CE domestic followed by WT+ long haul?

Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
CE domestic followed by WT+ long haul?

This year, when the CE cabins were introduced for domestic journeys all our WT+ long haul journeys had the BHD-LHR WT tickets upgraded to CE.

When I look at booking similar for next spring this option doesn't seem to be available. Were we simply benefiting from a glitch that benefited us?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Basically yes

You were originally booked in a class that allowed lounge access on the domestic leg and BA honoured that by putting you into CE.

Now you need to buy CE ticket if you want that
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

One of us is now Silver (weirdly with a card expiry date of Dec 2020, not 2019 probably due to an error with the 2 year extension) and the other will be soon. So lounge access is available anyway for the next 3 years.

Your info is interesting. I didn't know that WT+ gave us Lounge Access at that time.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
What about those poor folk in Jersey? Didn't they used to get booked into CE on WT+ bookings?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
What about those poor folk in Jersey? Didn't they used to get booked into CE on WT+ bookings?
Yes

and without APD the flights from jersey to vegas (back when they did LGW-LAS) in WTP were cheap and gave 260 tp return...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Stormbel
One of us is now Silver (weirdly with a card expiry date of Dec 2020, not 2019 probably due to an error with the 2 year extension) and the other will be soon. So lounge access is available anyway for the next 3 years.

Your info is interesting. I didn't know that WT+ gave us Lounge Access at that time.
WT+ didn't give you lounge access.

Before CE was introduced on Domestic Flights - the domestic connections to WT+ booked into Business UK which gave lounge access. Only applied to the domestic flight.

So weirdly on a WT+ trip you'd have lounge access at your Domestic starting point - but when you arrived in LHR to wait for your long haul you wouldn't have lounge access at LHR.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
WT+ didn't give you lounge access.

Before CE was introduced on Domestic Flights - the domestic connections to WT+ booked into Business UK which gave lounge access. Only applied to the domestic flight.

So weirdly on a WT+ trip you'd have lounge access at your Domestic starting point - but when you arrived in LHR to wait for your long haul you wouldn't have lounge access at LHR.
I thought as much.
There isn't the option of choosing to CE with at a WT+ even if I wanted to.
Flying from BHD (which is only 5 minutes from home) is so convenient. Pity that, despite my avid following of this forum and a wish to use other airlines, my only option is DUB which is about 2 1/2 hours door to door.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I thought as much.
Flying from BHD (which is only 5 minutes from home) is so convenient. Pity that, despite my avid following of this forum and a wish to use other airlines, my only option is DUB which is about 2 1/2 hours door to door.
I'm confused: a CE short haul from DUB wouldn't make any more sense than from BHD and would probably cost more than upgrading the long haul to business while you're at it. From BHD you could use avios to upgrade the short-haul into Club, which would be the most cost-effective way (assuming that fuel surcharge and APD don't get you, anyway!)
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought as much.
So previously as noted a long haul WTP would book in to J selling class on the domestic. Since domestic CE has been brought in, the connecting domestic flight books in to K selling class. As you say there is no option to select domestic CE on ba.com.

One option is that when booked you can UuA your domestic flights if there is CE reward availability. This would cost the extra avios (3750 or 4500) and possibly extra APD of Ł13. If you had your domestic flights in CE connecting on to long haul WTP you would get lounge access at BHD but not at LHR on the outbound, and on the inbound you would get lounge access at LHR before your LHR-BHD flight.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
I'm confused: a CE short haul from DUB wouldn't make any more sense than from BHD and would probably cost more than upgrading the long haul to business while you're at it. From BHD you could use avios to upgrade the short-haul into Club, which would be the most cost-effective way (assuming that fuel surcharge and APD don't get you, anyway!)
I probably didn't explain that very well. I simply meant that using any other carrier to fly long hall necessitates flying from DUB so it's usually BA that I choose. I have only once chosen to fly BA from DUB (to LHR only) to get tier points and that was the day of the IT meltdown. It was booked before CE was introduced from BHD. Fortunately they still gave they TPs and I also got the EC261 claim!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.