CE domestic followed by WT+ long haul?

Old Sep 5, 17, 12:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 670
CE domestic followed by WT+ long haul?

This year, when the CE cabins were introduced for domestic journeys all our WT+ long haul journeys had the BHD-LHR WT tickets upgraded to CE.

When I look at booking similar for next spring this option doesn't seem to be available. Were we simply benefiting from a glitch that benefited us?
Stormbel is offline  
Old Sep 5, 17, 1:00 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 2,387
Basically yes

You were originally booked in a class that allowed lounge access on the domestic leg and BA honoured that by putting you into CE.

Now you need to buy CE ticket if you want that
scottishpoet is offline  
Old Sep 5, 17, 1:13 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 670
One of us is now Silver (weirdly with a card expiry date of Dec 2020, not 2019 probably due to an error with the 2 year extension) and the other will be soon. So lounge access is available anyway for the next 3 years.

Your info is interesting. I didn't know that WT+ gave us Lounge Access at that time.
Stormbel is offline  
Old Sep 5, 17, 1:21 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wedged somewhere between BTS and VIE ✈
Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Posts: 5,595
What about those poor folk in Jersey? Didn't they used to get booked into CE on WT+ bookings?
headingwest is offline  
Old Sep 5, 17, 1:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton diamond
Posts: 2,412
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
What about those poor folk in Jersey? Didn't they used to get booked into CE on WT+ bookings?
Yes

and without APD the flights from jersey to vegas (back when they did LGW-LAS) in WTP were cheap and gave 260 tp return...
aceman is offline  
Old Sep 5, 17, 2:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Edinburgh UK
Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Posts: 9,372
Originally Posted by Stormbel View Post
One of us is now Silver (weirdly with a card expiry date of Dec 2020, not 2019 probably due to an error with the 2 year extension) and the other will be soon. So lounge access is available anyway for the next 3 years.

Your info is interesting. I didn't know that WT+ gave us Lounge Access at that time.
WT+ didn't give you lounge access.

Before CE was introduced on Domestic Flights - the domestic connections to WT+ booked into Business UK which gave lounge access. Only applied to the domestic flight.

So weirdly on a WT+ trip you'd have lounge access at your Domestic starting point - but when you arrived in LHR to wait for your long haul you wouldn't have lounge access at LHR.
edi-traveller is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 4:13 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by edi-traveller View Post
WT+ didn't give you lounge access.

Before CE was introduced on Domestic Flights - the domestic connections to WT+ booked into Business UK which gave lounge access. Only applied to the domestic flight.

So weirdly on a WT+ trip you'd have lounge access at your Domestic starting point - but when you arrived in LHR to wait for your long haul you wouldn't have lounge access at LHR.
I thought as much.
There isn't the option of choosing to CE with at a WT+ even if I wanted to.
Flying from BHD (which is only 5 minutes from home) is so convenient. Pity that, despite my avid following of this forum and a wish to use other airlines, my only option is DUB which is about 2 1/2 hours door to door.
Stormbel is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 4:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: München, Germany
Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 5,547
Originally Posted by Stormbel View Post
I thought as much.
There isn't the option of choosing to CE with at a WT+ even if I wanted to.
Flying from BHD (which is only 5 minutes from home) is so convenient. Pity that, despite my avid following of this forum and a wish to use other airlines, my only option is DUB which is about 2 1/2 hours door to door.
I'm confused: a CE short haul from DUB wouldn't make any more sense than from BHD and would probably cost more than upgrading the long haul to business while you're at it. From BHD you could use avios to upgrade the short-haul into Club, which would be the most cost-effective way (assuming that fuel surcharge and APD don't get you, anyway!)
Cymro is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 4:23 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 26,671
Originally Posted by Stormbel View Post
I thought as much.
There isn't the option of choosing to CE with at a WT+ even if I wanted to.
Flying from BHD (which is only 5 minutes from home) is so convenient. Pity that, despite my avid following of this forum and a wish to use other airlines, my only option is DUB which is about 2 1/2 hours door to door.
So previously as noted a long haul WTP would book in to J selling class on the domestic. Since domestic CE has been brought in, the connecting domestic flight books in to K selling class. As you say there is no option to select domestic CE on ba.com.

One option is that when booked you can UuA your domestic flights if there is CE reward availability. This would cost the extra avios (3750 or 4500) and possibly extra APD of £13. If you had your domestic flights in CE connecting on to long haul WTP you would get lounge access at BHD but not at LHR on the outbound, and on the inbound you would get lounge access at LHR before your LHR-BHD flight.
KARFA is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 4:44 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
I'm confused: a CE short haul from DUB wouldn't make any more sense than from BHD and would probably cost more than upgrading the long haul to business while you're at it. From BHD you could use avios to upgrade the short-haul into Club, which would be the most cost-effective way (assuming that fuel surcharge and APD don't get you, anyway!)
I probably didn't explain that very well. I simply meant that using any other carrier to fly long hall necessitates flying from DUB so it's usually BA that I choose. I have only once chosen to fly BA from DUB (to LHR only) to get tier points and that was the day of the IT meltdown. It was booked before CE was introduced from BHD. Fortunately they still gave they TPs and I also got the EC261 claim!
Stormbel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread