Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When a CE food choice is not a choice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Who on earth claimed that? Even the most die-hard of BA apologist knows they're pushing their luck with such a nonsense statement.
I believe it was this post that is being referenced, and the followup discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28779536-post26.html
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you get the right priced fare, a good crew, a clean aircraft, fully catered
Isn't that the definition of "excellent product" no matter what the class or airline? Unfortunately it seems that that there are more and more reports of CE failing to live up to those standards.

If a passenger could be sure that would be what they would always see on board, then I would agree with the definition. Unfortunately, it seems to be becoming more hit and miss.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Yep. Apologies cws - too harsh a word.

But I maintain it's not excellent by reasonable measures. I could see that of F, for example: despite the enhancements over the past few years the overall experience can be excellent - in large part with the right Cabin Crew - although we know it can be just okay (sometimes poor). I can't see that in CE! I should say despite the seating, which doesn't bother me in the way it does some others.
Totally agree. With the long routes and domestics aside, which are a minority, I find CE far worse than what it was before the catering changes. The lovely Ottolenghi-esque salads have gone (and all their nutrition) to cheap plates of carbs or processed meats that you could easily buy in Tesco Express. The quality doesn't fool you otherwise, either. The decanting from the cooking receptacles has gone - a totally retrograde step IMO - and what we are served suffers massively in presentation. There is a reason they plate food in First...
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Isn't that the definition of "excellent product" no matter what the class or airline? Unfortunately it seems that that there are more and more reports of CE failing to live up to those standards.

If a passenger could be sure that would be what they would always see on board, then I would agree with the definition. Unfortunately, it seems to be becoming more hit and miss.
Yes there are plenty of reports here about this, however I'm only going by my personal experiences. Maybe your experiences are different. You will appreciate that I don't put up a daily log of all those CE flights that went well, it would be fairly boring for me, and pretty tedious for you, I suspect. I guess I'm arguing that anecdotes need to be put into a context where not every flight is hitting the definition but many, perhaps most, are. Clearly it should every time, but almost every airline forum on FT has a "why oh why" thread.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi

Agreed, but the ongoing pattern of inconsistency onboard BA is, unfortunately, only one part of the problem. The other (and, many might say, more significant) part is what happens when things go wrong.

Far too often we see first-hand reports of a truly shoddy attitude taken by BA in reaction to legitimate passenger complaints caused by service failures : an attitude characterised by robotic cut & paste written responses ; unreasonable (including zero) offers of redress ; or even a refusal to acknowledge the issue at all with unhelpful talk of food being 'complimentary' so we really owe you nothing at all.

Any commercial organisation that displays such reluctance to properly, meaningfully, address customer concerns is never going to be zealous about wanting to 'excel' to begin with.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by V10
...it achieves the Ronseal goal of doing what it says on the tin...
Does it even do that though? I would love to have this
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I have a solution. Let's go back to not offering a choice on these short flights, then you won't be unhappy when you don't get the choice you would have chosen!

I can't speak for LGW but at LHR these new CE cabins are very busy, busier than even predicted, so I guess some people are happy to pay.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:35 am

Plates!

Please note paninis come in a pack of 3.

So if there are 2 passengers they will load 1 salad and 3 paninis. But they will only load 2 trays of course, rest of the paninis goes to the bin.

If someone buys a ticket last minute, it is very unlikely that they would not have anymore food. But they will not have a plate to put it on. This is when they will say "Sorry we are out of food"
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:53 am
Suspended

If you get the right priced fare, a good crew, a clean aircraft, fully catered, row 1, then all-in-all my personal view is that it can be an excellent product.
In my experience those are things that rarely come together, though!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
Three panini were loaded for a 6-row CE cabin on a recent trip up to INV. My partner and I were in 1AC and were the only ones to get the choice; the couple across the aisle was told they could split a panini as there was only one left.

On my return from INV, a lunch flight with a choice of a beef sandwich or chicken salad, the man behind me got something from the BoB menu as he found the sandwich offered unacceptable; the crew apologized for having to charge him, and I overhead her say "I feel like they've stolen my airline."
I can only assume that the CC member had checked the pax data on her ipad and found that they were travelling on the recently-introduced HPO* fare - in which case the requirement to split the one remaining panini was fully justified.

* = Half Panini Only fare
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by frenzie01
Please note paninis come in a pack of 3.

So if there are 2 passengers they will load 1 salad and 3 paninis. But they will only load 2 trays of course, rest of the paninis goes to the bin.

If someone buys a ticket last minute, it is very unlikely that they would not have anymore food. But they will not have a plate to put it on. This is when they will say "Sorry we are out of food"
Not correct, they load spare empty dishes so that all panini can be served if it is the popular choice.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Does anybody have a picture of this chicken salad? I was offered it coming back from PRG, but there was no salad component, just 2 or 3 pieces of cold breaded chicken. Is that right?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Not correct, they load spare empty dishes so that all panini can be served if it is the popular choice.
Excuse me. They don't load extra trays, not plates.
The result is the same. Spare food left, nothing to serve it on.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by frenzie01
Excuse me. They don't load extra trays, not plates.
The result is the same. Spare food left, nothing to serve it on.
Can't the panini be put on a plate which is then placed on the pull-out table
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you get the right priced fare, a good crew, a clean aircraft, fully catered, row 1, then all-in-all my personal view is that it can be an excellent product.
I try and pick the winning lottery numbers every Saturday...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.