had realised.

I am a long way from lifetime Gold on BA, but very close to moving from Silver to Gold. I think I will get to Gold by collecting through BA, then switch to collecting through Qantas Frequent Flyer for the duration of my Australia secondment. My BA Gold will lapse to Silver in March 2019, by which time I would hope to have reached Qantas Platinum.
I will try my luck requesting a status match to see if I can jump straight to it, but I realise this is unlikely.
As I get closer to returning to the UK, I'll start collecting through BA again, just to maintain Silver, which should be easy.

So if all goes well, I remain Oneworld emerald for the entirety, and I collect points in the jurisdiction that I can spend them more easily (Avios in UK, and whatever the Qantas equivalent is in Australia). I'm afraid the varying earn rate and burn rate is a little over my head. I don't get that much choice over my routes etc, so I think it makes most sense to be collecting through the right domestic airline program. Correct me if this is very faulty reasoning...

Cheers everyone!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hutchio
I don't think I can use avios here that easily ...
Actually, if you're in Sydney, there's a pretty good value use of Avios: short domestic flights on QF. For example, SYD-MEL in business class for 9,000 Avios plus about Ł10. And with the frequency on routes like SYD-MEL and SYD-BNE, there's usually fairly good availability.

And if nobody has yet said it: Welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.